I am finally considering other Browsers..a.k.a IE really does suck!
Aug 26, 2005 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

iq160plus

100+ Head-Fier
LONG BORING STORY to follow....Save yor time and go away..

Laptop Hardrive (30 GiG) failure this weekend. I feel that age had a little to do with it, but one day I came home and hard drive buzzing away, numerous internet explorer windows open.....VIRUS....

I had 103 processes running in task manager...I usually have 29-35 max! I spend literally all SUNDAY trying to eliminate all the spyware, malware, and viruses...It was impossible.

I ran updated versions of McAfee Virus 9.0, Ad-Aware Pro 6 with latest build 1.81 i think, Spyware Doctor (highly rated at downloads.com) and Search and Destroy. I thought these were good. Here's the kicker...

I ran them all, with full and deep searches, for lack of better term. Sure, even though up till the previous Friday I was clean.. Now their were about 300 items found by McAfee, hundreds by S&D, and I remember about 1700 by Ad-Aware, then about 250 things from Spyware doctor. THEN....

I rebooted to SAFE-MODE (Win2k) and re-ran all of them again. Everytime I ran them they would all find 6-200 items of trash. I had to run them at least 5 times each at a considerable time. I turned off my cable-modem in between and I would still have about 3-6 unusual processes running in Task Manager. When I would manually stop a process, it would immediately be replaced by another one, under a different name. It was crazy....this lasted for about 10 hrs. I was ticked. I went into the registry, and deleted hundreds of items. I un-installed about 10 things under Control Panel/Add Remove Software.... I was up to date on ALL IE and Win2k programs. I gave up. I put in a NEW hard-drive, and started a new install of Win2K.

It's not like me to give up, but after fighting that long, I figured that I was finally paying my dues from P2P files!

But, no, its not that easy....Here, a NEW, freshly formatted hard-drive. The only thing installed was Windows 2000 Server. I wanted to install Service Pack first of all, so I turned on the Cable Modem. I swear that I had not even typed in www.microsoft.com when I got my first Junk Message. So I went to Services and killed Messenger Service. My version of IE included with Win2K had HOME PAGE as www.msn.com defaulted.
By the time I fixed the Messenger Service Problem (20 seconds, maybe) Internet Explorer had already started pop-ups and installed a version of the ISTSearchbar and was popping up already!! This world is crazy. I am not a violent person, but i sware I would punch a spammer ( or a 'legalized' spammer under the name of "targeted advertiser") right in the face.

I am convinced that I need something other than IE. I hate changes, but this was all too much.

I am glad to say that the only thing I lost was default settings on MS Office software, and my FAVORITES in IE! All documents restored ( I have thousands) and all databases recovered (I have at least 50)!
An I was able to get old hard-drive working through USB to get my outlook backup.pst back!! No thanks to Microsoft, who i don't normally rag on, but come on....Spyware and pop-ups on a FRESH system after going to www.msn.com.

I trust you 'guys' at head-fi! I will be searching the forums for browser suggestions.

MORAL of the story: backup, backup, backup.

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 7
You're not alone. This happens to everyone who uses IE eventually, even sophisticated computer users. (See Edwood's thread about his experiences with IE for proof of that.)

Just switch to Firefox and forget about it.

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 7
Yeah Mozilla Firefox is pretty much the best browser available right now. It's free, and it runs circles around IE.

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 7
There are some things that I don't like about Firefox, but with the latest update, it is really up to par with IE7.

After I customized Firefox more, I have no reason to go back to IE. Well except after a clean install, and I have to update windows for the first time.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Aug 26, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
There are some things that I don't like about Firefox, but with the latest update, it is really up to par with IE7.

i dont mean to flame/troll, but what? the fiew known security issues have been promptly fixed. i have serious doubts that the average user would miss any features not comon to both programs. thgere are difereneces, but there are diferences in putting on a grado and an akg headphone on: both are headphones....

Quote:

After I customized Firefox more, I have no reason to go back to IE. Well except after a clean install, and I have to update windows for the first time.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

you still have to use ie for the windows updates (i think)

i keep recent copys of my important and large programs in my media drive. it can go from computer to computer without being formatted. no time spent downloading when my system needs windows reinstalled for some stupid reason or another. the reason is usually nikongod error...

Aug 26, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 7
Try this and you will hate IE even more
biggrin.gif

On any text editor just type in something and copy it to clipboard using ctrl +c

Open this link

This doesnt happen in firefox.
IE users better be careful before copying your accounts and password information

Aug 26, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawhit
Try this and you will hate IE even more
biggrin.gif

On any text editor just type in something and copy it to clipboard using ctrl +c

Open this link

This doesnt happen in firefox.
IE users better be careful before copying your accounts and password information

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back