I Cannot Decide on a Gaming Headset / Headphone / Mic - Please Help!
Apr 22, 2014 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aDasein

New Head-Fier
Background:

I recently started wanting to stream on Twitch when I moved and got some great internet speed that could finally support it.

I first started using a crappy Xbox Turtlebeach headset with 3 adapters for a headset / mic. Then, a few weeks ago I bought the Razer Kraken for an instant replacement because the Turtlebeach's were so bad. However, I quickly returned the Kraken after a few days later because of how much pain they caused around the ears and on the top of my head.

Now, I am currently using the SteelSeries V2 that I got just last week and it is OK. Not fantastic, but OK. I don't know if I have a big head, but my head hits the metal bars on top of the SteelSeries v2 pretty easy. They are definitely comfortable, and people say they can hear me in the mic great. But I'm still weary.

Main Question:

So I want to know what you would get for a mic / headset / headphone combo as I still don't completely love my setup. I am more focused on mic quality than audio headset quality, but I would like the best of both worlds. My budget is just around $100 to support this at the moment.

Although I have seen some amazing headsets / headphones recommended with a 250 dollar+ price tag, I just can't do that at the moment, and want something I can stream with comfortably now.

The amount of options out there makes it very hard for me to decide. If you could please give me some options and reasoning for each, you don't know how much I would appreciate it.

Thank you so much in advance for any help,

aDasein

Apr 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 5
This is a little past my budget, but does the microphone produce good results for streaming? I know the mic is the cheap part of the two (headphones + mic), but I was recommended it by several friends.

Headphone: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=lh_ni_t_mi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13BNE3P7C8THK

Mic: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=lh_ni_t_mi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1TSN35NIS24VZ

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 5
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits has reviews of a few mics and headphones in your range. If you want to stay closer to $100, you could get cheaper can like the HP-800's and then get a V-Moda Mic, which I can personally recommend. Either way, I don't think you'll have an issue with mic quality. The Zalman is popular for a reason.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the response, jodgey4. I'll definitely look into the HP-800s and the V-Moda Mic as well. I looked through that thread as well, and I'm really bad with so many options, as they all look great haha.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 5
And on that note, I should've properly welcomed you by sharing the unofficial motto:: "Welcome to Head-FI, sorry about your wallet"
tongue.gif
! If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back