I can't seem to find a closed headphone that I like. Need help!
Oct 20, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #16 of 24
Have you tried the B&W P7's? I think they're sublime.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #17 of 24
Where can you buy the Yamaha HPH-MT220? Looks like they are discontinued? Amazon has them but it looks like the prices are inflated. There are some on ebay but I'm not sure if they are real or not. Saw the post about ordering amazon UK. I didn't even realize I could do that in the US. Looks like they would take quite a while to get here though. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #18 of 24
  Where can you buy the Yamaha HPH-MT220? Looks like they are discontinued? Amazon has them but it looks like the prices are inflated. There are some on ebay but I'm not sure if they are real or not. Saw the post about ordering amazon UK. I didn't even realize I could do that in the US. Looks like they would take quite a while to get here though. 

As far as I know, the cheapest place to get it new is from Amazon UK. Some sellers there do ship to the US. You should be able to pay extra for expedited shipping.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #20 of 24
If you like fat, thick sound, then maybe take a look at Audeze EL8 closed backs? You can audition them at Apple Stores.  They might be above the price range of the ones you've mentioned in your original post, but I think you'd probably like the sound.

<shameless plug> I have a brand new in box pair of them on sale right now in the marketplace </shameless plug>

Nov 3, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #21 of 24
I am having a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B Closed-Back Headphone. I love listening to music through it. The creepy background noise won't spoil my listening experience. 

It fits into my ear comfortably even it fits into my friend's ear too. It is very comfy and lightweight. 

Although you can take a look at this article if you want to know more about Best Closed Back Headphones ​ for yourself.
Hope, you will find something better.

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #22 of 24
  My favorite closed headphones are the Yamaha HPH-MT220 and Focal Spirit Professional. The MT220 has much better sound and comfort in my experience. Both have strong bass, but the MT220 has more impact, better clarity, etc. I actually like it more than many open headphones, including the HD 650.

I don't know what was going on when you heard the M50x. It has overwhelming bass and rolled-off treble. Perhaps it was just the song(s) you heard.

Read the first line:

I find closed circumaural headphones to be much more uncomfortable than IEMs, as the closed headphones make my ears uncomfortably hot. The clamping force is also very annoying. As for IEM comfort, it varies considerably. I find ergonomically shaped IEMs with the nozzle coming out from the edge to be much more comfortable than IEMs with the nozzle in the center.

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #23 of 24
  I find closed circumaural headphones to be much more uncomfortable than IEMs, as the closed headphones make my ears uncomfortably hot. The claming force is also very annoying. As for IEM comfort, it varies considerably. I find ergonomically shaped IEMs with the nozzle coming out from the edge to be much more comfortable than IEMs with the nozzle in the center.

I guess that type of thing is pretty subjective. I never had a problem with heat or sweating with any headphone. Clamping force can be an issue, but usually not for me, as I don't have a large head. In the case of the MT220, it does have shallow pads that benefit from stuffing material (like gauze) under them or just swapping the pads.

As for the OP's needs, the first line says "I really am not a fan of anything in ear".

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #24 of 24
Absolutely no IEM's. Has to be closed back and over ear. I have tried the IEM thing in the past and hate things in my ears. I have also made my ears ring with IEM's from accidentally listening to them too loud. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back