I broke my HD580 Senns and now I'm glad I did.
Jan 22, 2007 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Ever since getting my new HD580 Senns, it's clamping force has been a source of discomfort. While attempting to loosen its clamping force by bending the headband back (careful not that far), the plastic part of the headband broke in two. With the cans then being held together only by the metal band, all of its clamping force was lost. I still could use them but they would move around too easily so I needed to repair them somehow. My solution: I cut a strip from a mousepad the size of the headband and with two strips of duct tape and two lightweight cable ties, I satisfactorily connected the two cans. The clamping force is not too loose and my HD580s are much more comfortable.
580smile.gif

Those not wanting to break their Senns as I did, might want to be a bit more careful than I was. Putting books or some such object(s) between the cans would be a safer way to stretch them out.

Jan 22, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 15
Sounds interesting, pictures ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't see headphones snapping in half that easily

but it's cool you were able to fix it for the good.

Yes, it did seem pretty messed up snapping my new cans in two...
eek.gif

I will put it this way, I don't recommend bending these plastic Senns back in an attempt to loosen them up. However, my HD580's are much more comfortable now. Although I really would not want them tighter, I could see most probably would want more clamping force than what mine now have. I just recline in the lazyboy and don't move around much so for me this turned out to be a nice improvement.

Jan 22, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[IM]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c377/20Minutes/HD580.jpg[/IMG]

put 1 more neon green ziptie in there to make it look balanced
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 15
I kinda expected the route of this thread to go something like this.. I broke my HD 580s and im glad i did because i bought HD 650s
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 15
You know its funny, i thought that the clamping force was just too much to take when i first got them. I got them lightly used, so it was still pretty tight to use. What i did was just setup a really huge CD (Round plastic, what you get CDRs in) with a hat on it, then used a tshirt wrapped up inside the hat. Then i use it as a stand for my headphones. I just put them on over the hat with the shirt. This is setup just like it would be if you were wearing it on your head. Im still doing it now, but can safely say its a HUGE difference now. Its much more easier on the clamping since ive done it.

Jan 22, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 15
BTW, there's a Beyer headband pad that some put on their Grados that work well on the HD5/6x0 also. I have it on my HD650. Cheap and an alternative to the mouse pad.

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 15
If the HD580 is constructed like the HD650...

The safe and effective way to ease the "clamping" is to extend the cups all the way out and flatten the spring metal alone. This avoids stessing the plastic. Works like a charm.

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
safe and effective way to ease the "clamping" is to extend the cups all the way out and flatten the spring metal alone

Thanks....i learn something here everyday

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the HD580 is constructed like the HD650...

The safe and effective way to ease the "clamping" is to extend the cups all the way out and flatten the spring metal alone. This avoids stessing the plastic. Works like a charm.

Yeah that is what I did and it did work like a charm. This is a great way to loosen up the clamp for the impatient like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back