I can hear the heart beating as one
Apr 15, 2006 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
What a beautiful album. Nearly faultless. Yo La Tengo has gotten pretty quiet on their later albums, but Electr-o-pura and I Can Hear .. both have some pretty noisy stuff. Mostly controlled though, and Ira thankfully never evolved into somebody who feels the need to go off in every song. Love it when he does though. Makes it all the more special, but he knows that he's not Hendrix, or Lou Reed, or even Thurston Moore. Sure, like their other later albums it's too long, but I still give it a "A". Their biggest asset in my mind is that underlying vulnerability, and the palpable imagery in songs like "Damage" that is playing right now, where you're immediately transported to nighttime in Lower Manhattan, and you're walking in his shoes, and you feel his broken heart like it's your own, and you know the damage is done, and you know it's not gonna get better anytime soon ... and it all comes just from a couple threads of beautiful droning feedback that snakes through the song, the ebb and the flow, along with a few simple lyrics ...

Not much Friday night, pinball, Lower East Side
Walked out of the past and into the bar
I used to think about you all the time
I would think about you all the time
Now it just feels weird, there you are
The damage is done

Feeling like a kid again, my eyes are glued to the floor
I hope I mumbled goodbye as you walked out the door
The damage is done

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 7
totally man, I love that album...esp. late at night and on headphones!!, you know that the way he writes is by voice, he will sing all the parts for the instruments and then make people do them.

Apr 16, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 7
This is the only yo la tengo album I've heard. I love it tremendously. I've been a little wary of buying another album of thiers because there discography is so large I don't know where to start. Could any of you yo la tengo fans give me some of your other favorite albums? Sorry to jack your thread!

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
This is the only yo la tengo album I've heard. I love it tremendously. I've been a little wary of buying another album of thiers because there discography is so large I don't know where to start. Could any of you yo la tengo fans give me some of your other favorite albums? Sorry to jack your thread!

Yeah, they do have a ton of albums, and many of them are very good. I'd definitely give Electr-o-pura a shot as your next one. Those two are my favorites. http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ra#post1174724

They also put out what looks to be an outstanding 2-CD collection last year with the Beatles look-a-like cover. Might be a good choice if you can find it cheap to decide which way to go next. I think initial copies had a third bonus disk of rarities and live stuff. Nice review at http://www.shakingthrough.net/music/...love_2005.html

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 7
I Can Hear The Heart... is my favourite YLT album as well. It has all of their different styles all on one album, and is probably the only one of their records you could say that about.

For a next album to get, I'd have to go with either Electro-Pura, or Painful. You couldn't go wrong with ...And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out either, although this one is very very mellow for the most part.

Apr 16, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 7
Love Heart as well... probably their best album, but I can't listen to And Then Nothing Turned... enough. The album says volumes about love and relationship... it's one of the most emotionally mature albums that I've heard (alongside The Tindersticks). The Crying of Lot G. One word: Stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back