I am batting 0/2 with wireless
Mar 10, 2021 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ultrarunner2018

100+ Head-Fier
My first pair of wireless headphones were the JBL Under Armour Train Wireless. They're really bulky, and after wearing them only a couple months the center (play/pause) button doesn't always work. I have traced that to a bluetooth/firmware rather than a hardware issue, but the problem doesn't exist on my Jabra Elite Active 75t paired with the same phone and running the same music player - PowerAmp and an audiobook player - Overdrive.

I first purchased the JBL / UA cans in July 2020 at a really great price from Walmart. I believe they were refurbished, although nothing was stated to that effect in the description. It was only from another buyer's review that I learned this.
I was pleased with the sound quality from the JBL/UA, but then that is comparing to Koss PortaPro and SportaPro wired.

When I needed to return the JBL/UA for replacement around Thanksgiving time, I purchased a pair of Jabra Elite Active 75t from Amazon for about $150.
I was even more impressed with the sound quality of the Jabra than I was with the JBL/UA.
But unfortunately, my pleasure was short-lived. The Jabra Elite Active 75t began to give me trouble in January.
The right bud would fade out to nothing after wearing them for 5mins or so.
This appears to be a heat related issue. After communicating with Jabra support, I received an RMA.
I sent the buds to Jabra around the middle of Feb, and as of today I have not received a replacement pair.
I received an e-mail from Jabra informing me of a change in logistics, so it may take a bit longer than expected to receive the replacement.

In the meantime, I continue to use the JBL/UA replacement - which I received only about 2 weeks after mailing the defective pair.
I am having the same sort of issue with the play/pause button, but at least I have something I can use until I get the Jabra back.

Overall, I am disappointed with wireless headphones / earbuds. Perhaps if I was willing to spend $400+ on a pair, I would get better quality, but at this point, I'm leaning towards going back to wired, since my Moto G7 Optimo Maxx has a headphone jack. The problem will be if I buy a new phone a couple years from now, and cannot find one that has a headphone jack. I wouldn't want to have a $400 pair of IEM's that I cannot use. So perhaps I am better off with wireless after all, but maybe have to bite the $$ bullet and get a pair of good ones.

If I were to spend $400+ on these wireless IEM's, can anyone recommend something?

Thanks for reading
Ultrarunner

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 16
Beats Flex

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 16
Are you using these for working out?

Anyways, I've had the Senn MTW2 since last April. They get used for just over an hour a day pretty much every day (dog walks). Lately since I started taking mass transit into the city I've used them a bit more. They are in tip top shape. Most folks in the long Wireless thread in this forum don't really have longevity issues with those buds so far. The original MTW had a discharging issue while in the case, but that's been fixed with the 2's. Battery life is about 4 hours with ANC on if you listen to them at a high volume (90-100% as I do). With ANC off and at a lower volume, battery life goes up. The touch controls are fantastic on these. ANC is mediocre. Ambient mode is decent. Passive isolation is great. SQ is fantastic. Build quality is great. The case gives lots of charges. The included eartips were mediocre for me at least. Unlike other TWS buds I've tried, the MTW2 do take a variety of other tips and the buds still fit in the charging case well. Other buds when I've tried other tips on them, they fit on the buds, but they won't fit in the charging case. I personally have had excellent call quality with these but others say they get glitches.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 16
Not heavy cardio but brisk walking for sure but then I don’t mind outside sounds either but IMO these are fine for what I use them for

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 16
For TWS earphones:
-- Cambridge Audio Melomania 1. Excellent sound quality for $100 if you can get a good fit. Cambridge Audio just released a + version for $140, which only adds USB-C and app compatibility. Seems like a bit of a ripoff.
-- Lypertek Tevi (recently renamed PurePlay Z3). Perhaps the TWS most closely tuned to the Harman Curve. Excellent sound for $90-100.
-- Helm Audio True Wireless 5.0. These are the TWS to get if you like bass. They're oozing with bass, yet it remains pretty controlled. Colors the mids but doesn't dominate.

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks guys;
I do use these buds for working out - mainly running (outdoors).
Funny thing I found with the Jabra 75t; they stay in my ears pretty well when running outdoors, but on the tm, they tend to bounce out after 30+ minutes. I guess it's all about cadence, which is faster (and bouncier) on the tm than on the road.

I'll check out the recommendations, but won't be buying anything just yet. I want to see if the replacement Jabras will fix the issue (but I kind of doubt it).

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks guys;
I do use these buds for working out - mainly running (outdoors).
Funny thing I found with the Jabra 75t; they stay in my ears pretty well when running outdoors, but on the tm, they tend to bounce out after 30+ minutes. I guess it's all about cadence, which is faster (and bouncier) on the tm than on the road.

I'll check out the recommendations, but won't be buying anything just yet. I want to see if the replacement Jabras will fix the issue (but I kind of doubt it).
Among my recommendations, the Tevi's have deep insertion and should stay put during exercise. The Helm's have rubber wings and locked into my ears better than any TWS earphone without an over-ear loop that I've used.

The Melomania 1's, on the other hand, have a weird fit and could come loose during exercise.

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 16
One other thing I should probably have included in my OP:
First, I love deep bass, but also crave clear mids and sharp highs. My hearing isn't as good as it was when I was 20, but I can still hear up to 15KHz.
Second; When I run on the treadmill or outside when it's warm, my ears get really sweaty. I had some issues with the Jabra Elite Active 75t related to this while on the tm, but not outside during the winter. The warmer wx is coming, so I will soon (if I ever receive the replacements from Jabra) know how well these perform in the heat.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 16
Have you thought of using a BT dongle? I use the Qudelix 5K and it is great sounding and very convenient. It avoids the issue of the headphone jack and you have a lot more choices of iem to use with them. That said, I have also owned the Sony wf1000xm3 and they were pretty decent sounding but I prefer the Qudelix solution.

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 16
Have you thought of using a BT dongle? I use the Qudelix 5K and it is great sounding and very convenient. It avoids the issue of the headphone jack and you have a lot more choices of iem to use with them. That said, I have also owned the Sony wf1000xm3 and they were pretty decent sounding but I prefer the Qudelix solution.
Thanks. That would solve the problem for my next phone if it doesn't have a headphone jack, or if the one it does have isn't any good.
I don't know how good the DAC in my Moto G7 Optimo Maxx is, since the only wired I have used were the Koss PortaPro and SportaPro.
I guess my ATH-M50X would be a better choice for a test of the phone's DAC.

In the end though, I would prefer to stick with true wireless. I've come to love the freedom from the cord. It always seemed to get in the way while I was running; especially during pit stops, if you know what I mean...

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #11 of 16
First, I love deep bass, but also crave clear mids and sharp highs. My hearing isn't as good as it was when I was 20, but I can still hear up to 15KHz.
Second; When I run on the treadmill or outside when it's warm, my ears get really sweaty. I had some issues with the Jabra Elite Active 75t related to this while on the tm, but not outside during the winter. The warmer wx is coming, so I will soon (if I ever receive the replacements from Jabra) know how well these perform in the heat.
I think you may like the Helm True Wireless 5.0 based on your desired sound signature.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 16

The Cambridge Melomania Touch really seem to fit your needs, just except they haven't been out long enough to truly determine long-term durability. They are light, they are IPX4 so good for running, they have fins that make them very stable in the ear, and they have a great sound known for a rich deep bass with good mids and highs. Some folks who want a bit more mids and highs use the EQ in the app that seems to work well for their needs in the main TWS thread. I personally use the stock sound, but it's good to be able to tweak it slightly. Also they do have a decent Transparency mode if you want to be more aware of your surroundings, AND they also go quite loud if you want to drown out your surroundings. No ANC with these, but they are only $150. Battery life is respectable and the case has a lot of backup juice. Also, touch controls are super sensitive and have a large surface area to hit, which can be good for working out, you don't have to aim for a little spot. This also has a downside, sometimes they are too sensitive if you want to adjust them in your ear, you will engage a touch control. I would advise if you get these to disable the Volume up and down touch controls immediately. You can also enable/disable each touch control individually, so that is nice.

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks guys;
I guess I should have posted here before buying the Jabra. But it will only be a matter of time until I will be looking to replace the (replacement) Jabra.
I'll put a link to this thread in my personal notes so that when the Jabra do die (again) I will know where to look for another pair.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #14 of 16
Update Oct 30 2021
Well, the when I referred to in my last post is NOW. This morning, the right (same as last time) side gradually dropped out.
It's exactly the same issue as last time.
I suppose that if Jabra is willing to replace them at no cost, I will request an RMA. But I probably won't use the replacements much.
I am done with IEM's. I'm going to get myself a good pair of wireless on or over the ear cans.
IEM's are just too 'icky' for me. They get waxy, fall out when you're talking or chewing, and cause discomfort and diminished sound quality when I run with them in hot weather. That's not to say on or over ear cans will be any more comfortable in hot weather; they'll probably be more uncomfortable due to the reduction in exposed skin from which to dissipate heat and moisture. But at least the sound quality shouldn't suffer when my ears get damp.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for reading
Ultrarunner
Im going to assume you do running and need something for your runs?

I do ultras as well and my go to is Tanjim tanya and a Radsone ES100. It's a near perfect running rig if you ask me. You will get about 10-12 hours at best, but very nice relaxing sound to run with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back