I boughts Beats Studio :\
Jan 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jtro21g21

New Head-Fier
Hey I am new here but have been a frequent browser for awhile. I made the mistake of returning a $150 gift from best buy and decided to spend another $150 on the Beats Studio. They look great, everyone who has seen them thinks there awesome and are in shock when I say I want to return them. Don't get me wrong, I dont think they are terrible but its clear to me that I probably could of got some better quality ones for a little less and been more satisfied. Swag points are not a priority, I am looking for good sound with limited leakage.I almost took them back today to perhaps switch and get the Senns 598 but thought I should ask here first. 

I have a few in mind that I will link and hopefully you guys can recommend the best possible kind for around the same price. ****ty thing is I need to purchase the headphones from best buy.. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Adidas+HD+25+Originals+Over-the-Ear+DJ+Headphones/1700559.p?id=1218282103570&skuId=1700559&st=sennheiser%20hd&cp=1&lp=2

Here are some headphones that seem good. Keep it mind I use them when I am studying and lots of time my only music player is my iphone which is good for the beats because they come with an amplifier. What do you guys thing would be a good buy? 

Any help appreciated.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 22
I may be able to get $150 back from Bestbuy, But than that would leave me with another 150 best buy credit there.. So I am kind of in the middle. The Sennheisser 598HD looked like the best bet from Best buy but after further reading it seems that I may need an amp as well. If I really need an amp I will get one but it isn't preferred, I just want clear sound, that hardly leaks, and are somewhat noise cancelling. Did anything from the best buy store stand out to you? If it wasn't just for library study seshes, or typical use for my enjoyment than I might get on your audiophiles level and go all out.. but like I said they aren't so much studio use rather than library use and other random times where I usually use my iphone 4 or laptop. And because the beats already use an amplifier I am having second thoughts about taking it back.  

I am just really split on this because every person who seem them sense I got them love em, but I still fill empty using them because I know I could get better products.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 22
you might want to read up on the difference between noise cancelling and noise isolating.

"somewhat noise cancelling" makes no sense to me.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
Does it have to be at best buy? or can you get money back to buy somewhere else like amazon or even from here in the classified section?

Unfortunately I believe it does. I may be able to get $150 bucks back but the other $150 will be through store credit. So I might be stuck with Beats Studios which aren;t all that bad but I feel like the Sennheissers 598HD would be better all around. But then my concern is I use these headphones for my laptop and iphone 4, The beats are built with an amplifier already which is why I am not sure if I should exchange them for nice headphones with an amp, 

Basically any help from any of you experienced people would be appreciated, Because it seems as if I buy anything other than the beats studio then I am going to have to look into buying a mini amp if I want the full potential of some the cans, I am just looking for great headphones that can handle an iphone 4 and laptop in the same price range as beats studio,, I guess if worse comes to worse I can purchase an amp. But seems like too much hassle considering I am an average listener who just wants some type of the line headphones to study with in the library or just vibe to on occasion.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 22
Let me make this a bit easier for you:
Do not get the HD 598. They are open--they will leak sound in and out. 
In fact, do not get any open headphones.
You want closed headphones.

Search around the forums, I'm sure you will find many threads already recommending exactly what you need.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 22
By the sounds of it, closed and bassy?
I'd try Pioneer HDJ2000, the Sennheiser HD25's already mentioned, or maybe some Monster Turbine Pro Copper/Gold if you're willing to go IEM?

Otherwise, the search bar is your friend.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 22
You've made the first and most important step of realizing that Beats are very overpriced for the inferior sound quality,  They make great 'bling', but that's about all that they're good for.
The HD 25's are an excellent phone and they shouls meet your requirements - excellent sound quality, limited leakage since they're closed rather than open headphones.  They are well suited
for portability and for home and library use.  And they do look good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Bue39AGZo

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 22
FWIW, Best Buy sells AMEX, and Visa gift cards if you want to shop elsewhere for audio gear; although I think it costs ~$3 to load the card. You could also pick up Amazon gift cards without paying a loading fee. Either way, you're likely to find a better deal somewhere other than Best Buy

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
FWIW, Best Buy sells AMEX, and Visa gift cards if you want to shop elsewhere for audio gear; although I think it costs ~$3 to load the card. You could also pick up Amazon gift cards without paying a loading fee. Either way, you're likely to find a better deal somewhere other than Best Buy

can you buy those with a best buy gift card? 

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 22
I'll add my voice to those recommending the HD 25-II, they meet all of your needs, are cheaper than the beats with better sound quality. You don't need an amp for them but will sound even better if you get one a little later...I love mine and use them in bed and they don't disturb my wife so the isolation is good

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
can you buy those with a best buy gift card? 

yup
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back