I bought a pair HF5 and LOVE the sound but...
Dec 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
After some of the honeymoon has worn off and I am having a bit of a hangover. Sonically I am still very much in love with the sound of these but my ears are not used to DEEP INSERTION! and I am not enamored with the bone conduction and cable noises I am getting from these. The chin strap is helping a bit but walking around I get the stomp stomp stomp no matter what. Funny thing though, if i use the trflange the stomping is less than when I use the supplied foam tips plus the tri's are definitely more detailed and I am liking their sound the most.

So if I go get the audiologist tips will that make these more comfortable while maintaining the clarity I get with the tri-flanges? If not I may have to find something that is a shallower fit. For those in the know. Would I get a similar sound to the Ety from one of the Westone earphones? If so which would be the best one to look at? Ideally I would like this type of mids and upper clarity but possibly with a bit more bass if possible. Don't hold back on your recommendations either, I will seriously consider anything from the W1 to the W4, just so long as it has at least the same type of clarity I am getting from the HF5. Also if you don't think any of those choices will fit my bill then tell me which one you think will.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 7
The RE272 has same clarity as Etymotic IEMs and it's extended in highs, midrange details and offers good amount of bass. The other IEMs has close soundsignature to HF5 are like Sony EX1000, CK10.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 7
theres a lot of microphonics with the HF5, i think it needs a shirt clip

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 7
I have olives, I will try them on my walk to the train tonight. I am using the clip and going over ear already.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and please keep them coming.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
The RE272 has same clarity as Etymotic IEMs and it's extended in highs, midrange details and offers good amount of bass. The other IEMs has close soundsignature to HF5 are like Sony EX1000, CK10.

It also costs more, has worse build, and is not as fast simply by virtue of being a dynamic IEM.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 7
I haven't heard the HF5 in a while, but if you like what they offer and want better. Skip a whole bunch of the middle guys and go for the Grado GR10. It really reminded me of the HF5 but super comfortable...and well a lot better. Amazingly clear. Analytical and musical at the same time. Fantastic earphones! For me, very preferable to the Westone 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back