I am teh cheap, can you help me?
Jun 29, 2007 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

HybVis

New Head-Fier
[edit: changed requirements]

Heya
smily_headphones1.gif
First, I'm not an audiophile, but I like nice things. My headphones are HD201s and KSC75s, both recommended here. I don't listen critically; I just like to enjoy my music sounding as good as I can afford.

I need a flash player because I will take it outside and drop it the first chance I get
tongue.gif

Bonus points for:
--good battery life
--FM radio

Cheers!
[edit: currently looking at Sony NW-E507]

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 21
Creative zen stone ( + version if you want screen)
Iriver S10
Sansa express ( expandable)

For 100 dlrs there's a lot more options but these are the smaller simple ones.

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 21
Not fussed about a screen. Won't use it to play movies, so the only advantage would be easier navigation. But that's not a huge deal.

What's the battery life on the Zen Stone like? A quick google has people complaining they get as little as 2 hours playback on it. Not so bad if I'm in the office, but not good for a day's walking. If it used AA(A) batteries I could take some spares, but it has it's own internal battery.

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 21
Argh, I knew this would happen. The more mp3 players I look at, the more features I find I want. I am a salesman's wet dream
tongue.gif

An FM radio would be sweet, I'm thinking... then you need a screen... then...!

As for the Apple refurbs, I'm in the UK, and I'm not sure those are available outside the US.

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 21
The Samsung YP-C1Z looks like it has what I'm after:

--40 hours (ish) play time on 1 AA battery
biggrin.gif

--FM radio
--USB without software or cable
--not extensible
frown.gif
but 1gig + radio should be OK.

I notice they're discontinued, however I can possibly pick one up for £20 refurb. What's the sound quality like on these? Any more recent alternatives that I should consider?

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 21
if you want Teh cheap, forget samsung, sandisk and apple, the player might be cheap at first, but the apple build quality, and the accesory prices will bring bills later on,

actually, discart automaticly ANYTHING with a costum propietary connector,

what i would go for ? meizu M6 with a pair of koss KSC75 headphones, the whole shabang should be under 120-140 bucks and you have a kickass player and headphones,

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 21
x2 on the meizu m6.

it has pretty much all that you're looking for, except expandability, but it comes in 4 and 8 gb models so theres not really much expansion needed, and you can grab one up at the local walgreens (if in us), or a bunch of other retailers.

it also has a microphone, if you wanna record, custom eq, does have fm radio

all in all its about 100 for the 4gb

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the meizu m6.

it has pretty much all that you're looking for, except expandability, but it comes in 4 and 8 gb models so theres not really much expansion needed, and you can grab one up at the local walgreens (if in us), or a bunch of other retailers.

it also has a microphone, if you wanna record, custom eq, does have fm radio

all in all its about 100 for the 4gb

x3 for the Meizu. U can get it from Walgreens for like $99.99 ... thats really cheap.

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 21
Zen products run out of battery very fast in my experience.
(Vision M, V Plus, V) And I tweak all my settings so that they are running on 10% brightness and locked when on

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 21
I had the meizu m6 and did not like it's sound... It's sound is not forgiving, a bit to digital sounding.

my old rio carbons are still the best sounding I've had... The battery is quite good (20 hours +) but I replaced it with a bigger one
wink.gif
, did the same with the zen v+ and it lasts very long now.

Jun 29, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the meizu m6 and did not like it's sound... It's sound is not forgiving, a bit to digital sounding.

my old rio carbons are still the best sounding I've had... The battery is quite good (20 hours +) but I replaced it with a bigger one
wink.gif
, did the same with the zen v+ and it lasts very long now.

what does it mean to be "too digital sounding"?

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 21
The Meizu is a lot more expensive in the UK
frown.gif
Can't get it cheaper than £75 ish - $150). Any reason not to go for the Samsung?

[edit: and those prices were for the 1 or 2 gig version
tongue.gif
4gig for $99 is an absolute bargin in comparison, but hey, I can't change where I live
tongue.gif
]

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 21
Think about the new iRiver T60 (1GB, 2GB or 4GB, with one AAA battery and FM tuner (and a small screen). I'm impressed with the sound for an AAA-powered flash player.

The iRiver T50 is only 1GB, but runs off of an AA battery and has great battery consumption ratings.

PS: The current Samsungs sound quite good, to me. Don't know about the model you mentioned, though.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back