I broke my Ipod... in an interesting way.
Apr 11, 2006 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

BavariaBarbarian

100+ Head-Fier
As described in this thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161993
my Ipod developed massive DC-offset on the lineout.
So I started poking around inside the Ipod.
At first I intended to replace the obviously broken output caps, but then, some four weeks ago, I rather bought another Ipod mainboard on ebay to replace the whole thing.

With a new working mainboard on hand and the old one to spare I thought to myself: "Why not have some fun?"
icon10.gif

- I suppose you're thinking along the same lines, so here it goes:

Lacking the datasheet dor the WM8975 I studied the publically available datasheets of the WM8971 and WM8973.

Playing a test tone and looking for the characteristic DC-offsets of my faulty DAC, I found that all three seem to use the same pins for the lineout:
v66f7m.jpg

Larger picture here: http://i1.tinypic.com/v66989.jpg
Those pins are a mere 0.5mm apart and I've got nowhere near the soldering skills to attach anything to them.
But conveniently, after only a very short while the signal passes through what I strongly suspect to be the output caps, and those pads are a diferent matter:

v66fig.jpg

Larger picture here:
http://i1.tinypic.com/v669o9.jpg

I simply tacked two small wires (AWG 26 OFC) to the capacitor"leads" and fed the signal into a DIY switchbox along with the original linout (using the lineout GND for both signals).

So now for the interesting part: How does it sound?
- Nice. Very nice.
wink.gif

I don't have trained ears or very fancy gear, I used my Pimeta, modded Sennheiser HD25-1 and ALAC / lame -ape files for this test.
The difference in soundquality between the two signals was very subtle to my ears. Subtle, but noticeable and very likeable.
wink.gif

When I first switched from the lineout I thought "Wow, this is better!".
Then I asked myself "Why?" and started listening critically for differences until I was sure that, in fact, there were none and I had only imagined it.
But after tidying up and relaxing a bit I picked up the phones again - and there it was again: "This sounds better!" And this time I was able to picture the difference and could pick it out reliably when switching back and forth:

The soundstage was a bit broader and deeper, and there was slightly more bass. But what really impressed me, was an increased sense of clarity, especially in the highs: It was as if everything stood out against a deep black background where on the regular lineout it was only a dark grey... if that makes any sense at all.
wink.gif

Now, for all that, I'm not planning to make this mod more permanent.
Why? Two reasons:

1) I don't want to lose the headphone out, because I don't always want to lug around an amp when listening on the go.
While there IS some free space inside the Ipod case, there is barely enough to install another output jack. Let alone something fancy or that AND output caps of any size.

2) Rather more importantly: The modded logicboard is now toast.
basshead.gif

The mod worked alright for several days, then I wanted to take the Ipod along for the weekend and simply removed the wires.
Several days later I wanted to experiment some more and soldered the wires back on. After listening for about half an hour the left channel cut out. I suspected a cold or broken soldering joint, but no. Both on the regularlineout, and directly at the dac-pins, there is no signal.

I don't know whether I shorted something, overheated the dac or whatever.
Perhaps omitting the output capacitors (The Pimeta has input caps for dc protection) has damaged the dac or maybe it was due to fail anyway. After all there was the issue of tremendous DC-offset, so there was some damage to begin with.
Still, I'm not planning to poke the soldering iron at the second mainboard.

But for these reasons, it might be simple enough to remove the output caps of the hp-out (to get rid of the regular hp-signal), install output caps (would have to be small - about 4*10 mm) and tack some wires to the now free l/r pins of the hp-jack, leaving GND alone.

Now mind you: I'm not calling this the iMod.
I've no way to know, how the Redwine Audio iMod works.
And I'm not saying, that I can perform this mod successfully, so don't ask me to...
wink.gif

But all this got me thinking about the iMod:
Before I was skeptic if the iMod was just snakeoil.
I now think it very plausible that it makes a difference. After all it's done by someone who knows what he's doing. - So it's bound to sound at least as good as my inexperienced tinkering, likely much better.
And I think the difference will be noticeable with less-than-top-level gear and even on compressed materials.
- Too bad that I'm only a poor student, no way I'm spending 200$ on this.
wink.gif

Even the 45$ for another Ipod mainboard off ebay is serious money for me to spend on experiments. But perhaps someone else is daring/crazy enough and can use what I found out.

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 27
It seems to me (I have not checks any schematics) that using the dock to get a line out, requires that the signal be routed throughout the board, and probably passing through a few other components. By taking a line out directly from teh DAC, it is in my eyes, that you will get a cleaner signal.

I'm interested to know why your board died, however.

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 27
If I had more guts I'd do this sort of mod to my 5G. I just keep thinking of the knot in my stomach if something went wrong.
eek.gif

Nice job, though. Thanks for the information.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SubRosa
If I had more guts I'd do this sort of mod to my 5G. I just keep thinking of the knot in my stomach if something went wrong.
eek.gif

Nice job, though. Thanks for the information.

The 5G uses a different DAC than the nano and 4G's. Something to consider if you go for it...

Apr 11, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
I'm interested to know why your board died, however.

So am I! But your guess is as good as mine...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach_y
The 5G uses a different DAC than the nano and 4G's. Something to consider if you go for it...

And even Vinnie R. said somewhere that it's not worth the effort on the 5G, because it's so hard to work with.

... So it's got to be rather much harder to do.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by BavariaBarbarian
And even Vinnie R. said somewhere that it's not worth the effort on the 5G, because it's so hard to work with.

... So it's got to be rather much harder to do.
wink.gif

I didn't quote mach_y but...

I'm not trying to sound inflammatory but I know it uses a different DAC/Mainboard, that's why I said "this sort of mod."

I don't see how it can be that much harder to do this on a 5G, is there not a SMD cap/resistor somewhere inline with line out (L and R of course)? I'm sure there must.

I can see how it could be harder to iMod a 5G, especially with the blackgate output caps, simply because of lack of space and I think Vinnie's process is a little more involved than soldering a few wires; but I could be wrong.

Anyways, like I said "If I had more guts."

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 27
I believe in the iMod, Vinnie attached the lineout from the DAC to the BlackGate output capacitors, then from there to your amp. I'm guessing it might have been that, which damaged the board. Either that or your iron over heated the board.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 27
Did you have any resistors in the output path after the new caps? The spec sheet for the similiar Wolfson DAC's says they must be there to protect from frying the DAC.

Also, did you disconnect the rest of the output circuit? Or could signal still flow down the original path in addition to the one you added?

I am curious about the Imod using Blackgate NX Hi-Q caps... for the correct bass rolloff, assuming a 10k load, the cap should be 1 uF for a 17hz rolloff point. The Blackgate NX Hi-Q only comes in 22uf @ 6.3v, 47uf @ 6.3v, 0.1uf @ 50v and 0.47 @ 50v. Closest would be 0.47uf, but that would still leave the rolloff at 33hz! Would having the cap WAY overvalued (22uf), be harmful in any way?

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mach_y
Did you have any resistors in the output path after the new caps? The spec sheet for the similiar Wolfson DAC's says they must be there to protect from frying the DAC.

Also, did you disconnect the rest of the output circuit? Or could signal still flow down the original path in addition to the one you added?

I did not put the 100R (?) resistors in because I read Vinnie R. saying in one of the iMod threads, that they weren't used in the iMod. So I figured they are expendable. Their function is described as "protecting the output when used improperly" - which I suppose is shorting it or similar.
- Hmm... or maybe what I did to the output also isn't proper...
wink.gif

The original output path was functional, as I wanted to compare the two.
Also, I did not use any output caps.

Overheating, of course is possible. But I really just tacked those wires on, so I was at the joints for about 1-2 sec.
So is ESD, but I grounded myself regularly during the whole procedure.

As for caps: I think the NX 22uF could fit in there and I don't see how it could be harmful. On the similar Wolfson DACs both outputs 1 and 2 can be used as hp-out and the schematic suggests 220uF for that.

Apr 12, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by BavariaBarbarian
I did not put the 100R (?) resistors in because I read Vinnie R. saying in one of the iMod threads, that they weren't used in the iMod. So I figured they are expendable. Their function is described as "protecting the output when used improperly" - which I suppose is shorting it or similar.
- Hmm... or maybe what I did to the output also isn't proper...
wink.gif

The original output path was functional, as I wanted to compare the two.
Also, I did not use any output caps.

Overheating, of course is possible. But I really just tacked those wires on, so I was at the joints for about 1-2 sec.
So is ESD, but I grounded myself regularly during the whole procedure.

As for caps: I think the NX 22uF could fit in there and I don't see how it could be harmful. On the similar Wolfson DACs both outputs 1 and 2 can be used as hp-out and the schematic suggests 220uF for that.

The 100R resistors it said would protect in a situation such as unplugging a connection (lineout cable) while it was on. Using a switch to go back and forth between the two might have caused the same situation, causing your failure.

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 27
Hmm... I remember a faint crackling noise when I turned the knob very slowly once or twice.
Perhaps something got shorted there.

I don't currently have the switchbox with me, I'll have to take a look at what happens exactly when I get home next week.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 27
since you know where the dac is, why dont you completely bypass it, and route the digital signal to an external?

if the dac has an spdif input, or any of the other standards, it will only be 1 extra chip to having a very nice ipod dac.

Apr 12, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 27
I know this is off topic, but how did you mod your Senn HD-25-1s?
580smile.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
since you know where the dac is, why dont you completely bypass it, and route the digital signal to an external?

if the dac has an spdif input, or any of the other standards, it will only be 1 extra chip to having a very nice ipod dac.

Oh no, not me.
wink.gif

I suppose that finding a DAC that will work with the Ipods supply voltage and sounds better than the WM8975 and then mounting it in there won't be easy.

But for starters: If the pinout really is identical to its predecessors, then the digital input signal passes through some smd caps before entering the dac.
It could be re-routed from there to the hp-jack or a new output (maybe a 2.5mm jack) for use with an external dac, but that's just my uneducated guesswork.

(OT) HD25: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143804 Post #11(/OT)

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 27
I think there was previous mention that the DAC in the iPod does not use SPDIF input. It was suppose to use some other standard to output the audio in a digital format to the DAC (perhaps I2C?)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back