I am new to Head-Fi and looking for a recommendation.
Aug 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

charger35

New Head-Fier
I am in college and looking to upgrade my current headphones.  I want something with great overall sound quality but with an emphasis on the bass.  I listen mostly to hip/hop, rap, and rock.  I need something durable and somewhat stylish, but portability doesn't matter.  I have done significant research and have narrowed it down to several companies.  Here is what I am considering:

Audio Technica Ath-m50
Ultrasone hfi 580 or 780
Ultrasone pro 550
Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro
V-moda Crossfade M-80 or Crossfade LP

Any recommendations or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Audio Technica Ath-m50
Ultrasone hfi 580 or 780
Ultrasone pro 550
Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro
V-moda Crossfade M-80 or Crossfade LP

I don't have any personal experience with the models you listed, but have you already ruled out the Pioneer SE-MJ751?

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 10
www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/

This is probably as much of a help as I can be. In regards to the Ultrasones, there have been many complaints of discomfort - clamping too hard and what not. Take that into consideration if you plan on using it for long hours. And I've been told the ATH M50s have a V-shaped response, meaning the mids are recessed but the bass/treble are good.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 10
Have you considered the Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm as they are bass monsters but still have great mids and highs :darthsmile:

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
No, I really haven't completely ruled out any brands.  If you think there is a particular model within a brand that is very good, I am very open to it. Thanks.

Okay, well then I would definitely consider the Pioneer SE-MJ751.  It employs a dual-driver system (two drivers per channel).  So, you'll have one full-range driver like any other pair of headphones.  But you'll also have access to an extra driver just for bass.  As a result you tend to get un-recessed and undistorted mids to go along with your bass and highs.  And, the bass you get from those additional drivers is NOT to be underestimated.  Fairly significant in quantity, but also clear and free of bloat.  All around, it's a very impressive little unit.

And for the record, I've heard very good things about both the ATH-M50 and the HFI 580 in terms of being great for Hip Hop, but as I don't have them I can't personally recommend them.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 10
As far as the Pioneers, I really had never heard of them but I will look into them.

I have heard good things about the Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones, but the price is higher than the models I was looking at and I don't particularly like the appearance.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 10
I think the Hfi 580 or 780 will work well for you. Stylish, foldable, driven very well with a portable player, and great sound signatures. The 580 will have more bass, and the 780 will be more rounded but still have a very solid low end. 

I'd steer clear of the Pro 550. I returned those for the 780. They are massive and don't isolate as well, and to me the HFI-780 sounded better. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 10
What about the sony mdr zx700. Or the shure srh440. They are alot more discrete than the beyers
Take alook see what you :darthsmile:

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
As far as the Pioneers, I really had never heard of them but I will look into them.

TBH, Pioneers don't exactly get a lot of play here.  And some of their models are less than stellar if you know what I mean.  But the MJ751 is a standout - and for what you outlined (great overall sound quality, emphasis on bass, hip/hop, rap, rock, durable, and somewhat stylish), one could do far worse.

EDIT:  Oh I forgot to mention, the MJ751 has a bass control dial that engages/disengages that secondary bass driver - so you control how much bass you get in real-time.  Nifty, and more useful than one might think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back