I am making the good choice? (senn momentum)
Nov 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Senes

Head-Fier
Hi guys !

I'm thinking on buying a brand new headphone to replace my old bad and not comfortable Marshall Major (I know that I should not have bought it...)

So I have a budget of around 200€ I think, for the headphone only

It will be used nomadly but I since I have no better headphone at home (Marshall major/Qpad QH-85..) I will use it at home too since I can't affort a real sedentary one
frown.gif

I want something comfortable and isolating  (even if at home I don't care about isolation)
I'm listening mostly rock but i like others kind of music too
I'm not an addict of treble and I hate sibilance (these ******* SSSSSS on my marshal GOD
mad.gif
)

To begin I will use it with my smartphone (galaxy note 1); mostly FLACs (even if the smartphone shrank them), but when I get the money I will buy something better

SO!

I am targetting the Sennheiser Momentum for 210€
I already tried it (with lumia 520 +mp3
tongue.gif
) and I really liked it, it was way less draft than my actual marshall major (even if it's hardly comparable)
At the same time I tried the on ear version but it did not feel the same
I tried also an Focal Spirit One that I  disliked. Can't describe it
frown.gif

I saw fidelio L1 wich seems to be good too and cheaper but it isolates nothing...

Is it a good choice?
Is he playing in the same range of quality than a sedentary one like... let's say... K701? (even if it's not the same kind of sound)
Which one/combinaison of these should I take later?
DAPs, DAC portable, AMPs portable...

And if it's a combinaison, wich one should i take first?
The momentum is "warn" no? So I should take something "warm" too like fiio's products?
What range of price should I go?

Example:
Fiio X1 + Fiio E11K later ? ?

Well, I think i say it all, sorry for my possibly strange english (frenchie
cool.gif
)

Thanks you in advance
L3000.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 21
I like the Momentum Over-Ear - I think it sounds great - warm, smooth and very pleasing. However, some consider it "boring" because it isn't V-Shaped or a bass-boomer.

Some people have trouble with the smaller ear-cups - but that really didn't bother me.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 21
I don't think the smaller ear-cups would be problematic with me
wink.gif

Well, this boring feeling can't be attenuated by a DAP/dac/amp whatever ?

Or even the equalizer?

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 21
I like the Momentum quite a bit. I like it better than the K701 for what its worth, it sounds more natural to me. And since you already tried it and had no fit issues, then yes its a good choice. The Momentum rocks

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 21
I tried it for like 10 minutes so I can't be sure ... But for what I saw it seems to be fine :)

So Sennheiser Momentum!
Thanks you two for yours answers
biggrin.gif

Well, now for the source please
smile.gif
?
 Which one/combinaison of these should I take later? DAPs, DAC portable, AMPs portable...

And if it's a combinaison, wich one should i take first?
The momentum is "warn" no? So I should take something "warm" too like fiio's products?
What range of price should I go?

Example:
Fiio X1 + Fiio E11K later ? ?

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 21
Momemtums are pretty easy headphones - they will sound fine from your phone without an amp. Any decent DAC/Amp for your PC will also work fine - Fiio, Schiit Magni/Modi, etc.

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 21
I have nothing for my computer besides the integrated DAC of my Gigabyte Z77 D3H

So I don't need anything, neither a DAP?

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 21
Ok thanks you

I know that i don't "need" but if it's better....

So no DAP, it makes economy
beerchug.gif

So, the dac/amp for like 60/70€ i have from Fiio the E11K, E11, E10 (not  nomad no?)

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 21
The E11, E11K & E12 are portable amps only - no DAC. The E10K is a DAC/Amp that is USB powered - no battery. If you want to use it portable with your phone AND also a DAC for at home with your PC, then I suggest E17.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 21
E17 is twice the price of the others one in France, is it normal?

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 21
Thanks you a lot for all of your advices :D

So Smartphone > E17 > Senn momentum or Computer > E17 > Senn momentum

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 21
The momentums do not technically require an amp, and honestly probably won't scale up that much with additional power. you can get a dac if you like. depending on your smartphone though, you may not really even notice that big of a difference. definitely stick to budget $100ish or less dac only or amp/dac combos.

Momentum over-ears are good for their current sale price of $199, but I would definitely not pay $300-$350 for them. Comfort can be a serious issue too. After 30 minutes to an hour of wear, the on-ear fit gets bothersome. Depends on the user how tolerable this is. The momentum over-ears wouldn't be my first choice of a closed portable headphone in the $200-$300 range, but they do have excellent sound quality & great build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back