I couldn't handle it anymore
Sep 11, 2007 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Stradius

New Head-Fier
I tried to give the Sennheiser 595s the time to settle in but after 100+ hours of burn-in, the vocals are still muddy and aside from the comfort and aesthetics, Sennheisers just don't seem to be for me.

So I went out and did some listening in the local audio store and settled on the Grado SR-225s. Though they are just out of the box, they sound miles above and I couldn't be more happier... or could I?

I am back square one, however and I am looking to enhance my listening experience with an amplifier. Are there any suggestions of matches for the SR-225s as far as amps go? I do recall reading that Grados tend to work nice with tube amps but that's about all I remember.

Regards

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stradius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't be more happier... or could I?

Sorry that I don't have anything specific to add, but this quote just struck me funny. That's exactly the mentality that got me to go from a Grado SR-60 to Senn. HD 650s with a 0404 USB DAC and LittleDot MK III amp with a couple of weeks.

This place is scary.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 14
I wouldn't buy any amps for SR225, cos the profits are pretty non.

Starting from SR325i and not lower, go tubes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stradius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried to give the Sennheiser 595s the time to settle in but after 100+ hours of burn-in, the vocals are still muddy and aside from the comfort and aesthetics, Sennheisers just don't seem to be for me.

So I went out and did some listening in the local audio store and settled on the Grado SR-225s. Though they are just out of the box, they sound miles above and I couldn't be more happier... or could I?

I am back square one, however and I am looking to enhance my listening experience with an amplifier. Are there any suggestions of matches for the SR-225s as far as amps go? I do recall reading that Grados tend to work nice with tube amps but that's about all I remember.

Regards

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 14
imo, go tubes. I have a 225 as well and all my home amps beat almost all portables like the hornet. Maybe a SOHA or a used Little Dot II+/++. Tubes and Grados have some good synergy imo.

darkvoice is a good combo as well

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't buy any amps for SR225, cos the profits are pretty non.

Starting from SR325i and not lower, go tubes...

pshhhh, the 325i do benefit from amps a little more then the 225s but its not nonexistent!

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 14
All I trying to say is upgrade your phones to HIGH END level first and then think of amps.

I think SR325i would benefit a lot more from tubes than any other low end Grado, include SR225..

And buy or not to buy one its up to him anyway

Cheers
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pshhhh, the 325i do benefit from amps a little more then the 225s but its not nonexistent!

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I trying to say is upgrade your phones to HIGH END level first and then think of amps.

I think SR325i would benefit a lot more from tubes than any other low end Grado, include SR225..

And buy or not to buy one its up to him anyway

Cheers
cool.gif

but IMO, the 325i isint THAT much of an improvement over the 225. If youre gonna upgrade, go all out to the RS-1/2 or even better, to the Joe Grados

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 14
Well, that's your opinion, no probs at all mate
wink.gif

I think a bit different. SR325i are pretty nice upgrade from SR225. Meaning: details, clarity and punch, but tight BASS. They are very musical as well. They are not been loved around here, cos people find their highs pretty picky. Well, I have experienced modded SR325i, from KEES, and let me tell you, JUST GREAT PHONES.
I think I will be buying them one day, replacing my SR225. But for now, I am cool...

Cheers.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but IMO, the 325i isint THAT much of an improvement over the 225. If youre gonna upgrade, go all out to the RS-1/2 or even better, to the Joe Grados

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 14
Well, I am looking to add a slight touch of warmth and a bit of bass - not the kind that drowns everything else out but to add some effect. Thanks for the replies, I'll research into some of the amps mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back