I blame/thank Ray Samuels and John Diles - who do you hold responsible, portaheadphiles?
Dec 14, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #17 of 29
No love for Chu Moy......the inventor of the Cmoy amp??????? I think without that we wouldn't have so many of these other amps because he released the design to the public.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoever invented the Sony Walkman back in the '70's, it's been a heckuva ride.

yup. went from a walkman to a discman to a minidisc to an ipod.
the first three were made by sony. they really are the true pioneers, and started it all for me.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #19 of 29
Presently: Ray

Originally: my 3-transistor radio, circa 1964.

Notable mention: circa 1964, my uncle (electrical engineer for Admiral {TVs}) wanted to give me a pair of fake eyeglasses with a built-in transistor radio! It had an earphone attached with a short cord! His wife, my aunt, told him I was too young and I didn't get it.
frown.gif
Many years of therapy later I'm able to just barely function.
smily_headphones1.gif

Portent of things to come (or this weird adult was once a weird kid): on my 10th birthday I got a portable 5-inch reel-to-reel tape recorder! About the size of a small '80s boom-box, ran on four D batteries; forgot the manufacturer. I recall carrying that thing around blasting Frank Zappa (dubbed from my older sister's record)!

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #21 of 29
I blame Norm and his affordable yet excelent go-vibe series of amps for showing me life beyond the ipod headphone-out
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #22 of 29
I voted Jan since the Porta Corda MKIII was really my first foray into "Hi-end" audio. But truly, it was Gary from Electric Avenues, that started my Head-Fi upgradtis...

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No love for Chu Moy......the inventor of the Cmoy amp??????? I think without that we wouldn't have so many of these other amps because he released the design to the public.

I would say Tangent, and indirectly, Chu. Building my first CMoy opened the door just enough to the light through.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #29 of 29
Stephen Katsaounis - Rockhopper mini3

Gary - PA2V2, was my first amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back