I am looking for a pair of quality headphones and potentially a DAC/amp for mainly instrumental/alternative music.
May 11, 2014 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

matingMD

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am new to high quality audio equipment and would greatly appreciate the input of this community.

I have read through several threads discussing the importance of both a pair of high quality headphones and implementing a DAC/amp to supplement the headphones.  I received a pair of Bose QC2's as a birthday gift over 6 years ago and have continued to enjoy their audio performance.  However, they are starting to live up to their age making it the time to start the pursuit of a replacement.  I am now older and more conscious about the equipment that I buy and have decided it would be beneficial to tap into the resources of this community.

I am looking to use these headphones for music (mainly soundtracks such as The Hobbit, The Last Samurai, various classical pieces, Yiruma, and alternative music such as Zach Williams, Jon Foreman, and Angels and Airwaves), the occasional cinematic viewing and NHL/MLB radio broadcastings. This would be used in my private room on my MacBook Pro, 15-inch, mid 2010.

I am looking at a price point of $250.00 for headphones and $150.00 for the DAC/amp (if one is recommended for my needs).  

I would be glad to answer any further questions for clarification.

Thank you all for any future input.

May 12, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 4
Yulong U100 for 179$ before shipment
http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Yulong-U100-headphone-amp.html
http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-recommendation-the-yulong-u100-usb-dac/

that leaves you ~200$ for a headphone
the AKG Q701 comes to mind... it has a huge sound-stage (great for sound-tracks), and is very refined. it is one of the mid-fi triumvirate.

May 12, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 4
  Hello, I am new to high quality audio equipment and would greatly appreciate the input of this community.
I have read through several threads discussing the importance of both a pair of high quality headphones and implementing a DAC/amp to supplement the headphones.  I received a pair of Bose QC2's as a birthday gift over 6 years ago and have continued to enjoy their audio performance.  However, they are starting to live up to their age making it the time to start the pursuit of a replacement.  I am now older and more conscious about the equipment that I buy and have decided it would be beneficial to tap into the resources of this community.
I am looking to use these headphones for music (mainly soundtracks such as The Hobbit, The Last Samurai, various classical pieces, Yiruma, and alternative music such as Zach Williams, Jon Foreman, and Angels and Airwaves), the occasional cinematic viewing and NHL/MLB radio broadcastings. This would be used in my private room on my MacBook Pro, 15-inch, mid 2010.
I am looking at a price point of $250.00 for headphones and $150.00 for the DAC/amp (if one is recommended for my needs). 

Audio Technica ATH-A900X (closed) headphones or ATH-AD900X (open) headphones.
Prices for both is well under $200, maybe even used for under $150.
Will work fine plugged straight into your Macbook Pro, so external DAC/Amp is optional (preferred, but optional).
FiiO E17, external DAC/Amp would work well with both Mac and AD900X or A900X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back