I chose the DT990s! great cans
Jul 10, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #31 of 32
Well, I have the new 990s and the pair of manufakture 600ohm 990s which are currently at moon audio being repaired (and you can see em on his website as well, the red and silver ones with silver dragon cable) and I can say the 250 ohm ones are a tad silibant. The 600ohm ones sounded almost dull but Im hoping that they were simply not yet broken in. I mean senns had more bite. They were messed up as soon as I received them (they were shorting as soon as I pulled em out of the box) so they might have never been broken in properly.

I had the old 990s with a Wheatfield HA-2, tungsol 6sn7, tung sol 5998, and ge rectifier (which improved the performance a lot and it wasnt supposed too) and that set up was very enjoyable. Im pretty sure the old 990s were slightly silibant as well, so just think tubes amplifying the 990s. The HA-2 worked well for me, and Im willing to bet a WA-3 or other 6080 amps will work great with the phone.

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #32 of 32
As Shahrose said, a few mild dips on EQ (foobar's for me-very precise) will easily fix DT990 sibilance. Not really a purist thing, but I don't hear any problems for the genres I listen to.

Every few months, I think of looking for a sidegrade, maybe into Grados. Then I find a rock track (listening to "When The Levee Breaks", for example...the DT990 bass treats Bonzo right) that sucks me back into the great, fun sound of these cans. The comfort and construction doesn't hurt either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back