I clumsily destroyed my 0404 usb. Should I buy another one or are there better options now?
Mar 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DefectiveAudioComponent

Headphoneus Supremus
I managed to clumsily trip over some cables in my crowded home office, and my Creative E-MU 0404 usb fell to the floor and got destroyed.

When I bought it, it was the FOTM of the time. But now maybe there are better alternatives in the same price range? What do you people think?

After I have repaired my musical fidelity xcanv3 hybrid tube headphone amp, I will connnect the DAC to it. (I also damaged the xcan that dropped to the floor as well, but I think it was only the volume pot that I ruined. The XCAN is a much more robust build. In any case it's going for repairs to make sure it's all right all the way through.). And then I'll use some orthodynamic headphones with it, most of the time the Audeze LCD-1.

So, should I go for the 0404 usb again, or do I now have new and exciting options that are better? There was nothing wrong with the sound of the 0404, so there was no reason to change it before it got destroyed.

(I posted this in the wrong forum at first, if someone gets a feeling that you saw this post before. I can't figure out how to undo that though. I am extra clumsy today apparently.)

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 7
If you're gonna just trash it, send it to me. <_<

What exactly do you need? Do you need digital outs, just HP out, balanced, inputs, etc.?

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Do you use ASIO? A nice advantage for the pro and pro-sumer audio interfaces is that they have proper ASIO drivers. No need to fake it using ASIO4ALL.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 7
I usually run mac, so I have no use for AISO at the moment.
What I need most is usb in, rca out. Digital in could be a bonus.
The 0404 had asynchronous transfer as a bonus.
(The 0404 is of no use now, the usb in connector got damaged when it fell.)

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually run mac, so I have no use for AISO at the moment.
What I need most is usb in, rca out. Digital in could be a bonus.
The 0404 had asynchronous transfer as a bonus.
(The 0404 is of no use now, the usb in connector got damaged when it fell.)

First, budget?

Second, was it only the USB that got damaged or the PCB?

Even with a damaged USB it does have normal digital inputs, so I imagine it could be of use to someone here still.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, budget?

Second, was it only the USB that got damaged or the PCB?

Even with a damaged USB it does have normal digital inputs, so I imagine it could be of use to someone here still.

I was thinking about 230 euro, european prices. The Cambridge audio DAC Magic is about the same price here, adding 40 euro to the cost. So units that are priced around the DAC magic and the E-MU 0404 USB are what I look for (even though they probably cost a lot less in the US).

(I don't know if the PCB was damaged. I lifted up the top, but that was as far as I got. The 0404 has two boards, and the USB connector is in between. I couldn't see how to lift the top board off. All the lights turn on normally when I power it up.)

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 7
TBH, if you ARE going to throw it away, let me (or someone else) pick it up at shipping cost instead. These things, if not repairable, might be salvagable into some kind of frankenstein amplifier.

Seeing as I'm in need of a project, amp, experience soldering, and am too poor to buy... just about anything, I'm the ample subject. <_<

Now, back to getting on topic.

Cheap solution: If you can find one on here (since their Euro prices are wonky), a Nuforce uDAC (or HDP for a 'little' more.)

The Musical Fidelity VDAC, a used Audio-GD Compass or FUN (Good luck with finding those, though) are all well reviewed. A used PS Audio DLIII, if you're good with bargains, can land around 250 Euros, and is quite highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back