I am confused.
May 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
While certainly not limited to head-fi, I noticed people over at FS/FT forums remove the asking price on the item up for sale once the item is sold. I am genuinely confused why people would have to do so, unless there is some sort of unwritten rule I am not familiar with. This only makes it harder for other prospective sellers to get any idea what their item is worth in the market terms. It gets worse for the forums where price checking threads are not allowed (not sure about head-fi, but some of the bigger boards definitely do not allow this AFAIK).

Honestly, I fail to see if there would be any potential benefit to this behavior, not that I think they do it with some sort of malicious intent. Am I missing something here?

May 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 12
there was a thread like this a while ago.
could be any reason. its just a habit from audiogon i think.
another possibility is that the biggest bargain goes first, and may make other items look expensive.

May 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 12
Aw, you two beat me to it.
evil_smiley.gif

May 14, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're missing the magical "search button" in your browser window.
wink.gif

Yes, I was being a bit lazy, guilty as charged. But what would any forum be without a handful of reposts? Sometimes reposts do have their merit of revealing other relevant bits of information in the form of different responses.

Now I see why they do it, but not necessarily agree with this practice. vcoheda's post in the first link made it all clear for me.''

As for directly asking previous sellers, I have done it with my all the other items. But to form a good idea of what constitutes a "fair" starting price, I would have to repeat this with multiple people, sending the same unsolicited messages out of the blue. Not only tedious for myself, but potentially intrusive to others. Gotta be a better way, I thought.

May 14, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 12
I'm the one who goes through the different threads and does this.

May 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 12
While I am confused why this question come up every month or so!
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Please search...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back