I am a KSC-35 spazz...
Jan 27, 2004 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

RobbaDobba

Head-Fier
So, what exactly is the best way to put these things on? I feel like no matter what they are just not on right.

Jan 27, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 28
There have been a number of mod pages about the KSC's, try searching the headphone section. I had the same problem with them when I had them.

Jan 27, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 28
Try putting them on while looking in a mirror until you get the hang of it

Jan 27, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 28
I'd be more than happy to not waste anyone's time and do a search, but obviously when you search "KSC35" you get a TON of stuff. Can anyone suggest a more specific search?

These things sound great...but they are not as solidly constructed as I had hoped. That's why I want some advice on attaching them, I'm afraid to snap the plastic ear hugger.

Jan 27, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by RobbaDobba
These things sound great...but they are not as solidly constructed as I had hoped. That's why I want some advice on attaching them, I'm afraid to snap the plastic ear hugger.

Being inexpensive, you can't hope for anything more than plastic. The hinge is made to snap in and out of the driver chamber. They aren't very fragile at all anyway.

Jan 27, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 28
The easiest way to put them on is to place them above your ears, then rotate the plastic earclips backwards. This sounds much more complicated than it is to do. It's your choice as to whether you want the very bottom part of your earlobe to be under or over the bottom of the clips. Usually if you do the rotation thing, the very bottom part of your earlobe will be placed between the driver housing and the earclip, gently holding the headphones in place. But other people prefer the other way. That's fine too.

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 28
Wodgy is correct. The easiest way is to place the tips of the ear clips at the tops of your ears, as if you were about to slide a pencil over your ear or slide on a pair of sunglasses. Once you have the ear clip in it's "track" or groove between the top of your ear and your head, just rotate the whole thing down towards the back of your neck. The ear clip will stay behind your ears, and the tips of the clips will snug up behind your ear lobes naturally, though you may want to adjust their position a little. I usually rotate the ear clips around until they "stop" (run out of clip), then I rotate them back the opposite way maybe 10 degrees so they don't pinch.

The mirror suggestion was good too, once you watch yourself do it once, you can memorize the feeling and be able to do it in the dark all by yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 28
i slide the unit over the top ridge of my ear... put middle finger on top of the clip, use thumb to press on tip of the clip so that it moves behidn my earlobe... then its secure and comfy as can be. it takes like... a literal second to do it. i dont see why ppl would need 'instruction' as to how to put these on
confused.gif
600smile.gif

Jan 28, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 28
I was actually a bit lost at first when I bought my pair so I don't see anything wrong with asking for help. I just played with the fit a bit and I'm fine now. Although, I do worry about the clip popping out of the driver part.

Jan 28, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 28
ls20 has got it. The method of 'sliding a pencil over your ear' can't be the easiest method. It's actually pretty awkward in comparison to just holding the driver vertically with your thumb and middle finger and sliding onto your ear.

Jan 28, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by FrostyMMB
ls20 has got it. The method of 'sliding a pencil over your ear' can't be the easiest method. It's actually pretty awkward in comparison to just holding the driver vertically with your thumb and middle finger and sliding onto your ear.

I don't know how your ears are shaped, but the ear clips are curved 180 degrees (shaped like a "C") to fit AROUND your ears, so there's no "sliding" possible. Unless "slide" and "rotate" is interchangable for you, and we're talking about the same thing.
The pencil analogy only applies to starting the tip of the ear clip in the groove at the top of your ear, and I *have* to rotate the headphone clip arond my ear. I don't actually rotate the full 180 degrees, it's a combination of rotating and sliding down... so maybe 90 degrees is all one needs to "lock" in your ear clips securely.

I use my fingers to hold the drivers while installing them, my thumbs to push in on the ear clips so they clear the top of my ear and stay within the groove track. If I didn't rotate at all, and only slid them on as suggested, I'd be folding the top of my ear over everytime. Different strokes for different anatomies?

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by BMWBig6
I don't know how your ears are shaped, but the ear clips are curved 180 degrees (shaped like a "C") to fit AROUND your ears, so there's no "sliding" possible. Unless "slide" and "rotate" is interchangable for you, and we're talking about the same thing.
The pencil analogy only applies to starting the tip of the ear clip in the groove at the top of your ear, and I *have* to rotate the headphone clip arond my ear. I don't actually rotate the full 180 degrees, it's a combination of rotating and sliding down... so maybe 90 degrees is all one needs to "lock" in your ear clips securely.

I use my fingers to hold the drivers while installing them, my thumbs to push in on the ear clips so they clear the top of my ear and stay within the groove track. If I didn't rotate at all, and only slid them on as suggested, I'd be folding the top of my ear over everytime. Different strokes for different anatomies?

the gap between the earclip (where its bent to go from lateral tomedial) and the driver unit provides a large area to "slip" onto the top of your ear ridge

this is the silliest thing ive done..but... holding the unit:
koss1.jpg

slipped over ear
koss2.jpg

thumb pressing on bottom tip of clip... to secure entire clip behind earlobe
koss3.jpg

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 28
Whoah, I can't do that without severely bending the ear clips, straining the hinged joint, or folding my ear. Maybe I have big ears, the "C" shape of the clips are only large enough to go around the base of my ear "funnel" and are way too tight to just pop over my ear lobes like that. These KSC35's are already pretty flimsy, but if you can get away with just popping them over your ear like that, go for it. My hinged joints creak and crackle when I try and do it this way, and I still have to rotate them a little and adjust them to the most comfortable position afterward. However, I do remove them this way (my ear doesn't mind gently folding outward for a split second, but I have to fold my ear over manually or risk breaking my ear clips if I install them this way). And there's no way I could comfortably wear these with glasses (tried, ick!). Time for reconstructive surgery for me?
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 28
thats unfortunate. i guess mine are a little more broken in and have more flexibility? i have owned these for a long time..

if you still likethe ksc-35 sound then go for the portapro or grados... i found them both equally good
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back