I am looking for a open over ear headphone below 400. I am not a basehead. I care vocal, mid and high.
Jan 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 8
Many, many options for you here - many more than I have personally heard.

Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs have excellent mids, very smooth and a bit warm. Excellent extension and detail definition. However, they are closed, not open 'phones.

A few of the better known options:

Hifiman HE-400
Sennheiser HD600
Shure SRH1440
Beyerdynamic DT880 & DT990
AKG Q701 & K702
Grado SR325is

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 8
+1 for HE-400. They can be had for closer to $330 if you look around too. I've been enjoying mine since they arrived several weeks ago. They respond well to EQ-ing and have some amazing bass, mids and hi's. Clear, detailed, the seperation must be heard to be believed...I can follow a single instrument through an entire song if I choose to! Well worth a serious look. I am a huge fan of planar magnetic headphones now! I can't afford anything better, but the HE-400's are the best headphone I've owned A friend of mine just got a pair of Q701's and loves them as well! 

Honestly there are a lot of good options, spend some time and research all of the suggestions provided so far. Also where and how you plan to use them counts too.. portable use? Home use? PC use? Gaming too? Do you have something that can drive headphones (amp)?

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Thank you for your help.
The hifiman 400 is on top of my list. I am worrying about its plastic ear cups.
400 shouldnt be to hard to drive. I am hifiman 901 with balance amp card and for my pc I have ALO pan.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 8
Well don't. It's nothing to worry about. :)

Edit: The cups are thick, solid, heavy duty...very very solid, well built, feels like very good quality in heft and solid feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back