I bought a Sennheiser HD598 (Prime day deal)
Jul 16, 2017 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Badsam

100+ Head-Fier
I've previously owned the HD600 twice and HD650 once;

HD600 > Fiio A3 > iPod 5g
HD600 > Fiio A5 > iPod 5g
HD650 > Fiio A5 > Fiio X5ii

The HD600 was far too flat/neutral/analytical and I found the treble harsh/fatiguing. Modern music was very bright and grating to listen to.

The HD650 setup was perfect almost but something always felt off. It was very dark and warm but music was actually putting me to sleep listening to them at times. They also felt severely under-amped with this portable Fiio amp.

When I found out about the HD598's only being £80 I decided to jump on the deal, since supposedly they are like a hybrid between the HD600 and HD650.

I've had them about half a week now and I sort of agree. They have elements of the two more expensive pairs but never really do any one thing better. The detail and highs are close to the 600, the soundstage is similar to the 650, same with bass. Vocals were about the same on all three.

I felt like the 600 needed far more bass, warmth and soundstage...but the 650 needed less warmth (the amount of bass and the power of it when using the A5 bass switch was perfect) and more highs/detail.

Using all three unamped, they sound pretty similar but I remember that after I used an amp on the 600/650 it was almost impossible to enjoy it unamped again. The amp added more power and force, better separation of sounds, more air, more bass, harder hitting bass, a bit of warmth. Even still though, it never felt like a portable amp was good enough. You could always tell something was off... possibly because the 300ohm impedance was too high and a portable amp just couldn't fully drive them. At times they couldn't keep up with the speed and things all mushed together. I know something like a mains powered Schiit or tube amp was really required which was why I sold them both.

I'm currently using the 598's straight out of an AKjr headphone jack. Do you think it would be a good move adding an amp again? (Specifically the Fiio A5 again). These are only 50ohms and are probably a much better pairing for a portable amp.

I like how the 598 sounds, it's very clear and detailed, the soundstage is good too. It just needs a lot more heavy hitting bass and a bit more seperation at times I think.

Would the A5 power it well? Or is it a case of yet again needing a proper non-portable amp to properly run it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back