I can hear my mouse scrolling...
Dec 3, 2021 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DeweyCH

Member of the Trade: Lithium Headphones
This is very strange to me, I've really just realized this afternoon that I'm not hearing random buzzing from a wonky tube in my Crack, but rather I'm hearing a slight buzz that's happening any time I'm scrolling a page with my mouse. It also happens a bit when I type, so my hypothesis is that I'm getting feedback from my computer screen moving/chainging colors/etc.

My chain is PC --> SMSL SU-8 (via USB) --> Schiit Lokius --> JDS OL Switcher --> Crack.

I don't notice this on my SS amp (THX 887) with the same rest of the chain feeding it.

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Sounds like a ground loop. Smsl su8 is ok not sure the rest. I would remove anything without three pronged power plugs and see if you still have the issue. If the DAC has a signal-only mode try that first. Guessing you don't have the option for spdif because that should clear it up in a pinch but might not carry the resolution of your material.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 9
Hmm... have you tried if adjusting mouse sampling rate helps?
I've since realized that it's not the mouse itself, but rather visual movement on my monitor. A screen full of animated GIFs is like listening to a symphony of static. Going to try and see if it's this monitor... it's always been a touch wonky, with the power LED kind of flickering on and off constantly.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 9
Sounds like a ground loop. Smsl su8 is ok not sure the rest. I would remove anything without three pronged power plugs and see if you still have the issue. If the DAC has a signal-only mode try that first. Guessing you don't have the option for spdif because that should clear it up in a pinch but might not carry the resolution of your material.
I'll see about that, thanks. I'm going to test with a Chromecast Audio plugged into the optical input (with the PC still plugged in via USB). Only issue with that is that I use the setup for work as well, and I don't think Chromecast Audio can be set up as the default output device in Windows.

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 9
I've since realized that it's not the mouse itself, but rather visual movement on my monitor. A screen full of animated GIFs is like listening to a symphony of static. Going to try and see if it's this monitor... it's always been a touch wonky, with the power LED kind of flickering on and off constantly.

There's this graphics hardware acceleration option ...

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 9
Turns out the issue was my DAC. Started giving me more of the apparently well-known bug where anytime it changed anything (most noticeable when Tidal took exclusive mode control) it would give me a big pop. Switched it for my little Liquid Spark and everything seems to be kosher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back