I am so ****ing mad!
Apr 12, 2006 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Gouki

Head-Fier
Last year I got banned from a digital camera forum of all things.

What got me pissed off was the cowardly replies to the particular thread after I was banned (and thus could not reply). Why was I banned? because I did not agree to their judgement of a stupid photo.

I know I don't post much here but damn I just want to rant, rant and rant some more.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0
Last year? You need to move on with your life.

I'd have to agree, getting upset over something so trivial is one thing. Getting upset and staying that way for a year is down right disturbing.

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 27
I understand about moving on, I would be the first to advice anyone to do so.

Its just that I only started to get back on the net after the death of my brother (late last year). Just reading the comments that were directed towards me, the unfair "dismissal" and ******** antics that goes on on that site was too much for me to ignore. I wanted to share because I want to know if I'm wrong, taking it too seriously or that I have a right to voice my concerns over this form of internet bullying.

I got banned because I didn't agree with a photo that was judged photo of the week. My main concern was the abuse in power of which the moderators/admins had over the issue. I am an admin/mod of a site myself so I understand the responsibilities involved in managing users and a website. This, however, was too much. I've had my head down for so long and I'm just trying to pick it up. With this, I'm going to fight it. I'm not asking for money, compensation or what. Just a formal apology and people to witness that. Ever heard of the little consumer who battles the ebay cheat and won, well, I'm going to give it my best shot.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 27
...on a forum I don't really care to name. I expressed a negative opinion, well-founded too, on one of our society's semi-sacred cows. Banned within seconds!! Lesson: there's just no use getting angry over ignorant people who have let a little power go to their heads. Get over it. Get on with your life. It was just a photo. They are just idiots. You're better than that.

Laz

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouki
I understand about moving on, I would be the first to advice anyone to do so.

Its just that I only started to get back on the net after the death of my brother (late last year). Just reading the comments that were directed towards me, the unfair "dismissal" and ******** antics that goes on on that site was too much for me to ignore. I wanted to share because I want to know if I'm wrong, taking it too seriously or that I have a right to voice my concerns over this form of internet bullying.

I got banned because I didn't agree with a photo that was judged photo of the week. My main concern was the abuse in power of which the moderators/admins had over the issue. I am an admin/mod of a site myself so I understand the responsibilities involved in managing users and a website. This, however, was too much. I've had my head down for so long and I'm just trying to pick it up. With this, I'm going to fight it. I'm not asking for money, compensation or what. Just a formal apology and people to witness that. Ever heard of the little consumer who battles the ebay cheat and won, well, I'm going to give it my best shot.

Just call up the admins or email them to explain. They can't be that stubborn.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 27
What do you mean by calling up the admins?

They are the problem.

They went as far as banning me as a guest to view their site. I am an admin and I would never go that far unless someone posts degrading pictures or are stalking someone.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 27
What site was this, and where can I check out the comments? I did the whole art school thing, I'm no stranger to constructive crits and I'm definitely curious as to what was said.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 27
Add me to the club.
After Years on the internet. My first ban.
Then I read their FAQ on bans, If this site worded their policy like that,
then I'm glad that site is off my browse list.
I'm also glad this un-named site is getting sued, looks like it's going to be a nice battle.
Anyway, forget it, Get thee to the International Meet and see how great people are in real life.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 27
Why would you want to be a part of a community that does not allow you to speak your mind?

Move on. You are in better hands here.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short
...on a forum I don't really care to name. I expressed a negative opinion, well-founded too, on one of our society's semi-sacred cows. Banned within seconds!! Lesson: there's just no use getting angry over ignorant people who have let a little power go to their heads. Get over it. Get on with your life. It was just a photo. They are just idiots. You're better than that.

Laz

Laz, what kind of forum was that? Who can ban the quickest?

Some admins/mods need a reminder that it is the users that makes up their otherwise ghost town forums. Without the users there is no life.

Head-fi, thankfully, is nothing like that and is the best headphone site I've ever had the pleasure of being part of. In fact, I can't remember any mods/admins stepping in to ban someone. That is because people are enthusiasts and they can agree to disagree.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouki
Laz, what kind of forum was that? Who can ban the quickest?

Some admins/mods need a reminder that it is the users that makes up their otherwise ghost town forums. Without the users there is no life.

Head-fi, thankfully, is nothing like that and is the best headphone site I've ever had the pleasure of being part of. In fact, I can't remember any mods/admins stepping in to ban someone. That is because people are enthusiasts and they can agree to disagree.

It happens, but it's usually completely fair and very well thought out. No split second judgements, always considered from every angle. The mods here really are some of the best.

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Sadly, mods of many forums are pretty self-centered and unfair. They can ruin a good place for almost everyone but their own friends, whom they allow to bend the rules. And yeah, most of these holes are barren. Mods don't want anyone interesting who'd attract members, because then they'd gain power, and take support away from an already disliked administration. Or, sometimes the people in power just are attention-addicts that *need* to be the hub of all that is.

Also, do realize that many internet folk are pathetic losers who'd never say anything to you in real life. Cause you'd whoop their arse. And light em on fire. Twice.

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 27
Serenity NOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back