I bought a Heed Audio Dactilus
Oct 15, 2008 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheManko

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking for a new DAC and since a store here in Sweden had it in stock I decided to take my chances even though I was unable to find any info or reviews of any kind.

This is my first DAC or higher quality source of any kind, so I wasn't sure what kind of improvement I could expect, but the store had a 14 day return policy, so I could've done that if it turned out to be a disapointment. Luckily I'm so far pretty happy with the results. Compared to my Auzentech Prelude (I'm using optical out via the soundcard to the dac) the sound is overall clearer with deeper bass, clearer mids and treble. The midrange is probably the biggest change, because I can clearly hear what people are singing better now.

Since I don't have many references my experience probably shouldn't have too much weight in any way, but at least you know now that it's not a complete disaster of a product.

I paid 3995 SEK (Swedish money) for it, so I'd guess that the price would be around 400-500$ when it's released in the US. I'll post some pictures when I come home, but the design isn't very exciting. It looks like a Heed Canamp with a blank front. Should I try to open it and take pics of the insides as well?

By the way, my listening setup consists entirely of a computer with an Auzentech Prelude and I'm using a Harmony Design Ear 9 amp for my AKG 701, Beyer 990, Sennheiser 595 and 280 headphones. The speakers I'm using are Proson Reality Mk 2 66 with a stereo Rotel amp. Can't remember the name of the amp, but it's s 2x 100 watt amp and since it's a Rotel it's pretty good and weighs as much as my Nad T744. I have only tried listening with the Akg 701, Beyer 990 and speakers so far.

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheManko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I try to open it and take pics of the insides as well?

Wait for the warranty to expire before you do that.

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 12
Ok, finally for the picture update where I also realize that I'm a worthless photographer. The desk isn't very pretty with those phone books holding up my old CRT, but that's only temporary until my LCD is fixed.

dactilusfront.jpg

dactilusrear.jpg

Luckily I was able to get the screws out just fine! The interior looks a bit empty, but that's because the power supply is external in a pretty large black brick which I forgot to take pictures of.

interiorwide.jpg

interior2.jpg

interior1.jpg

backoninterior.jpg

Oh and in case anyone is curious here's the Harmony Design Ear 9 amp. I was unable to get it open, but it's a solid state amp for about 1000 SEK less than the Dactilus.

ear9.jpg

ear9rear.jpg

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 12
Congratulations!
..and welcome to Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 12
I'm not going to open the Dac again and take a proper picture of the back, because the screwdriver didn't completely match the screws and it wore them out when I closed it. Any more and it will be too obvious that I opened it and messed about if I have to return it!

Oh and I have been reading head-fi for so long that I am 100% serious about buying a Corda Symphony and Denon AH-D7000 when my studies are done and I hopefully get a job. Most people would think that I'm insane, but for me it's amazing value for money compared to the sound I could get for that money from speakers. This forum and spending way too much time in hifi stores listening to high-end gear have irreparably damaged me.

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 12
Well, the case is the same as that of the Heed Rega external PS. Actually, on that note, what type of power supply is used here. I presume a wall-wart?

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 12
The power supply is a pretty generic looking black box which is pretty light, so I assume that it's the same thing they would supply with any of their products where they advertise the Q-PSU as an upgrade.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 12
I'd be dissapointed by a DAC that small fitted into a case in which four of them would fit. Moreover, you said the power supply is a pretty light black box. Maybe just a simple SMPS. There's no filtration or multiple oscillators other features you'd even find in a higher-end soundcard. Looks like a ripoff.
It may not be and it may even be a great deal but if I were you I'd quickly return it and try it out again when you have something to compare it to.

May 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi guys.

I read the posts here and thought I'd help out with some photos for you.
This is how they are imported to the US. DACtilus with Q-PSU.
The screws that TheManko in referring to in this post are standard allen head screws.

I have a small-ish audio retail business in Southern California. As such, I can't afford to simply "drink the coolaid" and cary everything any one brand has to offer. I still like to listen to and evaluate each component before I decide to floor it in my business.
For its performance and price point, I have to say this DAC earned its spot here.

Is it the last word in DACs? Probably not but I will say that playing it through any number of systems here, (including headphone setups) I can't think of a time when I've not enjoyed it's music delivery.
It's simply very engaging.

Don't be "disappointed" about the real estate in the DAC cabinet. This format cabinet is the springboard for a bunch of products that HEED makes, from preamps to amps and even their CanAmp headphone amplifier is housed in this same type box. So please don't damn them for using something that is readily available to them.

The folks at Heed Audio are really nice people. They are music lovers first and foremost and when it comes to designing their electronics, they aren't exactly chasing specifications -they also like to listen.
In my opinion, the thing to do, as is the case with any hi-fi component, is to listen to the item in question. If you like it, you're probably safe in buying one, as ultimately that's really all that counts. It has to appeal to you.

DACtilus.JPG

BackDACtilus.JPG

HeedPowersupply.JPG

I just had an email exchange with Bob Clarke of Profundo, the US importer for Heed Audio. Apparently, there is a more basic power supply that this DAC will come with in some areas outside of the USA but after hearing the enhanced influence that the Q-PSU power supply has on the performance of the DACtilus, he chose to only import it packaged with the bigger power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back