I chose the DT990s! great cans
Jun 15, 2008 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ls206

Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm looking to take the plunge into some high quality phones but need some advice as I have nowhere to try out any headsets.

It's hard for me to describe what I want as I don't know all the jargon!
but main qualities are
- High comfort
- Strong bass (punchy, oomph! kind of bass, if that makes sense
confused.gif
)
- Immersible sound (does this relate to the sound stage??)

My budget is around £150 but if given a good enough reason could stretch it a little.

I first have to admit that I have a bias towards the K601s as I love the look of them! I've read a lot about them and they seem to tick all the boxes accept the bass one. (Despite this, their graph doesn't look too bad on the headroom website)

I will be amping the phones
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for reading

EDIT:
I thought I'd put a list of phones that I've looked at.
If anyone has any experience or comparisons between them please share
smily_headphones1.gif

AKG K601 ~ £130
Beyer DT-880 "Retoure" (what does that mean?) ~ £150
Audio Tech AD700 ~ £100
A700 ~ £130

Now, a bit over budget
Beyer DT 990 ~ £200 (these look good! sound-wise)
Audio Tech AD900 ~ £200
AKG K701 ~ £180

I'm thinking the DT990s would be best....but it's a hefty price tag
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 32
If you want "strong bass (punchy, oomph! kind of bass)",
why not try the BeyerDynamic DT770.

And have you considered the Denon AH-D2000?
They went on Ebay UK for £141,95.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 32
hi,

I've looked at the DT770s and read opinions that suggest the bass is a little overwhelming and "muddy" which is why I didn't list them. But this may be wrong.

£140?!? Yup, I've eyed up the D2000s and they look great too, but could only find them around the £250 mark - can't find them on ebay
frown.gif

EDIT: found them - from US. any thoughts on the D2000s compared to DT990s?
(I'll search the forum
wink.gif
)

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls206 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,

I've looked at the DT770s and read opinions that suggest the bass is a little overwhelming and "muddy" which is why I didn't list them. But this may be wrong.

£140?!? Yup, I've eyed up the D2000s and they look great too, but could only find them around the £250 mark - can't find them on ebay
frown.gif

I don't think the DT770 sounds muddy, whatever that might be. They are clear as a bell.
If you have a recording with tons of bass, the DT770 shows it. And that can be too much, I agree.

The Denons are not for sale at Ebay UK now, but they were at:
DENON AHD2000 (AHD 2000) AH D2000 HEADPHONES: BRAND NEW on eBay, also Corded, Headphones, Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 08-Jun-08 17:39:37 BST)
I did the first bid, and I'm still pissed off that I didn't raise it.

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Hi!

I'm looking to take the plunge into some high quality phones but need some advice as I have nowhere to try out any headsets.

It's hard for me to describe what I want as I don't know all the jargon!
but main qualities are
- High comfort
- Strong bass (punchy, oomph! kind of bass, if that makes sense
confused.gif
)
- Immersible sound (does this relate to the sound stage??)

My budget is around £150 but if given a good enough reason could stretch it a little.

I first have to admit that I have a bias towards the K601s as I love the look of them! I've read a lot about them and they seem to tick all the boxes accept the bass one. (Despite this, their graph doesn't look too bad on the headroom website)

I will be amping the phones
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for reading

EDIT:
I thought I'd put a list of phones that I've looked at.
If anyone has any experience or comparisons between them please share
smily_headphones1.gif

AKG K601 ~ £130
Beyer DT-880 "Retoure" (what does that mean?) ~ £150
Audio Tech AD700 ~ £100
A700 ~ £130

Now, a bit over budget
Beyer DT 990 ~ £200 (these look good! sound-wise)
Audio Tech AD900 ~ £200
AKG K701 ~ £180

I'm thinking the DT990s would be best....but it's a hefty price tag
frown.gif

Of the headphones you have listed, I agree the Beyerdynamic DT 990 most closely resembles your requirements.
The bass on the AKG's would be too "light", IMO.
Unless I'm mistaken, most of your options are open phones. I think the Audio Technica headphones you have listed are closed phones but I'm not sure.

For open headphones, I prefer the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 2500 over the Beyerdynamic DT 990. While both headphones afford great sound, overall I prefer the Ultrasone Pro 2500. But, if a tight, great, accurate sounding bass is what you are looking for, I suggest the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750's which is a closed phone. I am sometimes involved in the recording of Jazz music which sometimes involves the "String" (Stand-up) Bass and other times, a "slapping" funky electric bass. Since you are specifically interested in the way the bass sounds I want you to know that with both of these styles and types of bass, I have never heard a headphone reproduce the acoustical tone and overall sound of these basses more accurately than the Pro 750. (If you prefer an open headphone, the Pro 2500 is a very close second in the sense of it's sound, IMO.) The term "punchy" is very subjective. Like a lot of attempted descriptive slang words, they might mean one thing to one person and something else entirely to another. I would say this is especially true when it comes to descriptions of audio. But, I will use your word to say that if the recording engineer meant the bass to sound "punchy", the bass will sound "punchy" when listening with the Ultrasone Pro 750's. They are accurate headphones, IMO.

If you are looking for the best deal on the Ultrasone Pro 750's, you may be able to find a better price by buying last years model which was called Proline 750. The sound of the Proline 750 is the same as the Pro 750. Other than the slight name difference, there are two differences between them. The Proline 750's are blue in color and the Pro 750's are black. The second difference is the Proline 750's come with a draw string carrying cloth bag whereas the Pro 750's come with a small case.
Everything else about them is the same including the spare ear pads, the extra cable and the demo CD.
I own the Proline 750's. Of all the headphones I've heard, they are my favorite.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 32
Hey,

Thanks for the response - I had a read about the prolines and the opinions are quite mixed. I think for the price they are I'm more inclined to take the DT880s (at a similar price) over them as a safer bet. (As I can't listen to them..)

I have done a bit more reading and discovered the DT990 Pro, its been suggested that these are, sonically the same as the premium 990s...can anyone confirm this?

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 32
If you are thinking of going for the Beyerdynamics DT990's (which I would recommend!), I'd try and get the DT990 with 600 Ohm (you can buy them from the Beyer website). They're a wee bit more expensive, but since you're amping them anyway it would be a great investment. And you don't have to worry about base.
I'm not sure what you mean by premium 990's, but perhaps that's the Manufaktur line you're talking about, the customizable ones for sale only at Beyer's website? If so, there's some real difference with the Pro's, as far as I've read (never heard the Pro's myself). The Pro's (which are an older model) are supposed to be sonically inferior to the Manufaktur. But then again, they are about twice as cheap.
I'd go for a high-end Beyer, you'll be enjoying them 20 years from now!

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 32
Thanks REB, the "premium" I mentioned I think is just the normal 990s
The 250ohm models are pushing the budget even
wink.gif
, although I'll have a look at the 600ohms
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed you've got the 990s and have had the Ultrasones peter recommended, were the 990s the reason why you sold your ultrasone 2500s?

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 32
To give you a short answer: yes. The synergy between my 990's and my amp (Graham Slee Solo) is incredible and while the Proline 2500's are great cans, their synergy with my amp was significantly less than with the 990's. That's why I let hem go. Though I haven't heard it for my self, a Rudistor amp is supposed to bring out the best of the Proline 2500's. I'm happy with my Solo, so the choice was easy. The Proline's had to go.

And don't I know about phones that stretch the budget...
wink.gif
That's Head-Fi for you! You'll end up with the 600 Ohm Beyers, maybe not now but in the foreseeable future...

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 32
Skylab said this about the Pro and 2005 versions
Quote:

That is a lot of ground to cover, and if you search a little you will find a lot of information. However, I would strongly encourage you to stick to the newer 2005 versions. In the case of both the DT880 and DT990 I think the new versions are significantly better sounding, and I compared them directly.

seems contrary to the link I gave. Are there any other opinions on the Pro vs 2005 versions? I still have time to cancel the £££ order to get the cheaper pro's

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Haha, well I think I'll be happy enough for a few years without the 600ohm model
wink.gif
(I hope!)

I've made an order for the DT990s, I hope I like 'em!
Please say these are the ones I want!! haha if they weren't.. err...I'd have a problem.

cheers for the input guys!
despite my interest in the AKGs, I'm glad I went for the Beyers...my wallet isn't so glad..
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

I sincerely hope you are happy with your DT 990's. They are an excellent headphone. Not everyone agrees with that (just like the Ultrasone Prolines) but everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinion and that includes you. Only you can decide for yourself which headphones you enjoy the most. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back