I Bought A Pair of AD900X And they have much less bass than the hd 598, Can they be defective?
Mar 6, 2017 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Josz27

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I Traded a pair of hd 598 for a pair new pair of ad900x, Mids and highs are ok, but the bass in some songs is almost non-existent, I Think that they have less or maybe the same bass than my old panasonic( I Can't compare well because One driver of my panasonic died) of 20 dollars, And they were not bassy, If we compare the m50x  the hd 598 to my panasonic, and if we had fantastic bass units, my panasonic had 5 "Units" of bass, Hd 598 7-8 and m50x 10-11, So... Also , before I Sent the hd 598 I Was not amping them and they had good bass, but this pair of ad900x has less bass or same than a super cheap pair, Anyone got the same problem? There can be bad batches of ad900x's?

I have a Microstreamer dac/amp, but I dont have the USB Cable right now, oMaybe I Will buy one soon to see if that makes a difference.
The Headphones Are Authentic, Soundstage is wider than hd 598 but a little less deep(They have big soundstages)
The problem is the bass of these headphones.

Anyone has compared very well the bass of the ad900x and hd 598 and can help me?

As a Curious thing I Remembered than when I used the Microstreamer whit the hd 598, they had Less bass, Can be that my Soundcard has a high output impedance and the hd 598 had much bass because of that?(they were not bassy, but they had decent bass, )

I'm From México, The headphones were brought from BuyDig at 129 Dollars .

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 18
Well I've never tried the HD598 but I can tell you your AD900X isn't defective. Those headphones just don't have much bass by design. They don't have a bassy sound signature. If you don't like em, just sell em and get a different, bassier pair.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 18
  Hi, I Traded a pair of hd 598 for a pair new pair of ad900x, Mids and highs are ok, but the bass in some songs is almost non-existent, I Think that they have less or maybe the same bass than my old panasonic( I Can't compare well because One driver of my panasonic died) of 20 dollars, And they were not bassy, If we compare the m50x  the hd 598 to my panasonic, and if we had fantastic bass units, my panasonic had 5 "Units" of bass, Hd 598 7-8 and m50x 10-11, So... Also , before I Sent the hd 598 I Was not amping them and they had good bass, but this pair of ad900x has less bass or same than a super cheap pair, Anyone got the same problem? There can be bad batches of ad900x's?

I have a Microstreamer dac/amp, but I dont have the USB Cable right now, oMaybe I Will buy one soon to see if that makes a difference.
The Headphones Are Authentic, Soundstage is wider than hd 598 but a little less deep(They have big soundstages)
The problem is the bass of these headphones.

Anyone has compared very well the bass of the ad900x and hd 598 and can help me?

As a Curious thing I Remembered than when I used the Microstreamer whit the hd 598, they had Less bass, Can be that my Soundcard has a high output impedance and the hd 598 had much bass because of that?(they were not bassy, but they had decent bass, )

I'm From México, The headphones were brought from BuyDig at 129 Dollars .

What sound card do you have?

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 18

The AD900X isn't exactly known for strong bass response and you're comparing it to headphones that have a natural boost in the bass response.

AD900 here but it's not going to be drastically different

On top of that the AD900X has a self-adjusting headband that tries to maintain a more relaxed clamp. If you wore the other headphones, especially the Sennheiser, with the same amount of clamp and newer earpads that haven't been worn down, the drivers would be farther from your ears as well as affect how porous the pads are once worn, which can affect the bass response.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 18

What sound card do you have?

I Have a ****ty Realtek Sound Card, Nothing special, But with the hd 598 I obtained a good amount of bass with it, My pc does not specify what model it is(I have tried almost all).
Ad900x have an impedance of 38ohms, hd 598 have 50omhs But they need like 250-270 ohms in the low frequences, And they had like 30% more bass than the ad900x with my Souncard.
Can be something related with the sensitivity Of the headphones?

Tomorrow, One friend maybe will lend me a Mini Usb cable to use it with the Microstreamer, I have not bought one because who sent me the Microstreamer forgot to send the cable And I'm waiting for it =/ .

I Hope that the Microstreamer Dac/Amp gives them some bass.

I Thought that nobody would answer, Thanks to everyone for Write Something =) I Appreciate it =)

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 18

hd 598 have 50omhs But they need like 250-270 ohms in the low frequences, And they had like 30% more bass than the ad900x with my Souncard.

They don't "need 250-270ohms in the low frequencies," the impedance shifts to roughly 270ohms at 100hz.

Can be something related with the sensitivity Of the headphones?

Given its relatively high sensitivity however it's not necessary to use an amp with very high current delivery.

I Hope that the Microstreamer Dac/Amp gives them some bass.

If your soundcard/ motherboard has a very high output impedance then the Microstreamer might help it recover its natural bass response.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 18

They don't "need 250-270ohms in the low frequencies," the impedance shifts to roughly 270ohms at 100hz.

Given its relatively high sensitivity however it's not necessary to use an amp with very high current delivery.

If your soundcard/ motherboard has a very high output impedance then the Microstreamer might help it recover its natural bass response.

So the bass response could be affected by a very high output impedance of my Soundcard?(I Think that it is at least 70% that it has a high output impedance) If the output impedance is very high for the headphone, Do the Bass response will be altered and would be more powerful?  or this depends of the headphone and sometimes it can be less powerfull? I Don't know very Well How this Works, Sorry for the ignorance.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 18
  So the bass response could be affected by a very high output impedance of my Soundcard?(I Think that it is at least 70% that it has a high output impedance) If the output impedance is very high for the headphone, Do the Bass response will be altered and would be more powerful?  or this depends of the headphone and sometimes it can be less powerfull? I Don't know very Well How this Works, Sorry for the ignorance.

It can go both ways. High output impedance relative to the low load impedance lowers damping factor - as an oversimplification, that means the amp has less control of driver movement. It can increase the volume of the bass or reduce it but either way it will be imprecise, having a tendency for each note to meld into each other rather than having very distinct notes.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 18

It can go both ways. High output impedance relative to the low load impedance lowers damping factor - as an oversimplification, that means the amp has less control of driver movement. It can increase the volume of the bass or reduce it but either way it will be imprecise, having a tendency for each note to meld into each other rather than having very distinct notes.

Thank You very much, I Thought that if that was happening they Always should have more bass, and acording to that, I Though that Maybe the ad900x would have even less bass  with the Microstreamer!
But there is a chance to Get more bass =) Thanks.

When I Get the Cable, I Will report how it goes with the Microstreamer =)
(#PrayForMe) xD

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 18
  Thank You very much, I Thought that if that was happening they Always should have more bass, and acording to that, I Though that Maybe the ad900x would have even less bass  with the Microstreamer!
But there is a chance to Get more bass =) Thanks.

When I Get the Cable, I Will report how it goes with the Microstreamer =)
(#PrayForMe) xD

Not necessarily just outright "more" bass, but just more defined notes. Instead of weak and indistinct notes you can get a more refined "THUMP!" with a bass drum kick for example, but that's on something like AC/DC and stuff. Don't expect it to suddenly have thumping, creeping, bone-vibrating (and ecstasy-enhancing) bass with crunk and EDM.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 18
Haha I'm back 1000 Years after... Even with the Microstreamer they have very light bass, But some people say that the MS don't has a lot of bass, But yes, seems that it sounds more defined and has some exciting impact with some songs(like Demetori metal) that they would haven't without using this Dac.
But I'm Still wondering if they are defective or no, or just from a different batch with a little less bass, I have the "idea" that mine have equal bass to the ad700, it's just an idea that comes to my mind, haven't tried the 700,700x, or 900(without x).
But if that is not true and my ad900x are totally fine, I jus't can't imagine how much bass a pair of ad700 would have and I Would laugh considering that in bass quantity: ad900x>ad900>ad700x>ad700
Anyway they sound very clear, but I can Clearly remember that my HD 598 had some very good bass quantity in some songs, just enough bass(while in ad900x sounds more weak), or maybe I got an special and little more bassy HD 598.
They sound more clear than hd 598 but they have less bass, in quantity they are like a pair of "neutral" 20 dollar headphones but with more quality in the bass.
Also the depth of the hd 598 soundstage is what sometimes I Miss in the ad900x, Ad900x soundstage is more wide, More 2D, HD 598 is less wide but has more Depth, More 3D.
I Also don't know if they are a good match with the microstreamer, people say that the amp of the Microstreamer is bright, I notice some silibance in some recordings, also very bright sound in some songs with this pair, Or maybe this brightness is nothing compared as If I would be using the Microstreamer with something like Akg 702 or some grados.
I Also don't know if they have a more dry sound in the vocals with the HRT microstreamer of they sound more raspy because they have more detail, while it has like a "premium/gold" aura that envelops the vocals, and while sounding probably more beauitiful, they are more raspy, Idk if that is because the voice was not reccording very well, Dry sounding of the pairing, or more detail.
I Think I have used them like 250 Hours, no more bass in the process, only normal use.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 18
I Would like to know of what is a good match for ad900x, if the Microstreamer is a good match or bad one, if some of you have used something like the dragonfly with pair of ad900x and compared to another dacs and more specially the microstreamer, let me know.
And If you can tell me how good the ad900x will pair with tube amp it's much better xD
Also If you cand recommend some EQ for J-river for more bass I Would appreciate it =)

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 18
I Would like to know of what is a good match for ad900x, if the Microstreamer is a good match or bad one, if some of you have used something like the dragonfly with pair of ad900x and compared to another dacs and more specially the microstreamer, let me know.

I'd doubt the Microstreamer is distorting or running out of current for the AD900X. The amp isn't the problem here. How old are the pads? If there are third party pads that will fit try something with leather instead of velour.

And If you can tell me how good the ad900x will pair with tube amp it's much better xD

Check how a particular OTL amp will behave with it because the high output impedance can potentially trim the bass as much as boost it.

Hybrid amps don't really boost the bass, they just round out sharp edges on the treble; also these tend to have low output impedance, so they also wouldn't just boost the bass.

Push-Pull amps have low output impedance as well and are expensive. You'd pay for a lot of glass and iron and copper and not get what you're looking for.

Also If you cand recommend some EQ for J-river for more bass I Would appreciate it =)

No idea what features that EQ has but if I had that headphone, I'd run the following profile on Equalizer APO:

1. 25hz - +6dB
2. 40hz - +5dB
3. 55hz - +4dB
4. 70hz - +3dB
5. 85hz - +3dB
6. 100hz - +3dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back