I am in deep trouble thanks to Dr. Lloyd!
Sep 28, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #17 of 111
I just sent an email to Dr. Lloyd asking him to put me on the list of buyers. I really want one.

This means I will have to sell an amp or two, which one? It may be the last one I got (MF X-Can V2) but I had so many plans to have it modded. I hate living in an apartment, if I had a house I could do like tyrion or PinkFloyd and have lots of amps.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #18 of 111
Must be fate ... just got a rs-1 and now this thread pops up. Guess my wallet's not through suffering yet.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #19 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by dslknight
Must be fate ... just got a rs-1 and now this thread pops up. Guess my wallet's not through suffering yet.
rs1smile.gif

think of it as fate...few amps pair better with the rs1 than the MAD offerings...

Sep 28, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #20 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I just sent an email to Dr. Lloyd asking him to put me on the list of buyers. I really want one.

i did too as soon as i saw this thread.

now everyone stop posting so that it drops off the front page!

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #23 of 111
Count me in as well, my name's on the list. After seeing what Voodoochile did with his ear+, I've been inspired to do something similar. Ltd edition + mods =
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Now to start on the required reading so I'll have a fighting chance of getting something even remotely resembling Voodoochile's custom ear+.

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #24 of 111
more tidbits from dr. peppard:

- he may get to the design within the next week.
- he was planning on 5 units, but since there are more than 5 on the list now, he said that he would make sure that everyone who wanted one would get one. i don't know whether that's true if, say, 50 people were on the list. but, it looks like we can all get one if we want.
- price will be more than a normal ear+, though he did not say how much more.

i'm also hoping a special case will be made...

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #25 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino

- he was planning on 5 units, but since there are more than 5 on the list now, he said that he would make sure that everyone who wanted one would get one. i don't know whether that's true if, say, 50 people were on the list. but, it looks like we can all get one if we want.

Yes, he normally creates a new "look" for the 50, 100, ... runs. For example the 100 (the one I have) he put a magic eye in the front w/ an adjusting knob, gold chasis w/ black wood sides, two 1/4" plugs, two sources in with a selector switch, and a passive pre-amp feature.

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #26 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino

wooo! i thought i was going to have to be on a computer 24/7 so that i could beat you guys!!! glad that i can now get some sleep........
tongue.gif

and i agree - a special case would be good......

Oct 8, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 111
The 5751 is a nice tube. I don't think it betters the 12AX7 but it does sound a little different. You can go for the Sylvania Gold Pin in either the grey (less noisy for some reason) or black plate, the Command series, GE 5 star, and on and on but the JAN series that is cheap and very available is horrible. I find it gritty and lacking in the good qualities of the 5751. The 5751 used to be very cheap but as it caught on the the price has gone up. The Sylvania Gold pin can go for 75 or more dollars each but they are nice. The one difference of the 5751 from the 12AX7 is that the 5751 can sound a little smoother, which for me equates to more musical but the 12AX7 in the Telefunken smooth plate is very fine.

Jimi Hendrix used the 5751. He knew which one he liked (brand) and loved the tube for it ability to overdrive and get the distorted sound he wanted. There is one guy who knew how to use tubes.

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #30 of 111
The standard Mapletree looks much better to me, like a 50's kitchen appliance. This still looks retro but more like a 70's computer/gaming device with the lettering on the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back