I am so frakin confused
Jul 24, 2009 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

specto

100+ Head-Fier
So, I like head-fi because the people on the forums are generally nice people, but there is WAY too much "I love these" "I hate these", I really want some headphones that sound decent, and as a noob with little money, reading these forums confuse the crap out of me. I like Bass so I thought Beyers, but than some people say those are crap sounding, and I don't like my crap sounding iems, some people say Grados are amazing, others say they are too shrill, OMG I'm so confused and I need help, please don't tell me to search the forums, it's not helping!
ph34r.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 43
Well you might get some help if you post the following:
1. Budget
2. Preference for Closed or Open
3. What type of music you listen to
4. Source (will it be the phones powered by an amp or will they be plugged straight into an ipod)
5. Preference for Supra-aural or Circumaural

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 43
Generally people will only suggest the phones they have because it's all they've heard and it makes sense. You have to wade through the masses of information available and decide for yourself what sort of sound it is your looking for. Generally you hear Grados are good for rock, Ultrasones for electronica and so on, base your listening preferences around that.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fldrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you might get some help if you post the following:
1. Budget
2. Preference for Closed or Open
3. What type of music you listen to
4. Source (will it be the phones powered by an amp or will they be plugged straight into an ipod)
5. Preference for Supra-aural or Circumaural

1. Budget, I'd say around $250 for my first pair max, probably used.
2. Closed unless the general opinion is that sound leaks just as much with closed as open.
3. Erm, heh, Some Classical, Electronic, dnb (pendulum!), dance(Benny Bennasi), rock (system of a down), I generally like hearing bass though, but I want fast clean bass, not the muddiness that is my current iems
4. Source is going to be a sansa fuze with a fiio e5 or a cmoybb
5. Probably Circumaural, but I am willing to try almost anything.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 43
Headphones being good or bad is all about taste. Like for example: i love Vanilla icecream with strawberry chunks, to you that might be crap, same for headphones.
Some love their phones with solid state amps, some with tube amps, some say no amp does anything to sound...some think their AKG K701 has bass.....
Any headphone you have, if you use them and kick back with some good music, likely you will start to enjoy them....

Based on budget, you may "rent" headphones. Buy something, try it, and sell it when something else comes along, the difference between what you bought and what you sell it for is your rental fee.

I bought AD700 and later D1001 to get an idea of what kind of sound i like open vs closed. based on that experience i bought some HD600, but from time to time i have my D1001 on the tube amp and go "Why did i buy the HD600 again? This sounds great?" of course, once i plug the HD600 back in to listen to music, i remember why, it doesn't really make the D1001+LD combo sound bad, just different, and it mostly comes down to open vs closed to me. Preferring open phones..

With all the reviews contradicting each other, look for personal taste comments, what they say they like and dislike, then the comments start to become "relatable".

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 43
One thing i believe is, listen to those who know a few different phones, and read their reviews, cross referencing them.
Stay away from those owning 30+ headphones and thinking they can still differentiate and properly compare each and every one of them.
The differences in audio are often so subtle, the more things you compare at once, the harder it will be to find the differences.
A/B is easy, maybe B/C is easy, but what did A/C sound like? ok do that test, ok what about A/D, B/D, C/D comparison, now do try to not forget A/B and B/C and.....you get my drift (i hope
wink.gif
)

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

One thing i believe is, listen to those who know a few different phones, and read their reviews, cross referencing them.
Stay away from those owning 30+ headphones and thinking they can still differentiate and properly compare each and every one of them.
The differences in audio are often so subtle, the more things you compare at once, the harder it will be to find the differences.
A/B is easy, maybe B/C is easy, but what did A/C sound like? ok do that test, ok what about A/D, B/D, C/D comparison, now do try to not forget A/B and B/C and.....you get my drift (i hope )

Makes sense, it's still confusing though especially since I love so many different genres and have so little money
frown.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 43
Don't worry, you'll end up owning more than one pair if you hang around.

Pick something that you like the looks of, and seems to work for reviewers for the type of music you listen to most of the time.

As somebody said, you can always sell them on and try some different ones for relatively small costs.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by specto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Budget, I'd say around $250 for my first pair max, probably used.
2. Closed unless the general opinion is that sound leaks just as much with closed as open.
3. Erm, heh, Some Classical, Electronic, dnb (pendulum!), dance(Benny Bennasi), rock (system of a down), I generally like hearing bass though, but I want fast clean bass, not the muddiness that is my current iems
4. Source is going to be a sansa fuze with a fiio e5 or a cmoybb
5. Probably Circumaural, but I am willing to try almost anything.

You probably want to look into Denon AH-D2000, Beyer DT770, Ultrasone, and maybe the Shure SRH840.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fldrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably want to look into Denon AH-D2000, Beyer DT770, Ultrasone, and maybe the Shure SRH840.

Denon AH-D2000's look like they might do the trick, anyone try these with artists like pendulum?

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! Slam sounds phenomenal when hooked up to a decent amp, very low, deep bass.

Hrm, would a cmoybb be powerful enough to drive this?

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by specto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrm, would a cmoybb be powerful enough to drive this?

No chance, you might get a decent listening volume out of it but none of that quality sub-woofer bass that you so desire. Just to give you an idea of those cans I suggested; The bass in Pendulums Slam gets so low it sounds like that bass that reverberates around the room when there is a truck outside.. if you know what I mean..

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

No chance, you might get a decent listening volume out of it but none of that quality sub-woofer bass that you so desire. Just to give you an idea of those cans I suggested; The bass in Pendulums Slam gets so low it sounds like that bass that reverberates around the room when there is a truck outside.. if you know what I mean..

I believe you, lol, I just want pretty good sound, I don't really want to gradually go from the HA-RX700's, and than the Denon AH-D2000 if they're better, especially since they're both under my price point. What is a decent cheap amp I could use to drive these than?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back