I am looking for some good headphones for movies. With strong bass.
Aug 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AudioGurl

New Head-Fier
My budget for my movie headphones is $500. These will also be for my dad and he loves watching loud and bassy IMAX movies.  I want to give him a nice sound experience at home.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
My budget for my movie headphones is $500. These will also be for my dad and he loves watching loud and bassy IMAX movies.  I want to give him a nice sound experience at home.

I don't really have a recommendation at your price point, but I will say that I fully support this excellent gesture on your part to hook up your dad. I have really started to use my headphones much more often for movies as of late and it's a really fun experience. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 6
+1 for the Beyer DT990 Pro, preferably the 250 or 600 ohm paired with a nice hp amp.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Having owned two DT990/600, one DT990 Pro 250, and currently owning the DT990/32, I can easily recommend the DT990/32 as well. Despite the usual "the higher ohms are better" nonsense, the 32ohm is not only easier to drive, but they have a warmer tone than the 600ohm (IMHO), which I find I also find less grating on the top end. The 600ohm is clearer by a bit (I'd say the DT990/32 is 95% the 600ohm), more control in the bass, making it less prominent, which in turn makes the treble slightly hotter, IMHO. I find the DT990/32 to be the easiest on the ears in terms of treble, despite what Zombie has said about the 600ohms having the smoothest treble.

He said that, yet agreed with me that the DT990 Pro had easier treble on the ears than the DT990/600 due to more bass taking the edge off, so his opinion on the treble isn't exactly understandable for me.

No mistake, the 600ohm is the better version technically, yet I find the DT990/32 better for me personally because it's easier on the ears, slightly warmer, yet nearly as good.

I scored mine used (like new) for $197, and I feel it's better than the DT990 Pro, due to the bass not being as overpowering, but still plenty powerful.

I prefer the DT990/32 over the Pro 900. That's how good I think they are.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Idk why, but whenever I try to recommend something, Mal over here says exactly what I was going to recommend before I get the chance to even say anything... Anywho, X2 on his recommendations, especially the Pro900. I've heard the Senn HD598 being very good with movies, but it might be lacking in the bass area. Personally, I enjoy watching movies with my Etymotic ER4S because it gives me a very realistic presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back