I could really use some guidance from you guys
Jul 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Sidalol

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been looking into headphones now for ages and can't come to a decision, partially because of some questions I can't find answers to and partially because honestly I'm not sure exactly how to identify the music I listen to.

The main reason I want a new headset is for movies and music. Movies are the highest priority followed by music. Some examples of the types of music I listen to are:

David Guetta - She Wolf https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVzljDmoPVs
Regina Spektor - Eet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMEpaVL_WsU

For the first song I figure good bass and mids are what to look for but the second, does her voice count as highs or mids? Some songs have higher vocals than that but I'm not really sure if highs as spoken about here means like really high orchestra strings etc.

My budget ideally is around £200, pushing it at £250 and I may go up to £300 but only for something like "seriously you can't buy xxx for £250 when for £300 you can get this which is in a whole new league". I currently have the Steelseries H Wireless which cost £250 and is my biggest regret ever...even on max volume that thing is just too damn quiet for anything ever (it's too late to return it).

Based on what people are saying I think the DT990 would be best for the kind of thing I'm looking for however I'll be watching movies with my roommate who uses the speakers, are open headphones a total no-go when speakers are playing the same audio in the room? We'll be using a splitter.

If you can recommend any headphones could you please recommend a reasonably priced amp (if required) that will power them and keep within my budget? Trying to find an amp for the DT990s was harder than trying to find a pair of headphones...(still haven't really found an amp). Everyone just says "you'll need a good amp". I also have pretty sensitive ears (physically, like if the padding is squashing my ears) and that's the main reason I get uncomfortable rather than clamping force. Larger ear cups that don't squash my actual ears would be better.

We've finally finished our projector setup which is a JVC-X3 projecting on to a 120' screen and the whole experience is really ruined with a pair of crappy speakers that I have to keep turning up and down during movies when it switches from talking to explosions.

Thank you :)

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 23
Right. Open headphones will let in lots of sound, and other people will be able to hear what you are listening to. Open headphones are best for being used by yourself. Closed headphones seem to suit your needs the best.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 23
 but the second, does her voice count as highs or mids?

Both.  Vocals cover a wide range of frequencies including bass.  There is an upper mid emphasis to a lot of vocal tracks when mixed to allow them to cut through other instruments and occupy their own space.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 23
I know that open headphones will let sound in and out, but the only time I'll ever be around someone while wearing them is when my roommate is using speakers to listen to the exact same thing I'm using the headphones for in the same room. In this particular scenario are they also bad? I'm quite keen to experience open headphones (because I will be listening to music and watching movies alone too) but just really unsure about this scenario.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 23
  I know that open headphones will let sound in and out, but the only time I'll ever be around someone while wearing them is when my roommate is using speakers to listen to the exact same thing I'm using the headphones for in the same room. In this particular scenario are they also bad?

There shouldn't be any problem with that.  It may even have the effect of sounding even bigger, which is what I noticed when I've tried it.  It's probably not at all accurate because of physics issues, but it will probably sound cool.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 23

There shouldn't be any problem with that.  It may even have the effect of sounding even bigger, which is what I noticed when I've tried it.  It's probably not at all accurate because of physics issues, but it will probably sound cool.

That doesn't sound too bad. The only issue may be that it's 2 crappy speakers both pretty close to eachother and not evenly spaced in front of me off to the right so it may distort the audio a bit but as long as it's not going to cause any real issues then that sounds good.

Do you think the 990s are good for what I'm looking for? And could you recommend an amp please that's as cheap as possible but still enough to power the 990 Pro 250ohm or 600ohm?

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 23
  Do you think the 990s are good for what I'm looking for? And could you recommend an amp please that's as cheap as possible but still enough to power the 990 Pro 250ohm or 600ohm?

I tried the DT990 32 Ohm, and my first imprression wasn't great, but I didn't give them much of a chance or burn in.  The cup height adjustment on the yokes was too loose, and wouldn't hold position, and I had the feeling the pair may have been used, so I returned them.  I wasn't crazy about the overall construction and headband design.  If I were to go with a similar pair of Beyers, I would try the DT880, as I like a fuller sounding midrange.  The Schiit Magni or something similar I would consider for an amp due to the price and overall positive reviews.  Don't take my advice on amps, as I don't use one.  I have a USB recording interface instead.  You may want to check this out, as I found it interesting:

https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test

It's not accurate to what your ears would hear, but it's interesting to compare how the headphones sound under the same conditions.  It seems to expose coloration in the sound if present.  The DT880 600ohm clip is one of my favorites on there, but I haven't tried them.  The overall design of the Beyer circumnaurals may not be my thing, though.  I'm using the Sennheiser HD558 right now.  If I were to go higher end, the HD650 seems like it would be something I would like.  I may give the 880 a chance someday...who knows.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 23
I know that open headphones will let sound in and out, but the only time I'll ever be around someone while wearing them is when my roommate is using speakers to listen to the exact same thing I'm using the headphones for in the same room. In this particular scenario are they also bad? I'm quite keen to experience open headphones (because I will be listening to music and watching movies alone too) but just really unsure about this scenario.

Yes. If your running from the same source, you'll probably get delay from what he's listening to because the sound takes more time to travel from the speakers to your ears than from the headphones. I would think it could sound like a muddy mess.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 23
On top of the "muddy mess" I would think it would have the chance to seriously mess up your stereo imaging.  If you have the sounds from the left channel coming only from the left headphone, but he has his speakers physically off to the right of you, or vice versa, you will be getting sound from the left channel on your right side.

I don't know about you, but I could watch the worst quality television and I wouldn't care as long as I believed what I was hearing.  If the sound is not right, it is a definite "no-go" for me.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 23
Yes. If your running from the same source, you'll probably get delay from what he's listening to because the sound takes more time to travel from the speakers to your ears than from the headphones. I would think it could sound like a muddy mess.

I just did a test using my HD 558 along with some M-Audio Av40 budget studio speakers spaced about 18 inches running a few feet in front of my head, and I do hear some phase interaction.  Doing a phase inversion of the signal going into the headphones would probably fix it.  I agree that closed headphones would help, but then he wouldn't be able to talk to his roommate very well. The delay is extremely small, just enough to create a sort of hollow effect.  Not a muddy mess in my opinion, but a less than ideal colored sound.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 23
My general question is, why use headphones at all?  Why not invest in a decent amp or receiver with good speakers for the TV?  You're better off getting headphones for music, and doing some kind of upgrade to your TV sound system.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 23
If your goal is 'the best sound quality' and there are no limitations, then yes, why indeed use headphones. 

If however you are limited by money, space, environment, convenience, lifestyle, tastes, fashion, etc... then there are plenty of reasons to get headphones...... emphasis on the plural 
evil_smiley.gif

Generally speaking, I love speakers for the immersive soundstage and raw physicality of the sound.
But I also love the intimate 'in my head' sound I get from headphones.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #13 of 23
I need headphones because we have thin walls and crappy neighbours. Like I mentioned in the first post I have to keep turning the volume up and down between explosions and speaking which drives me crazy.

After watching a movie last night I think the other guys are right. I didn't have headphones on but I was trying to imagine how the speakers might interfere with my sound and I think it would do exactly as Kylv said and be playing too much left audio into my right ear. The speakers are pretty close to me.

Do you know of any alternative closed headphones that are good for my requirements?

- Great for movies
- Good for the songs above
- Comfortable, preferably large cups
- Pretty good bass

That site is pretty cool for getting an average idea of the differences between them but it's still pretty hard to gauge the real differences as they would be in reality.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 23
  I need headphones because we have thin walls and crappy neighbours. Like I mentioned in the first post I have to keep turning the volume up and down between explosions and speaking which drives me crazy.

After watching a movie last night I think the other guys are right. I didn't have headphones on but I was trying to imagine how the speakers might interfere with my sound and I think it would do exactly as Kylv said and be playing too much left audio into my right ear. The speakers are pretty close to me.

I think it's an odd situation to wear headphones while your roommate uses the speakers.  I would be different if you both used headphones, but if the speakers are still going, you still have the the problem of thin walls and adjusting the volume.  Also, imagining how they might interfere and actually testing it are two different things.  I just tested it again, and don't have any major issues with the sound.  It's a matter of listening for enjoyment, or listening for reference.  Of course, we have may have different tastes.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #15 of 23
I've asked him to get headphones too but he doesn't want to. There's no point in investing in expensive speakers because they'll always have to be on low volume and I'll have to keep messing with the volume for different scenes, so I've decided to get a good pair of headphones to let me enjoy my movies and he's happy to just stick with the 2 crappy speakers on low volume and keep adjusting it throughout the movie. If he wants to get headphones later on (maybe after trying mine) then he's welcome to do so but for now he simply doesn't want to spend the money on them when he's happy with the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back