I cant tell a difference between Digital or Vinyl
Jan 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cata1yst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to do some tests between my Technics CDP and SL-1500 and I could tell no difference between the two....I had Men at Work being played on both and used the input selector between the phono in and the Aux in on my amp, and was doing 1:1 comparisons right then and there when each passage was fresh in my head....am i deaf, is my CDP that good for an oldie?, or does my amp just suck (dont think so on this part...its pretty popular amp for 80's)

Oliver

Do you have any way of recording the analog outputs to wav files, it might be interesting to see just how similar the waveforms are. I did a comparison between a wav file extracted from LP and one extracted from a digital source and the waveforms though more or less the same shape were different in terms of dynamic range and so on.

The Sansui you have is a classic and perfectly capable of rendering the differences between CD and LP, where they exist.

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

I decided to do some tests between my Technics CDP and SL-1500 and I could tell no difference between the two....I had Men at Work being played on both and used the input selector between the phono in and the Aux in on my amp, and was doing 1:1 comparisons right then and there when each passage was fresh in my head....am i deaf, is my CDP that good for an oldie?, or does my amp just suck (dont think so on this part...its pretty popular amp for 80's)

Oliver

They should at least sound different, not "the same". Try another recording. It may also be that the rest of your system doesn't resolve the differences well. Or that you just don't hear it. (unlikely)

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on some of the comments regarding current LP releases that they are pressed from the same digital master as the CD releases, are current vinyl releases worth buying?

I have both the vinyl and CD release of Norah Jones's Feels Like Home, and I have to admit that the vinyl sound did not impress me. I'll give another listen later today.

Interesting. On my system the vinyl blows away the CDs. Nora's voice has much more character, the depth of sound image is greater and the dynamic range is noticeably higher. I liked the difference so much that I replicated ALL of Nora's stuff in my collection, including her on the Willys. Most of those LPs cost $25 and up, so it's not ideal chatter.

My youngest daughter is a pure mp3-generation girl. (A 20-year old geek). When I played a couple of cuts of Nora for her she said something like, "How'd they make it holographic? Wow, the snare drum sounds so real." (She's a flautist of fairly high skill).

Some other items that I replicated after first buying them on CD are Ella Fitzgerald's Gershwin Songbook series. One of Diana Krall's (I forget the title). I've also bought a bunch of vintage jazz on 45 rpm.

My analog front-end is a Pro-ject RM10 TT with a Sumiko Blackbird cartridge, Pro-ject Tube Head preamp and Pro-ject Speed Box SE speed controller/stabilizer. That's a relatively high-end vinyl source. Digital sources are a modded Oppo 981HD universal player and a Korg MR1000 hard drive DSD recorder.

Dave

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then of course we can get into the specifics off more organic sounds from vinyl vs. CD etc, but for the most part, the mastering is better on LPs, particularly ones released today because folks, by and large, are buying vinyl because they do sound better, they will pay a premium for it and so there is extra effort put in to master them well.

Good point. I feel better about buying new vinyl albums then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. On my system the vinyl blows away the CDs. Nora's voice has much more character, the depth of sound image is greater and the dynamic range is noticeably higher. I liked the difference so much that I replicated ALL of Nora's stuff in my collection, including her on the Willys. Most of those LPs cost $25 and up, so it's not ideal chatter.

Do you have the Come Away With Me on vinyl? On the CD, Norah's voice gets crackly (clipping?) on higher pitch notes. Does the vinyl not exhibit this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My analog front-end is a Pro-ject RM10 TT with a Sumiko Blackbird cartridge, Pro-ject Tube Head preamp and Pro-ject Speed Box SE speed controller/stabilizer. That's a relatively high-end vinyl source. Digital sources are a modded Oppo 981HD universal player and a Korg MR1000 hard drive DSD recorder.

Holographic -- that's a nice description of what immediately jumps at me when I listen to songs on vinyl. I can only imagine how your setup must sound in comparison to my modest (OK, cheap
biggrin.gif
) vinyl rig. I've started looking for a better turntable.

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #20 of 23
I definately hear that the highs dont have that bite to it....but thats about it...i dont hear any better highs or lower higher impact bass...nor do i hear the famous organic, wide, deep soundstage, and this is testing with multipule vinyl's Queen, Bad Co, Eagles, Foreigner, etc.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #21 of 23
Both formats can sound great. These days, the vinyl version of a recording often sounds better than the CD version, but that isn't because vinyl is inherently better, its because the mastering for the CD is awful (usually compressed).

Many people have erroneously jumped to the conclusion that vinyl is always better because of this recent trend in the recording industry, unfortunately. If anything, digital sounds better today than ever (and I thought it sounded pretty good compared to vinyl even in the 1980s, with my young pre-headphone ears).

I, for one, can't stand the surface noise from vinyl (and I can often hear it even on vinyl that is being played for the first time), not to mention the pain of just dealing with turntables and vinyl records, so I don't use it. For CDs that are poorly mastered, I try to find a digital version of the vinyl recording (hopefully with as little surface noise as possible).

Concerning your vinyl/CD comparison, I'm guessing both were created from the same master and therefore sound about the same.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #22 of 23
What I can't stand is all of the rock and blues CDs out there with clipped levels, and it isn't just a few. It is a great many of them. Rather than go on a turd hunt trying to find which release of a given title has correct levels, it is easier and far better for me to simply buy it on vinyl. I do this now for virtually any rock and blues music that was originally recorded and released prior to 1990, and I find it far more sonically satisfying. Surface noise is a non issue on records that grade to VG+ or better and are played on a decent analog setup.

If it is a high profile title then I also record it to 24bit/96KHz digital audio and author it to DVD-A using my M-Audio Firewire 410 interface and Adobe Audition 3.0.

--Jerome

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Oliver

You may want to switch to another cartridge.If your using the original that came with it when it was new it could be holding back the sonic capabilities that are in your vinyl. LL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back