I am looking for a 500GB or larger 2.5" laptop hard drive (In canada online with a maximum budget of $120)
Aug 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
My toshiba laptops hard drive is at the end of it's life span and I would like to get a suitable replacement. I am looking for Canadian dealers which ship using Paypal (Without credit card. Bank transactions only). I don't care if it's 5400rpm or 7200rpm but I would prefer the later. I mostly care about space available on the drive.

I would prefer maximum space available and 1tb would be ideal.

Thank you for the help.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 12
Aug 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 12
Personally, I'd say find a Samsung drive if you can. Right now they have a better track record for reliability than either WD and Seagate. Cheaper, as well:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152236

I have one of the in my laptop, have had for two years or so now, though I think mine was the 5,400 RPM model. Either way, it's done a lot of travelling with me and just loads of general abuse. I'd highly recommend it.

On a side note, Samsung also tends to draw less power than even Western Digital's green line.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Personally, I'd say find a Samsung drive if you can. Right now they have a better track record for reliability than either WD and Seagate. Cheaper, as well:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152236

I have one of the in my laptop, have had for two years or so now, though I think mine was the 5,400 RPM model. Either way, it's done a lot of travelling with me and just loads of general abuse. I'd highly recommend it.

On a side note, Samsung also tends to draw less power than even Western Digital's green line.

do you have any studies to back that up?

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Mostly it's just the impression I've gotten from the reviews I've read of different drives. Plus, if you look on Newegg these days Samsung drives tend to be higher rated where Seagate has been slipping and WD has a mix of love and hate.

It all depends on the capacity you're going for, of course. Still, given my experience with them and the experiences of others Samsung is my current favorite. Though, that may change seeing as they were recently bought by Seagate.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 12
Aug 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 12
I purchased a WD scorpio 500GB hard drive.

Do you guys have any experience with wd hard drives? are they good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back