I am soooooo confused!
Oct 10, 2007 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

swiftus

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a pair of closed headphones for my iPod (on which I listen to predominantly hip hop music). I currently have a pair of PX100 which I'm quite happy with, except for the sound leakage. I originally thought that I would get a pair of NC phones (the ATH-ANC7 + RP-HC500 in particular), but am wondering whether the noise cancelling would be effective on underground trains in London (they're normally all aimed at the flying crowd). My budget is around £100 (about $200). I want a pair that don't look too big, and great sound quality, of course.

I have seen the ATH-ES7, and am thinking these are the ones to get.

What do you guys recommend?

EDIT: I really don't like IEM's (even though it makes sense that they are most suitable for this).

EDIT 2: Any thoughts on the Denon D1000's?

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 50
In ear's have a number of advantages, the biggest being superior sound isolation - which makes everything else much easier.

I'd recommend a pair of Etymotic ER6i's.

If you have to have closed, the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's are well regarded and are supposed to have great isolation. You can buy them for as little as £65 + shipping ( http://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_...rtner_id=59917 ).

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 50
I Believe he said he is not interested in IEMs.

OP, Check out the RP-21, they're not as portable as the ES7 but I hear great stuff about them [I might buy them soon too for portability with a MP3 player].

Either way, Before buying anything hear it first in store, or make sure you can return them if you are not satisfied
smily_headphones1.gif

-Jo

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 50
I own the ES7's and love them. Normally I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone but your situation might be the exception. I don't know how noisy an underground train is, but I wear mine daily in an office that is a fairly quiet surrounding. Even through an amplifier at a fairly significant volume level, I can here my phone ring or pages over my speakerphone. These may not have enough isolation for you. You probably would want circumaural (ES7's are supraural). Have never heard the ANC7's, but if they are anything like the ES7's they might be worth doing a search of posts on the forum. Hope this helped.

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 50
I have some ER-6i which I have used on the subway in Chicago. Actually most of the train system is above ground but some of it is underground.

Underground it gets really loud, especially if two trains are arriving/departing on both sides of the platform. In these instances, it is still loud noise for me. I don't know if I am not getting as good a seal as others (I use the tri-flange), and I have sometimes wondered whether noise-cancelling phones would be as good or better; but shoot, that kind of noise level is excessive. Overall, though, I am certainly glad I have these instead of using the stock buds.

I tried some Bose noise-cancelling phones at an orchestra concert once in the lobby at intermissionand and I was impressed with that level of isolation, but I suspect there is a magnitude of difference between a noisy room and a noisy train platform.

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahamric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some ER-6i which I have used on the subway in Chicago. Actually most of the train system is above ground but some of it is underground.

Underground it gets really loud, especially if two trains are arriving/departing on both sides of the platform. In these instances, it is still loud noise for me. I don't know if I am not getting as good a seal as others (I use the tri-flange), and I have sometimes wondered whether noise-cancelling phones would be as good or better; but shoot, that kind of noise level is excessive. Overall, though, I am certainly glad I have these instead of using the stock buds.

I tried some Bose noise-cancelling phones at an orchestra concert once in the lobby at intermissionand and I was impressed with that level of isolation, but I suspect there is a magnitude of difference between a noisy room and a noisy train platform.

No IEM...

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 50
Just to throw some help, I've read the ANC7 has almost the same sound signature of the ES7 + active sound canceling mechanism, however I still suggest you to check out the RP-21.

-Jo

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 50
Do a search here on head-fi for info on the Senhheiser HD25 (not the SP version) . Terrific isolation (even on the tube) , damn good SQ , unobtrusive , durable..etc..etc...... Can be had for just over £100 if you look around...and you can test 'em out in any number of shops along the Tottenham Court Road.

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 50
NC is going to work, but not that well, and it won't sound too good either especially at your budget. So don't expect a NC headphone to sound better than your PX100 at $200.

On the other hand, $200 IEMs will definitely isolate noise more AND sound much better than the PX100.

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ranz_blacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rp-21 are such sweet sounding headphones.. only if they looked a little different
frown.gif

Thats a matter of taste mate....

oh and I didn't think about it - but the HD-25-1-II are also a very good option for the OP! hehe..

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 50
"You probably would want circumaural (ES7's are supraural)."

Keep in mind that circumaurals surround the ear (by definition) and would therefore be physically larger, if more comfortably isolating; supraurals have smaller ear cups, so therefore have to clamp against the ears to achieve a level of isolation (might not be all that uncomfortable for the duration of a commute, but something to consider).

In short, if you truly don't want in-ears, and you don't want to pay a certain amount, and you don't want active noise cancellation, but you want at least a decent amount of passive noise cancellation, then look into the (circumaural) Sennheiser HD 280 or (supraural) Sennheiser HD-25-1-II or HD-25, or maybe the (circumaural) Sony V6. Also, the portable, good-looking (and supraural) AKG K81DJ's might be good for your music preference, if you don't mind the clamping.

Good hunting ...

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 50
The beyer DT770s are great for hip hop, alot of bass, plus they are natively terminated to 1/8th. I think thats your best bet, they're big, but not too big, insanely comfortable, good sound insulation and no one can hear you no matter how loud you play your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back