I cant stop listening!
Oct 26, 2005 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I dont know whats wrong with me.
I cant stop listening to "The Mars Volta".
It has to be the most addictive and interesting music ive heard in a very, very long time-and I know music.
Its Genius.
I urge you all to go out and buy theyre first album ASAP: "De-Loused in the Comatorium".
I literally cannot turn it off; its become a problem.
Anyone having similar symptoms?

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 14
Similar thing happened to me when I first heard that album. It really kicks ass!

I kind of got tired of hearing it after a while, however, because I must have gone through the CD a good 100-150 times!
eek.gif

Inerstatic ESP is my favorite track
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 14
have you heard "Frances the Mute"?
im waiting till I get sick of this one first...

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 14
frances the mute isn't really as good as the first. not even close. still a good listen though, more salsa. i listened to deloused in the comatorium for 7 hours straight when i got it. it's just one of those albums, you know? definately would stay in my cd changer...if i had one... can't leave out the tremulant ep!

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
frances the mute isn't really as good as the first. not even close. still a good listen though, more salsa. i listened to deloused in the comatorium for 7 hours straight when i got it. it's just one of those albums, you know? definately would stay in my cd changer...if i had one... can't leave out the tremulant ep!

Are you nuts?

Frances the Mute is incredible! As a musician, albums like that simply boggle my mind. How they are able to compose such riffs and complex progressions is BEYOND me. While not a masterpiece (I'm not a fan of those three minute computer effects at the end of songs myself) the album MUSICALLY is an A+. It could very well be among the top fifty space/progressive albums to ever be made!

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 14
I also go through stages like this with De-Loused. The only song that really stands out from Fraces The Mute is L'Via L'Viaquez.

This is good though, threads like this should knock some sense into those guys who swap IC's and power cords more than songs! It's all about the music, isn't that why we're into this hobby?

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 14
The music sounds pretty awesome but they need a new singer... Not to bad mouth something that y'all like but it just seems like there are so many "high voiced" male vocalists on the scene today, it's just not my thing. The band sounds very talented though.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 14
my wife no longer lets me listen to The Mars Volta when she's in the room. that's the only band she does that for. it's THAT AWESOME.
icon10.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 14
Definitely check out Frances the Mute, although do it at your leisure so as not to amp up your expectations too much.

That being said, however, I actually think that it is their best work. There are maybe as many as fifteen minutes that could be cut from the album, as it is a little bit too long, but the good parts are so good. And it can be had for as little as six dollars at Best Buy when they have sales.

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 14
What do you guys think about "At the drive-in" and "Sparta"? (the bands they were previously in)
Do they compare at all to Mars?
Any specific albums?

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

What do you guys think about "At the drive-in" and "Sparta"? (the bands they were previously in)
Do they compare at all to Mars?
Any specific albums?

At the Drive-In were a pretty good band while they were around. Personally, I like "Relationship of Command," but almost all of their stuff was good (including several splits they put out).

With the Mars Volta, I would HIGHLY recommend picking up the Widow single purely for the Frances the Mute Decoder (ironically, the Widow is in my bottom five songs from them). I can undoubtebly say that this is my favourite Volta song, and just brings out so many emotions every time I listen to it.

I'll also agree that they're a highly addictive band. DITC is just one of those albums you can listen to well over a hundred times before growing tired of it, and then you're back to that repeated listening again within a few weeks. FTM is nothing short of amazing, but it's nice to have the filler stuff cut out for repeated listening sessions (i.e. the four minutes plus at the beginning of Miranda).

All in all, just a simply incredible band...sad to see that they're moving away from small gigs and opening for SOAD and the like at big venues, but what can you do about that? They also have limited edition glow in the dark vinyl out, which I don't think I'll ever let go of (mmmmm...yummy
tongue.gif
).

More than anything, just enjoy the music. Nothing can beat that.

Oct 27, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I also go through stages like this with De-Loused. The only song that really stands out from Fraces The Mute is L'Via L'Viaquez.

Yep, I love that song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back