I am used to my Denon, where should I go next!
Jan 20, 2006 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
What's up all! I have a decent Denon CDP, the DVD-1920. I would keep it as my main source, but since I have upgraded other components in my system, I feel I can do better!

My only concern, is that I like the sound, and wouldn't want to stray away from the sound signature to much.

What can you recommend as a nice upgrade to my player, yet still keeping the Denon sound?
icon10.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 12
Denon 5910?
icon10.gif

No, really, the 2910 has been reported to be one of the better sounding universal decks around. Ask Welly Wu, I'm sure he could tell you everything you want to know about universal players!

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 12
cheechoz, you do have SACDs? If you don't use that feature - get an external DAC. It's just more bang for the buck. Otherwise, if you like the Denon signature, well you want a bigger Denon. It's not that I would buy one again since I did not like the service's behaviour when I complained about the drive noise issue on my 2900, but one has to admit that Denon has some very impressive machines.

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Denon 5910?
icon10.gif

No, really, the 2910 has been reported to be one of the better sounding universal decks around. Ask Welly Wu, I'm sure he could tell you everything you want to know about universal players!

I always thought about that 2910, maybe this is a stupid question, but why is the Burr-Brown DAC in my 1920, a higher model number? Is it a newer, better DAC that replaces the one in the 2910?
confused.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 12
The 2910 if I remember correctly has the exact same internals as the 2900 just in the smaller chassis. So it uses a slightly older dac, which is why I recommended the 3910. I really think the 3910 is the best value if you are in the market for a universal player. It's video playback is fantastic and while it's audio performance is not great it is a great base for future modding
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
get a denon 2910 or 3910 and get it modded by SACDMods.

That's what I'm thinking of doing, but how is the upgrade in sound quality, as compared with stock?
icon10.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
That's what I'm thinking of doing, but how is the upgrade in sound quality, as compared with stock?
icon10.gif

according to Tkam, who has owned a modded 2900, it's night and day.

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
according to Tkam, who has owned a modded 2900, it's night and day.

Excellent! but I don't know about that night and day difference, I used that term once before, and it generated a lot of bad responses!
eek.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Excellent! but I don't know about that night and day difference, I used that term once before, and it generated a lot of bad responses!
eek.gif

It's a pretty big difference in that I didn't like the 2900 stock (I was using it as a dvdplayer mostly so i didn't care too much) and thought it sounded very good modded. Another good option if SACDMods is someone your looking at for modding is the Sony NS9100ES. Do you have a budget in mind?

Jan 21, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
The 2910 if I remember correctly has the exact same internals as the 2900 just in the smaller chassis. So it uses a slightly older dac, which is why I recommended the 3910. I really think the 3910 is the best value if you are in the market for a universal player. It's video playback is fantastic and while it's audio performance is not great it is a great base for future modding
smily_headphones1.gif

The 3910 has very decent sound, better than the 2900 and 2910. If you are looking for a universal player this is a good one. If you don't care about DVD-A or SACD or DVD, and just want CD audio try the EAstsound CD-E5 (fabulous) cured me of thinking my 3910's sound which I loved could not get better.

I am planning to SACDmod the 3910 and compare it to the Eastsound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back