i can't decide!
Jun 21, 2006 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

blinx

500+ Head-Fier
so im a noobie who is going to step into the audiophile relm and i've been reading threads all day and i still cant decide what i want.

so im stuck between some headphones, HD 555's, HD 580's and HD 485's. i've been reading about grado and have heard some good things about them, but i dont plan on buying an amp for these. i usually listen to music on my mp3 player (creative zen touch), through my kenwood receiver or on the computer.

i know they are all good headphones, but the style of the 555's caught my eye, but i hear they are sub-par on music performance according the cnet review. my budget is max 175, but i would like to stay around 150.

thanks for all the help

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 21
Wlcome to you, farewell to your cash!!

Personally I prefer the Grado to the Senns sound-wise and the Grados are more efficient than the better of the Senns you listed (580) so better suited to low output devices. However, Grados do take some getting used to both for comfort and sound signature as they do tend to shout a little. The Senns, as you have no doubt read, are a smoother, more laid back sound and the Grados are more exciting and in your face about things. The 580s are undoubtedly good fones and great value for the price they go for these days but don't suit everyone obviously, same with Grados. They are pretty much at opposite ends of the sound spectrum so unless you get to audition them you are shooting in the dark unless you can get them with a good return policy.

You didn'y mention what kind of sound you like (in general terms) or what music you prefer. This would help narrowing down your choices. Also, cnet knows about as much in the way of good sound as my deaf granny.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 21
well musically, lately i've been into rock to hardcore (my guilty pleasure), but i listen to music anywhere from proggressive rock, trip hop (gotta love it), indie. you know that sort of music, also been listening to dub and dubstep lately.

so basically, most of my music is rock based, but my tastes change from time to time, so i want something thats flexible. so grado does sound good now.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 21
Yup, the Grado is definitely the weapon of choice for your musical choices. Though the Grados in you price range aren't the best models so If you do decide on a Grado, go used as it's much better value. You should check out the 'for sale' section to see what's available.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx
alright thanks, but what grado's should i look at?

The SR-225 is THE rock headphone supposedly, I'd look into getting that, you might be able to find it fairly cheap used.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 21
gah, im just getting frusterated with all these different models and what does what good and everything.

so question, how are the grado's when not running through an amp? i need some nice headphones that sound good with and without an amp

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 21
i wish i had a place i could test them, haha. oh man

and where should i go about buying these? i usually get my tech stuff from newegg, but they dont even know what grado is.

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 21
http://www.headphone.com/
get grado's there...
Also you might consider audio-technica A500/A700/A900, they are almost the opposite of grado's on the soundstage front. You can get AT @ http://www.audiocubes.com/
Both grado and AT don't need amps. The G's are open and AT are closed though. The senn's HD595 or HD580 are great but probably need an amp more then the G's and AT's, especially the 580. Senn w/ out an amp maybe HD485 might be a good option also.

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #13 of 21
They come up for sale in these forums now and again, also ebay may be worth looking into. Amazon sells them new for around $200. You might need to be a little patient unless you want to head down to the SR-125 though I found them a bit grainy.

Audiogon is also a good place to look and have some now.

http://www.audiogon.com/

enter Grado in the search field and scroll down to the headphone section.

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #14 of 21
so you think ill be better off with a SR 80 then the HD 555's?

im worried about comfort, but i usually dont listen to music for over 4 hours at a time.. but i also sleep to music, are the grado's ok when lying down?

haha after researching for 2 days in a row, im still confused, i know all of the phones will sound amazing, i just want to make the right purchase, and im leaning to grado right now, but we'll see

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #15 of 21
Grados are not a comfort can, and nor would I try to sleep with them on. They just don't stay in place when rolling over. Closed cupped cans are better for that. Grados tend to sit sort of on the ear and sort of around the ear, they are an odd shape and fit. Many people find Grados really uncomfortable, I did too until I got mine adjusted properly. Not too bad now but definitely not the headphone equivalent of a nice pair of thighs caressing your ears
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back