I am moving away from gaming headsets...help please.
Nov 26, 2014 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Stiles22

New Head-Fier
Tired of the shoddy quality that "gaming" gear provides. Am looking for alternatives under 270$ please. Am overwhelmed with all of the choices out there. I have read many threads here but I thought I would create my own with my own personal wishes.

Will attach a Modmic if I need a mic or just use an existing headset with mic if I need mic functionality on an as needed basis.

Here are some of the qualities I am looking for:

-Open design. Need to be able to hear around me at times. I do not care about sound leakage.
-Detachable cable (durability, peace of mind).
-Over the ear.
-I need some base. Nothing overwhelming but I would like it to be present.
-Comfortable. May prefer a velour cup over a leather/pleather. Bonus if I can switch them out.
-Do not care if they aren't portable. They will be staying at or near the computer.
-I do not wear glasses. They do not have to be "glasses friendly"

They will not be limited to just gaming, I actually watch movies and listen to music with them more than I game with.

Random playlist has music from the following artists: 2pac, Beastie Boys, Bob Dylan, ACDC, Eminem, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Lenny Kravitz, Nas, Nirvana, Talib Kweli, Prince, Public Enemy, The Doors, Eurythmics, REM.

That list may imply I am wishing for a silly amount of base but that is not really the case. I have had the (un)pleasure of hearing a lot of these tunes on those Beats by Dre headphones and it was ridiculously bad. They were a friends so I did not have the misfortune of wasting my money. I would like my base to be present but not overwhelming/distorted.

I own an Asus Xonar DGX sound card with a built in amplifier. Should be able to handle all but insane impedances. If I end up needing an amp I will purchase it later.

Thank you kindly for any helpful suggestions that anyone may be able to provide!!  :)   

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 5
  Tired of the shoddy quality that "gaming" gear provides. Am looking for alternatives under 270$ please. Am overwhelmed with all of the choices out there. I have read many threads here but I thought I would create my own with my own personal wishes.

Will attach a Modmic if I need a mic or just use an existing headset with mic if I need mic functionality on an as needed basis.

Here are some of the qualities I am looking for:

-Open design. Need to be able to hear around me at times. I do not care about sound leakage.
-Detachable cable (durability, peace of mind).
-Over the ear.
-I need some base. Nothing overwhelming but I would like it to be present.
-Comfortable. May prefer a velour cup over a leather/pleather. Bonus if I can switch them out.
-Do not care if they aren't portable. They will be staying at or near the computer.
-I do not wear glasses. They do not have to be "glasses friendly"

They will not be limited to just gaming, I actually watch movies and listen to music with them more than I game with.

Random playlist has music from the following artists: 2pac, Beastie Boys, Bob Dylan, ACDC, Eminem, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Lenny Kravitz, Nas, Nirvana, Talib Kweli, Prince, Public Enemy, The Doors, Eurythmics, REM.

That list may imply I am wishing for a silly amount of base but that is not really the case. I have had the (un)pleasure of hearing a lot of these tunes on those Beats by Dre headphones and it was ridiculously bad. They were a friends so I did not have the misfortune of wasting my money. I would like my base to be present but not overwhelming/distorted.

I own an Asus Xonar DGX sound card with a built in amplifier. Should be able to handle all but insane impedances. If I end up needing an amp I will purchase it later.

Thank you kindly for any helpful suggestions that anyone may be able to provide!!  :)   

Any headphones you have tried and liked?
Are you currently in the US?

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 5
The hp200 is pretty highly praised on this forum. Its probably one of the safer options because its a warm all rounder.
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2013/05/soundmagic-hp200-review.html?m=1
A step up in bass quantity would probably be the phillips fidelio x1

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks zunehdrocks!!

I notice those are Chinese...really hesitant about those. Seems like a lot of plastic used as well. Proprietary locking cable while technically detachable still has me wary. These probably sound great but I do not think these are for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back