I cant stand soundstage in headphones, anyone else?
Jan 29, 2006 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

bizkid

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, the last weeks i tried serveral higher end headphones ie. the DT-880, a Sennheiser 650, and a Sony SA5000, all through a Benchmark DAC1. I come from a midrange (2000$) but still nice speaker setup. For me its difficult to enjoy any of the headphones mentioned. The problem is whenever a headphone tries to create a soundstage with instrument seperation, for some reason it just makes it impossible for me to enjoy the music. The too small seperation (compared to speakers) makes it hard to follow and concentrate on the music itself, everything sounds just wrong in some way
confused.gif
On the other side however i have no problem at all with headphones which give a "flat" soundstage ie my Sennheiser PX100 are great for listening. So i guess im just not a headphone guy?
confused.gif
Besides that, i loved the other qualities of the mentioned headphones, so still i want to step up from my PX100. I have the Alessandro MS1 in mind. Any other suggestions for an open headphone with a relatively flat soundstage?

ps. I tried crossfeed filters, they helped, but not enough to make it really enjoyable.
pps. closed headphones, even with a good soundstage (ie a900), make it even worse for me.

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
So i guess im just not a headphone guy?
confused.gif

Posssibly. Don't give up yet.
Any half-decent headphone rig (with a good source) should make a good-enough stab at head/soundtage to engage you enough to forget the "headphone" prejudice.
But maybe you don't like to be "shut in"?
I say the "Headphones don't have a soundstage" thing is a myth.
[Edit - I'm a Grado Guy!]

Jan 29, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I sure wouldn't mind it if you heard my CD3000 coming out of a PPX3-Slam! I think it will blow your mind, and give you second thought about a big soundstage!
3000smile.gif

I will take that challeng and raise you a pair of AKG K1000s.

AKG K1000s are guaranteed to impress you as far as soundstage is concerned. But I am not really sure they can be considered headphones, they are more like headspeakers.
k1000smile.gif

If after you try a pair of K1000s, and they don't scratch your soundstage itch, then you are probably right - you just aren't a headphone guy. Then it will probably be time to move on.

Good luck!

Jan 29, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 24
I second (third? fourth?) the Grado nomination. When I'm done over-analyzing a recording because of the Sennheiser accuracy and I want to kick back and enjoy the music, my RS-1's are so great....

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 24
I ditto the Grado recommendation. My 125's sound great, and have a really good soundstage. It all depends on the recording.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 24
For a possible great soundstage using any good pair of cans, wait for the SVS technology, do a search for "SVS" - you should find my post on new headphone surround sound technology, it might help you out in the 2-channel department. Unfortunately it will take some time before we can buy it in the stores.

Jan 30, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 24
I think I share the same opinion after listening for a while to my HD580 I just received... to the point that sometimes I felt that the sound image was unbalanced... I think maybe I need a crossfeed?

Jan 30, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 24
It looks like you should try:

1. AKG K1000s
2. A Grado

Jan 30, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 24
Indeed the HD-650's and SA5000 are both in the middle range of cans. With the right amp and source they can be very good. I know plenty of people who can't tolerate the lack of precision shown by the soundstage of these headphones. Of course there's a whole *other* level of headphones starting with the K1000 as mentioned, which is perhaps the best soundstaging "headphone" but gives up some of the other things we love. I had an HE-60 this weekend and the soundstaging is a huge improvement on dynamic headphones, and of course the big brother Orpheus is all about the soundstage. Or you can go for the Grados and give up the soundstage (although Grados will surprise you with some cool soundstaging effects, but usually only with a recording that really pushes the effect through).

This discussion comes up all the time from people who have speakers and don't get the headphone thing. The truth is that a lot of us are into headphones for our own reasons. I personally just love the detail and natural bass without funky crossovers or room interactions. You'll find a lot of people on here who use headphones because they have spouses, families, or just don't want to bother the family in the apartment next door.

Jan 30, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 24
No offense to the opinions of the other posters, but I don't think you should purchase Grados at all. It seems to me that you're looking for soundstage, but that the headphones you've currently used just don't do it for you. The Grados will probably further serve to disappoint unless you want to give up on soundstage altogether. My advice is to just get KSC-75s for portable use and be a speaker guy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 24
I think he is looking for non-artificial soundstage, which from what I heard (note: not experienced) could be found in Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back