I can't tell the difference between 320kbps and 128 kbps music
Dec 7, 2011 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

Hzwwwc2

Head-Fier
I tried a few times on this website. 
http://www.mp3ornot.com/index.php

No matter how hard I tried, I can't really tell them apart. 
A bit frustrated, because maybe I wasted a mount of money on the unnecessary gear.
But I still wonder, if there is possibility that the music player the website used is bad , which makes it hard to tell them apart? 
I'm using hd650 +e7+e9 combo.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 102

Quote:
I tried a few times on this website. 
http://www.mp3ornot.com/index.php

No matter how hard I tried, I can't really tell them apart. 
A bit frustrated, because maybe I wasted a mount of money on the unnecessary gear.
But I still wonder, if there is possibility that the music player the website used is bad , which makes it hard to tell them apart? 
I'm using hd650 +e7+e9 combo.

Why don't you just download the same song in both kbps and use the music player of your choice to listen for the differences?

Also, spending X amount of money on equipment and not hearing a difference between 2 file types is completely different than spending X amount of money on equipment and not feeling a positive difference between other pieces of equipment. I don't think you wasted your money at all, maybe your ears are just getting used to something different.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 102
We don't know the source on that site so if the original source material was not good, no matter what bitrate the file is in it doesn't matter.  Try rip a CD to 128kbp and then to 320kbp and compare the two files.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 102
Took me quite a few listens but I got them all right. I dont think I would have had them right with HD600 ut Audeze does the job.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 102
Make it easier, listen to a well mastered CD you have, and rip your favorite song at 128kbps.
Close your eyes and compare.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 102
Well for one your HD650s are underpowered, they need a really good amp to open up. The difference between a HD650 on a Fiio or similar device is that they sound muddy and uninvolving, on a good desktop powered amp however they are wonderful, full bodied with great extension.

Second your source isn't very good.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 102

Quote:
Well for one your HD650s are underpowered, they need a really good amp to open up. The difference between a HD650 on a Fiio or similar device is that they sound muddy and uninvolving, on a good desktop powered amp however they are wonderful, full bodied with great extension.

Second your source isn't very good.

LOL.
popcorn.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 102
Thank you guys for your opinions, I will be lying if I say I don't feel an improvement when I plug out my Sennheiser CX280 and put on HD 650, there is a big improvement, though I can't describe in words.
I'm just a bit frustrated that I can't tell 320kpbs and 128 kbps apart, which makes me think why should I even download lossless anyways.
Of course I'm not using good headphone because I can, but to appreciate the aspects of music that couldn't be discovered by bad headphones. I know that my ears are fairly untrained, and I don't know how besides listening more. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 102
I read many reviews before I buy E9, and they said it can push HD650 fairly well. I don't know since this is the only amp I have now.
And what do you mean 'the source isn't very good', you mean the E7 or the computer?

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 102

Quote:
I read many reviews before I buy E9, and they said it can push HD650 fairly well. I don't know since this is the only amp I have now.
And what do you mean 'the source isn't very good', you mean the E7 or the computer?

I think he means the site you were listening to music on in the first place.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 102
Don't listen to this nonsense about your HD-650 being under-powered. Sure, they do benefit from better amps, but there is absolutely 100% no way an E9 can't drive an HD-650 well enough to sound good.
I can say for sure that the HD-650 is not muddy sounding out of the E9. It's even clearer sounding than even from the Asgard. Most people haven't compared them and won't agree, but that's OK.
Heck, even a $99 Total Airhead can drive an HD-650 decently. Seems most here think a headphone is underpowered just because they didn't like how it sounded.

These are the guys who also claim you need tube amps for a DT-880 in order to get sound...apparently most people here with a post count over 3,000 seem to think an E9 can only drive a KSC75.
I think it'd actually have a harder time driving that properly than an HD-650. No, I'm not kidding.

One learned I've learned here is that someone will almost always claim your amp/dac isn't good enough if you don't like the headphone that's attached to it.

BTW based on my experience, the HD-650 is quite good at making some lower quality tracks sound decent. I don't find them extremely revealing, but that's sometimes a good thing.
HD-650 certainly is no detail monster and I think most people would agree. Yes, this varies with cable swaps and better gear somewhat.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 102
I'll let you in on a secret, the differences between the files on that website are tiiiiny!

With enough practice, you'll be able to get it, trust me. It doesn't have anything to do with your gear, or ears for that matter.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 102
I thought they both sounded pretty crappy.  Something with the streaming maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back