I am the slowest listener EVER! (classical music related)
Jul 8, 2003 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Luvya

100+ Head-Fier
Ever since I got into classical music 4 years ago, I've spent at least 10 hours a day on average just listening to the music. Yet, the music that I can speak of with confidence and enjoy throughly is still very limited! It took me more than 2 years listening to Bach Cello suites..and I still can't say that I fully follow the music. Beethoven's late quartets is still a foreign ground to me, as well as all the contemporary works. There are so many music that I look forward to listen to, but the list is just too long, and I am too slow an absorber. I don't know if I am the only one to feel this way, but anyway, what's ur story?

Jul 8, 2003 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 21
My advice.......absorb less, listen to more variety

I can only listen 3-4 hrs a day tops since I have busy work schedule, but I have over 1800 Cds that demand my attention, usually I have to combine activities and listen to music while watching muted TV programs............ and sometimes also use computer at the same time!

I have everything in great room so can do all three at once, there is too much great music to hear, can't afford to be "slowed down"
or I would never discover all the music I have now.

I have no need to dig deep into works and study every detail, music should be fun/enjoyable listening, not too serious or labored study course IMO.

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
My advice.......absorb less, listen to more variety

I have no need to dig deep into works and study every detail, music should be fun/enjoyable listening, not too serious or labored study course IMO.

I completely agree with this. Try to enjoy the music rather than over analyzing it. Listen to a greater variety so you can get a greater picture of what is out there. This in itself could help you better absorb and understand music that you have previously listened to. Remember, music is supposed to be for entertainment
600smile.gif
so don't make it laborious.

Jul 8, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 21
I have to disagree here. It depends what you want to get out of listening to music -- if you really want to expand your horizons in classical music, you might listen more carefully than if it is like background music with distractions. Yet you shouldn't approach it like a textbook.

However, I suppose you don't just listen to the music for ten hours per day. If this is the case and you're having trouble "understanding" the music, then take an hour or so to listen through a whole quartet or perhaps a whole CD without any distractions -- no book, no surfing the 'net, no chatting with others in the room. It took me a few listens to understand Bartok and I can now listen critically to live and recorded performances. It adds a lot of fun to the live music experience when you can sit and listen for the parts of a piece you particularly love and see how the group plays it. And if you like it more or less than your reference recording, what was different? Did the first violinist play too mechanically? Did the cellist recede too much into the background?

The process of adapting to new genres within classical music can be very frustrating for a beginner or someone who's listened his whole life (like me). I started listening to atonalist music earlier this year and bough some recordings of music composed by early 20th-century masters Alban Berg, Arnold Schoenberg, and Anton Webern. My first acquaintance with this kind of music was at Boston's Symphony Hall. The BSO played Schoenberg's Five Orchestral Pieces and somehow it just struck a chord within me even though I couldn't make heads or tails of it. It seemed like random notes strewn about the hall without any order, but I still enjoyed it. This sort of thing is a good sign. Like with a difficult poem, understanding is not seminal at first reading but rather attachment to some element within the work that piques your interest or just makes it appealing to you.

With a musical work that you're trying to understand, I'd try the following -- try to identify voices within the music. This can be especially good for chamber music where you have only several distinct voices. You can even try to attach human moods and personalities to each voice. For example, a violin often sounds like a complaining woman with a soprano voice. A cello can sound like a lazy old man who is responding to his daughter's complaints with a feeble defense.

Once you can assign character to the music it becomes much easier to understand. It gains meaning for you and each time you listen you can try to find the characters you created, only to find that you hear a new character in the place of the one you heard the last time you listened. Or perhaps you hear a different quality in the "voice."

Sorry for rambling. My point is that you can take it easy if you want, but there are ways to look deeper into music so that you understand it better and can move onto more complex and progressive styles. Looking for voices is, of course, a much more difficult exercise in later 20th-century works and sometimes quite futile. Try different tricks of your own to find meaning and music and see to how many different pieces you can apply them. Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 21
Great advice, Dan. Though I often listen to music like DarkAngel does (i.e. not "critically," simply enjoying the music and not thinking too much about it) some of the music I enjoy the most really requires you to really sit down and pay attention to it.

Experimental music is much like classical music in that at first listen, the appeal (or the purpose) of the recording might not be apparent at all. Further listening leads to further understanding which leads to further enjoyment.

Of course, this can be tough to do, since it might take you a while to "get it." But trust me - the reward once you do "get it" is worthwhile. The feeling you get as something you once considered "difficult listening" clicks into place in your brain and opens up is wonderful. Definitely worth the work.

Edit: I thought I'd add that much of the appeal of classical music (again, this also applies to experimental & electronic music) lies in subtle detail and nuance. Like Dan said, hearing and understanding these, and being able to detect differences in recordings or performances is one of the most enjoyable parts of listening.

- Chris

Jul 8, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 21
As long as you're having fun on your journey it doesn't matter how slow you go. I usually listen to music on repeat. I've been on one Chopin nocturne for like 3 days. Yes one song on repeat for 3 days straight
biggrin.gif
But throw in something different once in a while just to keep your perspective from becoming too narrow. I usually don't work, excercice, take the train with the same tunes.

Jul 8, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
I thought I'd add that much of the appeal of classical music (again, this also applies to experimental & electronic music) lies in subtle detail and nuance. Like Dan said, hearing and understanding these, and being able to detect differences in recordings or performances is one of the most enjoyable parts of listening.

I don't have enough experience with experimental music outside of classical, but this makes sense. The great thing I've found about classical is that this doesn't just have to be experimental music. There are so many layers of depth even within a three-voice fugue by Bach or a Beethoven string quartet that you can find more and more in the piece each time you listen to it. If I knew more about experimental rock and jazz perhaps I would be able to experience this stuff first-hand (I'm not exactly a fan of electronica), but maybe that's a conversation for another thread. Could you send me a PM with some recommendations, Chris?

Jul 8, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
As long as you're having fun on your journey it doesn't matter how slow you go. I usually listen to music on repeat. I've been on one Chopin nocturne for like 3 days. Yes one song on repeat for 3 days straight
biggrin.gif
But throw in something different once in a while just to keep your perspective from becoming too narrow.

I do the same thing. For the past few days Ive been listening to Mahler's 8th Symphony. For me repetition is the best way to absorb and examine a piece. I might have been misunderstood in my last post, but believe me, I don't listen to classical music for background purposes only. I will only listen to classical music when I can devote the time and attention to doing so. I used to occasionally listen when doing other tasks, but I realized that I wasn't really ever listening. The only time that I will listen when doing something else is when cutting the lawn since that is a not really a thought intensive activity. My original message was that listening should be fun. Don't try and kill yourself understanding a piece of music. If at first you can't understand a particular piece, repeat it several times. If still you are having trouble, try out another piece and come back to the troubling one in a few days. Just make sure that you are enjoying what you are doing. Happy listening.

Hiker

Jul 9, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 21
Usually when I first listen to a classical piece, I see if I enjoy it. Then if I do, I try to understand it further (by repetitive listening), which makes it more enjoyable. If I don't enjoy it or like listening to it at first, then I just don't listen to it at all.

Jul 9, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 21
Yup, I also sometimes need to "break in" a piece by hearing it on repeat at the gym. Then I know it enough to fully enjoy it when listening seriously. Some people instantly know a piece after hearing it once--wish I could do that!

Jul 9, 2003 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 21
Hi Luvya,

You know, if I had 10 hours a day totally devoted to music, and were desperate to find out the "inner working" of classical pieces, I may consider taking a short course in music theory, or even picking up an instrument -- you'll understand the music better if you allow your eyes and other senses to guide you through the music, instead of relying on just your ears.

But, if by "absorption" you mean a greater emotional attachment to the music (instead of deeper intellectual understanding), then my advice is: don't pressure yourself; pressure robs the fun out of anything, and you won't develop a genuine love of something that you force yourself onto. If a certain piece seems impenetrable, put it aside, listen to something radically different, and come back to it after a while -- it is interesting that music that had sounded "weird" on first listen makes sense after a while.

A "listening session" with zero distraction is a good idea, and there is no better distraction-free listening session than the concert hall (provided, of course, the audience is reasonably well behaved, bleeper-free and children-free). No need to seek for top performers; a reputable "local" orchestra or ensemble will do -- concerts allow yourself to immerse in the music completely, and often lead to better understanding -- and love -- for it.

Jul 9, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 21
by the way, I want to clarify...I don't just spend 10 hours sitting there listening to music and do nothing. I combine some activity also...but I pay good attention to the music.

Jul 9, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 21
I suggest spending time with both critical and "passive" listening. Expand your selections and listen to them during your passive listening. You'll probably be surprised that at certain points some things from certain pieces will jump out at you. Make a note of those things that really strike you and include that music in your critical listening time.

I understand your predicament completely. I have about 20 classical cds that I've owned for quite some time. I still don't feel like I know the music intimately, yet my recall of it is surprising. If I hear it someplace else I instanly recognize it and although I probably couldn't pull out most of my CDs and hum the opening movement, when I put something on it's like recognizing an old friend. As a matter of fact, I've recently made a deal with myself to buy more classical music on a regular basis.

Jul 10, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 21
i try to only buy stuff that's highly regarded by the other members.
biggrin.gif
(like Joshua Bell, Sibelius/Goldmark Violin Concertos).

otherwise i stick to the classics - like Gerswin, Grofe, Bolling, etc. (yeah, somewhere I've got some 15th century boroque...)

i like anything with bells and triangles. violins have to be in there as well as a good piano.

let's see, the last time I heard Peter and the Wolf....

Jul 10, 2003 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
i try to only buy stuff that's highly regarded by the other members.
biggrin.gif
(like Joshua Bell, Sibelius/Goldmark Violin Concertos).

otherwise i stick to the classics - like Gerswin, Grofe, Bolling, etc. (yeah, somewhere I've got some 15th century boroque...)

i like anything with bells and triangles. violins have to be in there as well as a good piano.

let's see, the last time I heard Peter and the Wolf....

Haha, u made me laugh
smily_headphones1.gif
I really want to get to some contemporary composers as well...but...but....the title says it all.
Btw, I didn't know Joshua Bell is highly regarded by the forum members. I think that particular recording is done with LA Phil, which is great! Because I live in LA and have attended their concert regularly
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back