"I also don't see spending money on cables..."
Mar 29, 2009 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1
Nick_Charles, a non-believer in expensive cables, has been measuring the differences between different cables he's purchased or had sent to him to see if an audible difference can be heard. Though I'm a 'cable believer' myself, I'm not over the top about it, considering them the icing on the cake of a good system. olblueyez posted an interesting comment in Nick_Charles' Cable Test Enterprise thread which I find myself agreeing with:

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, if you guys (not Nick) spend as much time auditioning equipment as you do proving something to each other than you may already have the answers and feel comfortable with your conclusions as I am. I also don't see spending money on cables as a wise thing to do if other parts of your system need updating. In another thread some guy was evaluating cables with a sound card in his computer. Not very smart. If there are people here who fit into that group of people who purchased equipment in the wrong order then obviously you have put yourself in a situation where you have eliminated some or all of your chances for getting positive results. This is very common for people to spend 100 bucks on a LOD when they could have bought a LD amplifier. That is just an example but you get the meaning. One misconception I ran across in the cable thread was a fellow named Bullseye who was under the impression that people were claiming cables added some sort of sound quality or coloring instead of merely allowing these sonic qualities to pass from your source to your amp. One thing I noticed while building my system is that quick change comparisons reveal nothing as you need to become extremely familiar with your listening material before changing "ONE" piece of equipment to be in a situation to hear a difference. If someone says to me that they listened to their favorite music for 3 months with their system unchanged before they add a tube or cable then I will go out of my way to lend credibility to that persons findings. If someone says I got 2 sets of IC's together and swapped them out repeatedly in one afternoon then I have no interest in his findings as the best you could possibly hope for is being able to find a change at all, but finding the differences and being able to accurately express them? No way. Comments like these I make a point of ignoring, and for this reason I ignore anyone who mentions this type of testing. I believe Nick should have everything he needs to find a difference since he is comparing Silver to Copper. If he doesn't find a difference then I don't have any answers for you aside from there will never be a definitive answer to all this and the best thing for me personally is to use the methodology as described above to evaluated what goes into my system. Too many different people and too many different variables to really nail down a definite answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back