I Cant Choose a Camera!!!
Dec 1, 2006 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Scotty757

500+ Head-Fier
So, after doing MUCH reading at photog websites, I'm still at a loss as to which camera to choose. I think I'm set on Canon (though I could probably be dissuaded), and I think I've narrowed it down to the 20D and the XTi. Most of the advice I've gotten has been from pros, and frankly, they know too much to help me! This would be my first dSLR, but I would want it to be one to last me a long time. Interests include nature and sports.

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 23
You probably chose the wrong place to come for advice because the general idea here is spend more than you have, and then a little more.
wink.gif

If it's your first one, I'd say go for the XTi because being your first dSLR you'll probably wanna not spend as much this time around, so you can get used to what you're working with, and then upgrade once you have a really good feel for dSLR's and you'll know exactly what you want.

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably chose the wrong place to come for advice because the general idea here is spend more than you have, and then a little more.
wink.gif

If it's your first one, I'd say go for the XTi because being your first dSLR you'll probably wanna not spend as much this time around, so you can get used to what you're working with, and then upgrade once you have a really good feel for dSLR's and you'll know exactly what you want.

Sound theory...but picking up a new XTi and a used 20D are effectually the same price...thus further adding to my dilemma.

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 23
If there's no price difference, get the 20D. No two ways about it.

Out of curiosity, what made you settle on Canon? If it was just talking to Pros and having them name models, I'd at least consider Nikon. If you picked it because you've already held the cameras and decided that Canon feels better (or because you're friends with someone who uses Canon and want to share their lenses), fantastic - go right ahead. But if you're only considering those two models because someone gave you some rant about how Canon is the end-all-be-all, I'd be wary. Both Canon and Nikon make top-of-the-line, fantastic stuff, and both systems are great. The chief difference is the grip. If I was starting fresh with no old glass to build off of, I'd hold an Xti/20D and a D50/D80 and buy the one that feels the best in your hands, because they're all rock solid.

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound theory...but picking up a new XTi and a used 20D are effectually the same price...thus further adding to my dilemma.

20D. it's a bit bigger and feels more solid. feel accounts for a lot of one's satisfaction in a camera, so i'd get the 20D...not to mention that it does more. the other option would be to get a used xti body and spend more on a good lens...

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there's no price difference, get the 20D. No two ways about it.

Out of curiosity, what made you settle on Canon? If it was just talking to Pros and having them name models, I'd at least consider Nikon. If you picked it because you've already held the cameras and decided that Canon feels better (or because you're friends with someone who uses Canon and want to share their lenses), fantastic - go right ahead. But if you're only considering those two models because someone gave you some rant about how Canon is the end-all-be-all, I'd be wary. Both Canon and Nikon make top-of-the-line, fantastic stuff, and both systems are great. The chief difference is the grip. If I was starting fresh with no old glass to build off of, I'd hold an Xti/20D and a D50/D80 and buy the one that feels the best in your hands, because they're all rock solid.

You hit the nail on the head. My future brother-in-law (sister got engaged last weekend!) has a collection of about 10 Canon primes that I could make use of.

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well I guess it comes down to the question of whether you feel comfortable buying new versus buying used. In some cases I don't mind buying used (low end headphones, CD's, etc..) but on a high dollar camera I'd rather buy new or refurbished so you at least have some sort of warranty in case something goes wrong (and it always happens...).. But as far as buying new/used that would be something entirely up to you so YMMV.

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 23
Because the 30D came out, the 20D body is fairly cheap now. My friend got the 20D + the 17-40 f/4 for about the same price as my D80 + 18-135. It's very solid. The body and the lens are made in Japan and not in Thailand, like my Nikon. 5fps is more than enough for any beginner. If you want to save money you can buy a cheaper lens first.

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 23
All of the Rebel bodies are almost unusable to me. I'd rather go for a 10D than a 400D!

Man the xxxD formfactor sucks.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 23
Price of the 30D are aggressive, try calling some of the dealers of canon, I remember when teh 30D came out it was retail $1,500kit everywhere, in one place they were letting it go for $1,250kit $1,150 no lens. I bet if you look around you can get a 30D at a similar price than a 20D unless you go used. Honestly 20/30D is no question, but replace the xti from the list, the question should be if your open to other brands Canon 20/30D or Nikon D80, the D80 is a lot of camera for the money, better spot metering, good speed, newer.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 23
Keep in mind that regular 35mm lenses, even primes, will not give you the same results as a 35mm if used on a DSLR. The image sensor is a different size. I am very happy with my Oly Evolt E300 even tho a lot of ppl dont like the visual change from a 'standard' SLR look in the camera body, but it is also very solid feeling and takes fantastic shots. I love my Zuiko 50mm/f2.0 macro lens that I picked up for $500
blink.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 23
My first DSLR was/is a 20D. My only regret is that I didn't wait for the 30D.

I went from a Nikon Coolpix 8800 to the 20D. I had owned a small point and shoot Canon pocket size digital and I preferred the way Canon controls are laid out. That is why I went with Canon.

You have done research so I don't need to tell you about the 1.6 conversion formula for lenses with the 20D's sensor size. I have one "digital" lens, and two regular lenses for my camera. They all work equally well.

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 23
Those Rebels are incredibly uncomfortable. I can't imagine holding one for an extended period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back