I bought DT 770 pro 80ohms now need an amp
Apr 16, 2017 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

urien01

New Head-Fier
hey everyone
I bought dt770 80 ohm and I also bought FiiO X3-II  but I am not getting enough bass and volume. Do I need an amp too? Am I gonna get bass with amp? and that amp should be portable because I use them outdoor. thanks in advance

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 13
  hey everyone
I bought dt770 80 ohm and I also bought FiiO X3-II  but I am not getting enough bass and volume. Do I need an amp too? Am I gonna get bass with amp? and that amp should be portable because I use them outdoor. thanks in advance

Check the menu if it has a gain setting - it might be on low gain by default because of high sensitivity IEMs. I find it highly unlikely that a DAP designed to spit out more than 100mW at 32ohms can't get it loud enough, unless we both have an extremely different definition of "loud" (in my case, even my iPad can take my HD600 to hearing damage levels, except the sound is obviously distorted by that point compared to an actual headphone amp).

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 13
  If you are not able to get enough volume, then yes, you most likely need better amplification. I have personally only used the DT 770 with desktop amps. Hopefully someone else can chime in about portable amps here.

A lot of people seem to like FiiO amps, like this one, should be able to power the DT 770.

thats a cool looking amp thanks for the suggestion mate

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 13
  I am already using it on loud setting and without that its really really low. Yeah it looks like I need an amp but which one is the best

You sure that's for gain? I don't have it but on many audio gear when something is labelled "loud" it tends to have some kind of EQ effect, like boosting treble and bass, rather than increasing the gain.

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 13

You sure that's for gain? I don't have it but on many audio gear when something is labelled "loud" it tends to have some kind of EQ effect, like boosting treble and bass, rather than increasing the gain.

I am not sure what exaclty is that for but there is also another thing I dont understand about that player and its about EQ. When I use EQ the volume drops drastically so I am using it on flat so thats another reason I dont have enough bass

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 13
I am not sure what exaclty is that for but there is also another thing I dont understand about that player and its about EQ. When I use EQ the volume drops drastically so I am using it on flat so thats another reason I dont have enough bass
If you want a amp that will more than power them look into Fiio A 5. It has the power of the E-12 with the noise floor of the E-12a. It also has a bass boost switch to boot .

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 13
  I am not sure what exaclty is that for....

Ask in the X5III thread. I really suspect it to be a Loudness EQ, like the "night mode" on A/V receivers, and not an actual gain setting. Gain affects power delivery, kind of like transmission gear ratios. You can have a big block V8 in a car but if the ratios are wrong you still won't get enough speed to get past the truck in front of you before you slam into the oncoming car.

...but there is also another thing I dont understand about that player and its about EQ. When I use EQ the volume drops drastically so I am using it on flat so thats another reason I dont have enough bass

That's likely because you have some other DSP effect running and enabling manual EQ disables it. It isn't lowering the volume, that's just the normal output, and ultimately your problem is low gain on the amp circuit.

Alternately it could be a DSP safety feature, so not only do you have the amp circuit's analogue gain on low, you also have the digital gain set a little lower.

Either way, ask in the X5III thread how to get to the amp's high gain setting and try that first before buying an amp because that's free.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 13
My X3-ii drives my DT770/80 with plenty of volume, but the combo is a little light on bass. I own two FiiO amps (E12a and A3) and love them both. The A3 is a great value.

Yeah man like I said lack of bass is a big problem for me

If you want a amp that will more than power them look into Fiio A 5. It has the power of the E-12 with the noise floor of the E-12a. It also has a bass boost switch to boot .

thats a good looking amp man thanks I will look into it

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 13
Ask in the X5III thread. I really suspect it to be a Loudness EQ, like the "night mode" on A/V receivers, and not an actual gain setting. Gain affects power delivery, kind of like transmission gear ratios. You can have a big block V8 in a car but if the ratios are wrong you still won't get enough speed to get past the truck in front of you before you slam into the oncoming car.

That's likely because you have some other DSP effect running and enabling manual EQ disables it. It isn't lowering the volume, that's just the normal output, and ultimately your problem is low gain on the amp circuit.

Alternately it could be a DSP safety feature, so not only do you have the amp circuit's analogue gain on low, you also have the digital gain set a little lower.

Either way, ask in the X5III thread how to get to the amp's high gain setting and try that first before buying an amp because that's free.
No that is not dsp. EQ has only what you have to deal with if you raise something then the others have to lower a bit that it is what it is. There is only the power that is put out and if you EQ it higher it robs power to do it from the rest of it.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 13
No that is not dsp. EQ has only what you have to deal with if you raise something then the others have to lower a bit that it is what it is. There is only the power that is put out and if you EQ it higher it robs power to do it from the rest of it.

The way I understood him he basically says that as soon as EQ is enabled all the sound is lower. If enabling a software DSP feature like EQ (yeah, EQ is Digital Sound Processing, just not the fancy stuff most people associate the acronym with) suddenly has the CPU ramping up and it robs the amp circuit of power to do its job, it must be a really schiity circuit, since my smartphone can run Neutron Music Player at high CPU loads without the sound losing any dB's of output level apart from what I cut on the EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back