I can't hear a difference between mp3 and Wav.
Mar 20, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #16 of 18
As was pointed out, there are many factors influencing the eventual sonic outcome of different mp3 bitrates. Especially when playing from your soundcard. Compare the performance of Windows Media Player and WinAmp... or VLC, or Foobar. They definitely don't sound completely alike. The fact that you can't hear a difference between high-bitrate mp3 files and cd audio can also be testimony to the effectiveness of the format.

Perhaps you can do some more testing, selecting very different types of music, in order to find out whether there really isn't any difference. To my ears, its huge between for instance 160 and 320.

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good post. The equipment isn't very resolving, but what if it was? If so - big deal. I can't jump like Michael Jordan; doesn't mean I don't like to play basketball.

Enjoy the tunes and get the best sq for your ears. That's all that matters.

exactly - its all about personal enjoyment of music. if your earphones sound good to you, then that's all that matters. the ability to discern subtle differences in sound quality will come in time, maybe after trying out different styles of music or using different equipment. for me, it was moving out of NYC and into Ithaca, NY where i went to college. the noises and smells of the city killed all my senses, except maybe my street sense...

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Using E500s, either straight from Audigy 2 on my PC or straight from my 2g Nano, but with no EQ, using Shure black rubber sleeves.

Should I even bother with an amp and expensive IC? Will I notice anything?

Feel like my E500s were a waste now.
frown.gif

I'd consider yourself lucky. Put more mvsik on your player(s) and enjoy it all just as much.
etysmile.gif

If you're satisfied just listen! If you're satisfied and listen to something better, you may become unstatisfied (very sad) and begin to slide down the slippery head-fi slope (very fun, but can be very expensive)!
If you're not satisfied, then you've got some research and investments in your future
wink.gif

Beware of "audiophilia" though. I enjoyed listening to my old CASSETTE walkman and HSC Marantz system years ago. Then I decided that I'd upgrade. Ick! As I became more focused on sound quality vs musical quality, I became quite disappointed. Thus began my quest to recapture audio enjoyment. Eventually I bought my first tube amp, a Cary SLA70Sig) and things finally started to look up... (more upgrades, years pass)...
Then I got my SP MPX3 and it is so incredibly satisfying that I have no NEED to improve my current sound. But I still like to tube roll. But now I'm flitting between different levels of great sound. Or if a new kind of tube sucks, then I just pull it and forget it.

Mvsik first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back