I am very confused...
Nov 24, 2009 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

cryticfarm

New Head-Fier
Now, I just got into the sound card market, and I'm looking for something sub 100 Canadian dollars. I've found two sound cards I'm interested in, the HT Omega Striker and the AuzenTech X-Plosion. Look at the back of them, to be honest, I have no clue where I would plug my headphones in in the first place :\. So, can anyone help?

Also, I've been considering getting the Asus Xonar D1 aswell.

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 17
you need to tell us what you need the soundcard card for.

gaming? music? both? do you need 7.1 sound.
is stereo enough?
do you need an analog or digital output? or both?
do you need a recording ability?

etc. etc.

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 17
what headphones will you be using?

do you have an amp?

do you have computer noise problems? to check turn up the volume without playing back any sound. you should hear monoton base noise/hiss. then move your mouse, start some programs, play a game (without sound). does the hiss change?

so far I would recommend a simple DAC at your price range. it will provide the best soundquality for the money spent.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 17
that is great news!

there is absolutely no need to spend any money on your soundcard.
you will not be able to hear a difference.

once you get more "delicate" headphones consider upgrading your source.
your source should cost 10-20% of your sound system (headphone rig).

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipumuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is absolutely no need to spend any money on your soundcard.
you will not be able to hear a difference.

I beg to differ.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 17
i guess you have active speakers. that are speakers that you can turn on or off which means they have a built in amp. they do not tell you anything about the quality of your built in soundcard.

also, a steady monoton ground noise is normal. you can spend thousands of dollars on your system and you will still hear it when you turn your amp loud enough.

in your case it is just important that this ground noise does not change when your computer is busy (starting a programm or loading a game).

I would recommend you get some new headphones ;D - the ms1 is where it all begins!

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipumuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess you have active speakers. that are speakers that you can turn on or off which means they have a built in amp. they do not tell you anything about the quality of your built in soundcard.

also, a steady monoton ground noise is normal. you can spend thousands of dollars on your system and you will still hear it when you turn your amp loud enough.

in your case it is just important that this ground noise does not change when your computer is busy (starting a programm or loading a game).

I would recommend you get some new headphones ;D - the ms1 is where it all begins!

Are you sure though? Like seriously, I'm on freaking realtek integrated right now.

So should I get a DAC or a Sound Card?
Also, where could I find a DAC in Canada?

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 17
get either:

HA NG27 USB Sound Card + Mini Headphone Amp - eBay (item 350240031937 end time Dec-12-09 03:42:35 PST)

or

HOTAUDIO BIT-PERFECT USB DAC HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER AMP - eBay (item 280390189063 end time Nov-25-09 08:41:47 PST)

the ha ng27 is probably the better overall product. it comes with an own power-supply, which is its biggest advantage. it is engineered and produced in china.

the "bit perfect" is handmade in the USA and you will receive the best support imaginable. it is ugly
biggrin.gif

you can not go wrong with either of these.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 17
you can also buy it directly at his homepage. it will be the same person processing your order and giving you support.

this dac/amp combination has a 3.5mm output and a rca output. you can plugin your headphones directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back