I am done with Shure. Any suggestions ?
Dec 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

crizelle

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

my SRH840 has broken again at the same place my last pair did, at the junction with the cups (really bad plastic quality).

This is my second pair, and I am really considering another brand ! So far, the contenders I have listed are :

-Focal Spirit One
-Philips Fidelio M1
-Shure SRH940, maybe too big and not really transportable
-AKG?
-Beryerdinamic ?
-Sennheiser Momentum ? Way more expensive though...
-Shure SRH840, again ?

-I have dismissed the m50 because it's too big and I can't seem to like the design
-Audio Technica, I have dismissed them because they are way too big
-Grado/Alessandro, I have dismissed them because open cans are not suitable for public transportation.
-Last Sony MDR-R1 because of the negative feedbacks I have read in the threads.

Could you please tell me what you think about those different headphones ? Is the Spirit One as good as the SRH940 when it comes to sound ? Same for the M1, which seems nice and more reliable in terms of used materials.  

I really enjoyed the srh840 as they had quite a soundstage for closed cans, a correct isolation, great comfort and they separated instruments really well.

Thanks in advance for your valuable insights !

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 17
Hi

I would like to see some pictures of the broken 840's,and how this happened,did you do something wrong and they broke?I would appreciate some info,because I like mine and don't want to break them.I have them 3 years now,and no problem with my pair till now,with almost everyday use.

I have tried several pairs of closed circumaral-easy to drive headphones,and the AKG K550 was close in sound quality/overall tonality compared to shures.Not exactly the same of course,but not so different.Akg have a better balance in the lows-mid lows,a slightly more musical midrange,and a bit similar treble quantity,with just a bit of emphasis in some high frequencies you don't hear with shures,but overall,when I switched from one to the other,there was not a big difference in overall tonallity and quality of sound.
That's my opinion of course,my source was an ipod nano 5g with apple lossless and good quality mp3 files.
If I need to replace my 840 in the future,first thing that comes in my mind is akg k550.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 17
Hi, thanks for the feedback, I hadn't considered this guys.

From what I read, they are better than Shure 840 in the fact they almost sound like opened-cans, so better soundstage mainly. Plus, it seems it's not even a marketing gimmick !

However, I really dislike the fact that they seem way bigger than SRH 840, which are already big, and mostly that they don't have a removable cable ! The original cable is 3m long ! that's crazy good for home, but in transports it's awfull !

What about the AKG K551? If I gather things correctly they have change the cable, but same sound quality ? But if you say that they sound almost the same than the Shure's, when these ones are half the price...is it really worth it ?

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 17
I had the k550 for a couple of days,maybe they are better than the shures,I found them really good.It's not a bad thing if they improve an already good sound signature like the one of the 840's,if you already like these.The akg k550 seemed to improve the midbass/bass balance and performance,midrange was a bit more emotional,and there was an emphasis somewhere in treble making them just a bit brighter sometimes. I found them to be a sideway to upgrade move compared to shures.AKG'S build quality also seems to be better,more durable.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Soundmagic HP100

Problem, they don't really stand out with an amazing design...

I had the k550 for a couple of days,maybe they are better than the shures,I found them really good.It's not a bad thing if they improve an already good sound signature like the one of the 840's,if you already like these.The akg k550 seemed to improve the midbass/bass balance and performance,midrange was a bit more emotional,and there was an emphasis somewhere in treble making them just a bit brighter sometimes. I found them to be a sideway to upgrade move compared to shures.AKG'S build quality also seems to be better,more durable.

Okay, I think the main thing that would interest me is the higher build quality and good sound stage. But the cable and price is definitely a problem. I guess I'd go with the K551 as the cable is smaller from what I gather.

Any chance you listened to the Spirit One? They are stylish, smaller, and it seems everyone agrees in saying they have a great audio quality.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 17
Look at the Accutone Pisces band if you want small and stylish.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 17
the srh 940 is a step up from the srh 840! and I would say worth the price difference would imply! I think its the best sq I've heard - out of a good source and amp that is, still its overall sq is blasphemously awesome.. and super easy to drive.. I think the soundstage might be slightly better than the srh 840 as well...

A beyerdynamic dt 990 pro would be a difference in sound from the srh 840 .. they also provide a mammothy soundstage and would need a good amp to drive them( open cans - low isolation )

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 17
Why not the Shure SRH750DJ? Ive read the 840 and the 750DJ are very similar with the 750DJ having a little more emphasis on the low end. Ive owned mine for quite some time and toss them in my backpack at college all the time and they dont creak and there are no fractures.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Look at the Accutone Pisces band if you want small and stylish.

I am okay with headphones similar in size to the SRH840. I think those ones look a bit too much like the beats, and that's not necessarily a compliment :frowning2:

the srh 940 is a step up from the srh 840! and I would say worth the price difference would imply! I think its the best sq I've heard - out of a good source and amp that is, still its overall sq is blasphemously awesome.. and super easy to drive.. I think the soundstage might be slightly better than the srh 840 as well...

A beyerdynamic dt 990 pro would be a difference in sound from the srh 840 .. they also provide a mammothy soundstage and would need a good amp to drive them( open cans - low isolation )

I am looking into the 940, it looks interesting, but most people and reviews say it is not really a portable headphone. Plus, as it is as expensive as a Focal Spirit one or a AKG 550, I think I might as well go for the later as they are metal-built and have won what-hifi awards this year, with an enhancement on the incredible soundstage they have for closed cans !

Otherwise, I'll consider investing again in the Shure 840, as they don't seem to be so easy to beat at their price (120€..)

Why not the Shure SRH750DJ? Ive read the 840 and the 750DJ are very similar with the 750DJ having a little more emphasis on the low end. Ive owned mine for quite some time and toss them in my backpack at college all the time and they dont creak and there are no fractures.

That's a good proposition too, but I prefer a more neutral, natural sound. Though I am a big fan of electronica and IDM, I am not so much a bass-head ! (yep, that might be a bit strange, I know :)).

So, no one to speak for Philips M1 or Spirit Focal One ? That's strange... maybe not a good sign !

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 17
Why don't you consider IEMs ? Brainwavz B2 / Rockit R-50 --> TWFK Knowles driven earphones are exceptionally good for techno/trance in my book, they are superbly fast and the B2 for example are more revealing and transparent of source and file .. 

These are exceptional IEM with fast bass and a great sq!

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 17
Dec 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 17
I loved the clarity of the Shure 940 but the headband cracked 6 days after I bought it. If you are concerned with build quality I would look at something other than the 940. That was my personal experience.

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 17
It's quite incredible that the headband cracks so easily ! I had the opportunity to try the Philips M1 and, I have to say, the metal used clearly gives the feeling that these are not going to break anytime soon ! Plus they are considerably smaller and comfortable than the Shure's. To be honest, if there was no price difference between the srh 840 and the M1, I would definitely go with the m1 as they sound fantastic too but with a premium feeling !

I tried the Spirit One too, and it is quite difference, I don't know if I really like the impression it gave to me. The SQ is there, there is no discussing that, and it has a neutral, natural sound. But I am not so sure about the headband. Basically, it really puts pressure on the ears instead of having the headband sit on the top of your head. If you don't have glasses, you'll still find these to be quite too much pressure from the sides, if you wear glasses, you'll find it to be a problem for long listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back