I am a head-fier and this is my story: part 3
May 2, 2003 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SENOR4Q

100+ Head-Fier
And so ends my lenthly post trilogy about my infection with “the disease”. After now having my META 42 amp to compliment my beloved AKG K 501’s I felt I could still squeeze a little more performance out of my rig. The flimsiness of the cable on the AKG K 501’s is no secret to anyone. I therefore decided to do a little DIY mod to my phones, all the while praying that I didn’t fry the drivers in the process. I needed a pair of good but affordable interconnects for my new META so I ended up ordering 2 pairs of 6’ AR pro series II cable, one pair for the amp, the other pair for the headphones. I decided to go the double sided route and get rid of that POS in-the-headband-wire connecting the two drivers. I bought a gold series RCA to ¼” Stereo plug adapter for plugging into my amp. The difference in sound jumped at me right away. While listening to Eric Clapton’s Unplugged CD I felt my cans do something I had never heard them do before….RUMBLE! the bass now has attack to it. I got about a 4 db increase in the bass and a 3 db increase in the treble. Add that up and what does it give you, a flat headphone! Listening to Lauren Hill’s Unplugged CD, I can now feel her hard strumming of her guitar instead of just listening to it like before. In the treble region I now hear instruments decay intead of just rolling off, overall amazing stuff. My lovely wife (electronically dumb) also listens to my system, after the mods I let her have a listen to, and with a smile on my face I saw her head jerk back as she said to me “WOW! I can hear the difference!” I love it, now I just need a better source and a just may be cured……….maybe

May 2, 2003 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 6
To be continued...
evil_smiley.gif

Great story btw.

May 2, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 6
SENOR4Q,
that is very brave of you taking the plunge into upgraditis.

you are now slowly becoming a true headfier.

next year around this time of year = we will see another 3 part series of post from you and you will tell everyone that you replaced the akg k501,meta42 ,cables - with HIGHER END ONES.

May 4, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Matboy
Any pics of the modifications?

Seconded! Pitchers?

May 4, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Sorry guys about the pics but I left my digicam in NY, so no luck. One quick update, it's amazing that cables actualy need to be burned in. The impressions i posted remain but now are magnified. The biggest improvement though is the soundstage depth, much deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back