I am getting slightly mad
Oct 29, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #16 of 30
Hi @Bliman,

The only thing I can suggest is before anything else, trust your own judgement & most importantly your own ears with a good quality source or sources you know very well, ONLY YOU, no one else, can make a decision at the end of the day on what you like.
This means, when possible, demo as much as possible, even gear you may not like or more importantly, not interested in for various reasons to get a base line for your preferences.
For gear which may be hard or impossible to demo given geo location, then you have to not only find a source which gives you as close to an unbaised view as posslbe to help form your choice or take a leap on a lower priced product in that range which may appeal to you, the last is definitely not foolproof but it does provide insight into what you may be looking for.
Understanding product specs does help too but is more a guideline as well than hard fact.

Hope you have a great day !

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #17 of 30
Hi @Bilman,

The only thing I can suggest is before anything else, trust your own judgement & most importantly your own ears with a good quality source or sources you know very well, ONLY YOU, no one else, can make a decision at the end of the day on what you like.
This means, when possible, demo as much as possible, even gear you may not like or more importantly, not interested in for various reasons to get a base line for your preferences.
For gear which may be hard or impossible to demo given geo location, then you have to not only find a source which gives you as close to an unbaised view as posslbe to help form your choice or take a leap on a lower priced product in that range which may appeal to you, the last is definitely not foolproof but it does provide insight into what you may be looking for.
Understanding product specs does help too but is more a guideline as well than hard fact.

Thank you for the wise words. And I also wish you a great day. I shall keep you all up to date.

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #18 of 30
This is why I do not like to read reviews LOL but sometime the review is helpful when you are indecisive between few options. I always try a few then read the reviews and finally end up with the final decision. So far this approach have not fail me yet.

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 30
This is why I do not like to read reviews LOL but sometime the review is helpful when you are indecisive between few options. I always try a few then read the reviews and finally end up with the final decision. So far this approach have not fail me yet.

Hi @yong_shun,

Totally agree, especially if no demo is available makes it tricky & sometimes you may have to take a leap.
Had more positives than negatives overall but then I always treat the latter as learning experiences on how to be better.

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #20 of 30
I think you have two main issues:

Number 1: the dynaudio sound signature.
It's hard to find a headphone that has the same spaciousness, transparency, non-fatigueing treble and bass response as dynaudios. The closest thing that has done it on my amp are planar magnetic headphones. Unfortunately they ones id want to recommend you (hifiman he400i/4XX) are open back.

Number 2: form factor.
Closed back headphones have a hard time with spaciousness just due to the cup being closed. I think the AKG K553-series would be a good choice, or the Shure SRH940 or SRH1540. You might like an AKG K340 too but that is a somewhat harder recommendation to make for me.

Also, what amp are you using to drive them?

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #21 of 30
It's hard to find a headphone that has the same spaciousness, transparency, non-fatigueing treble and bass response as dynaudios. The closest thing that has done it on my amp are planar magnetic headphones. Unfortunately they ones id want to recommend you (hifiman he400i/4XX) are open back.

That spells "Argon" to me Although they may be considered too dark to call transparent, I guess : )

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #22 of 30
That spells "Argon" to me Although they may be considered too dark to call transparent, I guess : )

I dont think ive heard any argons though ive really wanted to, but I dont think Dynaudios are super dark sounding. Maybe compared to PSB's they are

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #23 of 30
I dont think ive heard any argons though ive really wanted to, but I dont think Dynaudios are super dark sounding. Maybe compared to PSB's they are

I can't comment on speakers, but I do think the Argons do a good at ticking several of those boxes: spaciousness, non-fatiguing treble, closed back planar, good bass in quantities that vary depending on the pads used.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #24 of 30
I can't comment on speakers, but I do think the Argons do a good at ticking several of those boxes: spaciousness, non-fatiguing treble, closed back planar, good bass in quantities that vary depending on the pads used.

Ooooooh! I thought you meant Amphion Argon SPEAKERS not the Modhouse argon HEADPHONES. Now that I think about it what I thought doeant make sense.
I haven't heard those either but I'm sure that they will be the next best thing given the reputation of T50rp mods

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #25 of 30

Closed back headphones have a hard time with spaciousness just due to the cup being closed. I think the AKG K553-series would be a good choice, or the Shure SRH940 or SRH1540. You might like an AKG K340 too but that is a somewhat harder recommendation to make for me.

Also, what amp are you using to drive them?
Thanks for the reply,
Yeah it has been a hard search for my main system, luckily I had a great audio retailer that knows so much about audio and also designs his own speakers.
I originally had a Unico Amplifier but that was to sibilant. I then listened to many things.
And I settled on the Grace Design m902 as dac and preamplifier and a Nad cd player and Lyngdorf digital power amplifier and also added a Q acoustic subwoofer. To be honest I am still tinkering.
I have now find out that the sound is the best if the speakers are angled a little to the outside (contrary to all advice).
I am seeking how I will do this. My plan is if the money is reimbursed from my previous headphones.
Then I will buy the Beyerdynamic DT-250 and try them on the Grace Design and see if it is better then the previous one.
If it hits the buttons then I would buy a amplifier for listening on the computer (looking at the lowest range Schiit).
I have a feeling that the scene of headphones is much higher in the USA.
Yes I was a click away from buying the Hifiman HE400i till I had to remind myself that I needed a closed headphone.
I also looked at the AKG K553 but I backed out of it because of the seal on the ears and also that it had fixed cords and it costs 50€ more for only having replaceable cords. Hopefully the Beyerdynamics are good.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #26 of 30

Hi @kid vic,

I'm just curious why you say 'Closed Backs have hard time with spaciousness'?
It would be nice if people stop saying that, it gets really aggravating & makes me wonder sometimes, (no offence necessarily to you, by the way) whether people have heard enough Closed Backs with different associated gear with their chosen source to warrant this kind of answer.

Like the two Shures you mentioned, there are plenty of Closed Backs which have a lot of spaciousness in my humble subjective & personal opinion, not to mention synergy with source &/or associated gear.

Sure, while Opens are not my go to preference, there are only a few I like for various reasons.

Some examples of some with great if not excellent spaciousness are as follows in no particular order :

MSR 7
1AM2
99 Classics
TH 610

Of cours, there are many more but we'll be here all day.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #27 of 30
Hi @Bliman,

Forgot to mention, look for pro gear for your source & amp needs as most pro gear is certainly more wallet friendly & in some cases, has better specs overall than consumer.

Hope you find what you're looking for, be interested to know how you go with it all.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #28 of 30
Hi @kid vic,

I'm just curious why you say 'Closed Backs have hard time with spaciousness'?
It would be nice if people stop saying that, it gets really aggravating & makes me wonder sometimes, (no offence necessarily to you, by the way) whether people have heard enough Closed Backs with different associated gear with their chosen source to warrant this kind of answer.

Like the two Shures you mentioned, there are plenty of Closed Backs which have a lot of spaciousness in my humble subjective & personal opinion, not to mention synergy with source &/or associated gear.

Sure, while Opens are not my go to preference, there are only a few I like for various reasons.

Some examples of some with great if not excellent spaciousness are as follows in no particular order :

MSR 7
1AM2
99 Classics
TH 610

Of cours, there are many more but we'll be here all day.

When I say hard time with spaciousness I'm talking about the relative width and depth of soundstage compared to other headphones. My TH600 has excellent soundstage width compared to other closed headphones but its far narrower than my K7XX or the HD800.
I'm not saying that closed headphones dont have good width or depth (the things critical to a spacious sound) its just that they are not the absolute best for that.
It's like saying bookshelf speakers have less bass than 3-way floorstanders, that is objectively and measurably true and its just due to design. It's not meant to hurt the reputation of a design It's just a statement on physical attributes. Likewise, closed back headphones tend to have a weaker bass response; Audeze has proven that it can be mitigated or overcome but it comes at a cost and is harder to do comparitevly speaking.

Its funny how you mention other people saying it and not having enough experience with associated gear, the two people who say this the most frequently are Jude (creator of head-fi) and Tyll (the most well known headphone reviewer aside from Jude). I can't imagine anyone having a wider breadth of knowledge on headphones and accessories than those two but they make that statement quite often.

I recently demoed the Audeze LCD-XC against the LCD-3 at a local shop, imo both had a fairly similar soundstage width that was superior to the Focal Clears nearby but still smaller than the HD700 and HD800 also at the shop.
I will say again that in absolute largest size open backs will win, closed backs can do really well but its harder and more infrequent .

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #29 of 30
Hi guys,
A month ago I bought the Beyerdynamic DT 250 (250 Ohm).
And I like it very much (very good timing, fast bass and neutral).
Now for the moment I have it connected to the computer only (waiting for the atom amp). Now I was listening to the music and suddenly the music cut off.
And yes it was already the cable that is the source of the problem, apparently my cable is already broken. When you lift it a little you can hear the music cutting off.
Is this cable this cheaply made? The replacement cost 35 € but I have been playing for about only a month now.
Should I contact Beyerdynamic (or Amazon, where I bought it) to tell this?
The problem is that the cable is very heavy and it is plugged in on the upside of the computer and because it is such a long heavy cable I always put it on my lap.
But I guess the coil has to much weight for the cable ends. I thought that this headphone was hard to destroy because it is for the studio, but I didn't do anything wrong with it and the cable is already gone.
Is there a better cable for the Beyerdynamic DT250?

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #30 of 30
Hi guys,
A month ago I bought the Beyerdynamic DT 250 (250 Ohm).
And I like it very much (very good timing, fast bass and neutral).
Now for the moment I have it connected to the computer only (waiting for the atom amp). Now I was listening to the music and suddenly the music cut off.
And yes it was already the cable that is the source of the problem, apparently my cable is already broken. When you lift it a little you can hear the music cutting off.
Is this cable this cheaply made? The replacement cost 35 € but I have been playing for about only a month now.
Should I contact Beyerdynamic (or Amazon, where I bought it) to tell this?
The problem is that the cable is very heavy and it is plugged in on the upside of the computer and because it is such a long heavy cable I always put it on my lap.
But I guess the coil has to much weight for the cable ends. I thought that this headphone was hard to destroy because it is for the studio, but I didn't do anything wrong with it and the cable is already gone.
Is there a better cable for the Beyerdynamic DT250?

I would contact Beyer about it. They have good customer service in my experience and the headphone will be under warranty, they will likely replace the cable at no to little cost to you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back