I am new to digital photography and looking for tips on a good camera to purchase
May 5, 2006 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

MrEcted1

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am really wanting to purchase a high quality digital camera. I have always loved photography but never been able to afford anything nice at all. What would you say is the absolute best purchase I can make for less then $1000.00. I'm really looking in the $500.00 to $800.00 range if possible.

So far i've been looking at the Canon Digital Rebel XT and the Canon 10D. I've heard nothing but praises for the 20D, but I just can't spend that much cash, besides although i've taken thousands of pix with cheap-o camera's, i'm totally new to Digital SLR cameras, so I don't want to start with something that I probably will not know how to take full advantage of anyways.

Help is greatly appreciated!

May 5, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 31
The Rebel XT is a great camera and the Nikon D50 is right in it's alley.
I would recommend you getting one of those two because you will crave for more if you get a non-DSLR
A great site for reviews: http://www.dpreview.com

May 5, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 31
Got the XT. I don't consider myself good enough to splurge for one of the more expensive ones. I do have a couple of L lenses. The kit lens with the XT is so-so.

May 5, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 31
The cameras I would recommend are:

Canon Digital Rebel XT
Nikon D50
Nikon D70s

Only buy a body/memory so you can buy the lens elsewhere. The kit lens is pretty much crap.

For starters, I recommend getting the Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Its an extremely good budget lens and is the best choice for a beggining photographer.

May 5, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEcted1
What's a good all-around lense to get if I decide on the XT? (and about how much $$$ would it cost)

17-40L. The Tamrons are pretty good. Here's a forum I belong to that has a pretty good section on lenses. Don't be that concerned with lenses just yet. Learn how to shoot in Manual and learn the camera first. Remember... it's too expensive to be just a point and shoot.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

May 5, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 31
The 10D is a great camera. I used one for a few years and it really served me well, with zero problems. I agree that the 17-40 L is a good all round lens for it, giving you about a 28-70mm equivalent zoom range. I used an old 20-35/2.8 L on mine and it often seemed too long. I've read good things about the Tamron mentioned as well, but on the 10D or XT it'll give you 45mm at the short end, which isn't wide at all. I guess it depends on what focal lengths you find yourself shooting at.
You're doing the right thing by getting a used camera and letting someone else eat the majority of the depreciation. If you're comfortable buying online from someone you don't know, you could check out the buy and sell forum at www.fredmiranda.com. Seems to be a pretty decent, tight-knit group over there. Good luck!

May 5, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
The cameras I would recommend are:

Canon Digital Rebel XT
Nikon D50
Nikon D70s

Only buy a body/memory so you can buy the lens elsewhere. The kit lens is pretty much crap.

For starters, I recommend getting the Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Its an extremely good budget lens and is the best choice for a beggining photographer.

Wow, a budget lense that's $400.00... what am I getting myself into?
eek.gif

May 5, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

eek.gif

LOL
It ain't the cost of the camera that kills you. It's the lenses.
I'm fairly new at photography myself, so my experience is limited. I like the Canon EF S 17-85 IS lens that came with my 20D. I didn't think I would want such a wide angle lens. It turns out that I use it at it's widest more often than not. I was a zoom guy with my previous point and shoot digitals.

For a camera, you can't go wrong with a Canon or a Nikon.

May 5, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

eek.gif

I highly recommend the L lenses. Better optics and focus super fast.

If you think $400 is bad I'm looking at a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. That's getting into about $1400 and up. L Lenses are bad for your wallet!

If you do go with a Canon make sure to pick up the nifty 50mm. You can usually get it for under $100.

May 5, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 31
i actually like the D50 over the rebel as far as budget SLRs go...the kit lens with the D50 is better than the kit lens that comes with the rebel, IMO.

May 5, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 31
My uncle has a D50 and I just asked my parents for one for my birthday in late May
smily_headphones1.gif

My uncle is an amateur, but he's really gotten into it. Several of his pics have made it on TV in Chicago. One of the news stations there lets people submit photos, and he's made it on twice. He's been buying books and going on forums like crazy, I'm really impressed and proud of him.

D50 is a great cam, seems less bulky than the Canon too. Also you can get one with a lens for $700. It may be a crappy lens by photo-geek standards but it'll be 10x better than anything you've ever used before in the point and shoot world. If you start to really get into it then upgrade, that's my advice. I think it'll be plenty good for my occasional photographic urges though. I'd like a long telephoto/zoom lens but realistically if I had one I'd never use the cam since it'd be such a hassle to carry that big ass thing around.

--Illah

May 5, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 31
A good lense allows faster speed and has less optical distortion. Usually almost all lenses that come with the camera have zoom and variable focal ratio. One of the reasons that Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD is more expensive is that it's a zoom lense with a fixed focal ratio. And if you look at zoom lenses that costs in the thousands, I bet ones with fixed focal ratio tend to be more expensive. It's like in audio, a volume knob made of steps attentuation is better than a variable one (not the best example but I hope you get the idea)

If you really want the best image quality, a non-zoom lense should provide better image quality compare to zoom (at least that's the old view, I don't know how today's technology has involved), but even for amatures, a standard 50mm lense is good to have. Nonetheless a zoom lens has the convienence that you want. I was talking about those professional photographers working for National Geographics or Sports Illustrated to make the living, those are the people who already possess greating skills and they sometimes want the best lense they can find.

May 5, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 31
I have a 20D and I love it. Maybe you should look around for a used body since now that the new 30D is out there might be many people giving them away for $800. I can bet you that the build quality of it is much better than XT or D70, D50. Also low light performance is much better as well. Dont cheap on the body cause it will be something you will carry around for a while. You do realise that since you are buying such a good camera you need to use good lenses with it. Try getting a nice all around lense for starters and see which side you are using the most (wide, tele). Then get a nice prime lense.

May 5, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
I have a 20D and I love it. Maybe you should look around for a used body since now that the new 30D is out there might be many people giving them away for $800. I can bet you that the build quality of it is much better than XT or D70, D50. Also low light performance is much better as well. Dont cheap on the body cause it will be something you will carry around for a while. You do realise that since you are buying such a good camera you need to use good lenses with it. Try getting a nice all around lense for starters and see which side you are using the most (wide, tele). Then get a nice prime lense.

Excellent advice.

I have the Canon 20D also, and I love mine. I got mine with the "upgrade" lens of 17-85 EF S IS. A lot better lens than the standard kit. I have since purchased a Canon 100 mm f2.8 macro, and a 70-300 image stabilizing lens for it. Plus lens hoods and filters. It's getting expensive.
tongue.gif

I have only had the 70-300 for a couple days so haven't had a chance to see what it will do, but that 100 mm macro is awesome. I can't believe the clarity I can get with it.
Keep in mind the conversion factor if you get a DSLR with a smaller than full frame sensor. My 20D is 1.6 or so. So my 100 mm lens acts like a 160mm. Great on tele lenses but you gotta buy super wide to get just a wide angle lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back