I almost died tonight
Aug 7, 2009 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53
This evening my wife and I were almost knocked over when we were crossing an intersection despite the 'Walk Now' illuminated sign. I'm scared to walk anywhere, I wanted to walk to the grocery store for dinner but have to risk my life to get there.

Please excuse my illustration, it might be a little hard to follow but I'll do my best.

crazy-drivers-1.jpg

Red = Stop
Green = Go
Blue = Go (If theres no cars coming)
Yellow = Me

At the intersection when A is safe to go to B and C is safe to go to D the pedestrian crossing lights up walk as E has a red light. However A can go to F if there is no traffic going from C to D which leaves people on the cross exposed to cars coming from A. Furthermore during this same time C can safely go to F as they have a green light, and E can go to D if there is no traffic going from C to D.

So as a pedestrian crossing on Walk, I have to watch out for traffic turning from A, traffic turning from C and traffic turning from E.

A = Safe when there is no traffic
C = Safe because of green turn arrow
E = Safe when there is no traffic

We were crossing in the direction of D to C when a car from A turned towards F, the drivers head was turned looking at C when he slammed on his brakes, flipped us off, and shouted some obscenities along the lines of watch where your $%#*# walking as he set off past us. The scary thing is he thought he was in the right and we were in the wrong for being in the middle of the road.

Last week 2 tourists were knocked over and rushed to hospital, there were no fatalities reported but this is a serious problem. I live just down the road from Disney in Beuna Vista (Even though this happens all over Florida) and there are a lot of tourists here both on the road and walking. It isn't necessarily the drivers fault because when A is turning on green they are only looking out for traffic coming from C, they can't see pedestrians crossing at night. C has a green turn signal when the pedestrians are instructed to walk and therefore they go without a second thought. E turns to D on Red because thats the law in America, granted they should look but half the time they are looking at cars on the road, not people crossing, and certainly not at night.

This is the law all over Florida, perhaps America.. is there anything I, A British born citizen can do about it?

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 53
Oh man, I had so many near death experiences looking the wrong way when I was walking around London. I wonder how many Brits in America / Americans in the UK get hit by cars every year.

Sorry about the ass who yelled obscenities. My girlfriend pulled one of these moves a few weeks ago and I chewed her out for it - apparently people forget that pedestrians always have the right of way. Good luck venturing back out into the world...

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 53
Yes, there is something you can do about it: you can write traffic safety manuals, because your post was unbelievably clear and well thought out/illustrated. I am a visual person, and your picture was extremely well done especially when used in conjunction with your story. Great job explaining your story!!!

As far as what you can do about the laws and your near hit, I am afraid to tell you that what you went through is common in Southern California as well. In fact, I am pretty sure it is common around the country. Drivers are not trained to look for people, rather, they are only on the lookout for cars and trucks (and that is really pushing the mental limits for many). Motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians are smaller and less common, therefore drivers are in the mental zone to look for autos only.

I know it is not what you want to hear, but if it makes you feel better, you had the right of way
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 53
Do not assume that they see you, or are even conscious. I cannot stress that enough.

I was almost run over once while wearing blaze orange coveralls, on an orange motorcycle. Really!

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 53
When I was interning at Disney the light outside the dorms was like that, I almost got hit at least 4 times... and I only interned there for 5 months!

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 53
This is how people drive in China. Traffic stop sign is merely a suggestion on what one 'should do' not what one 'must do'. So naturally, red light means 'go/turn when you think you can get away with it'.

The drivers in China are trained to drive into a crowd of people expecting the crowd to disperse upon the incoming of a 2ton pile of metal.

good luck and be safe.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 53
Thankfully you weren't seriously injured. I am a runner and have to deal with drivers not watching for pedestrians all the time.

I've had too many close calls and it's always the same. I always run towards oncoming traffic. The danger is when I come to an intersection where I have no stop sign, but the street I'm crossing has a stop sign. Drivers making a right turn towards me will often just roll through the stop sign while looking left to see if there is a car coming, never looking right or straight ahead into the direction I am coming from.

Please, please do not do this. You could kill someone, and it could be me.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 53
I don't know if there's anything you could do other than to make sure to wear reflective gear and light-colored/bright clothing and try to cross as quickly as possible.

I wish there was more to offer, but that intersection is a nightmare.

Nylan

PS: Don't die.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 53
What you can do is lobby the city council for better control between the crosswalk signal and the left turn signal.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 53
It's your job as a pedestrian to be constantly looking around for reckless/unobservant drivers. It is unfair, but you will get killed or badly injured if you are not excessively vigilant. And it really can be impossible to predict which driver will break the law. Still, most drivers are not concentrating on following the law, so being a pedestrian is inherently dangerous.

I have almost been run over several times, including once recently in Israel. I was so angry that I could have torn the guy's heart out of his chest with my bare hands. Fortunately for both of us, he just sat in his car while I let loose a stream of the most foul expletives I could muster. I was rattled for the rest of the day, so I know how you feel.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 53
Used to be on red, right turn was not allowed. So to save fuel, they allowed it only after a full stop (like a stop sign) and if there are no cars on the lane you are turning to or more importantly, pedestrians.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 53
Your state, city or county should intall this sign.
3797265070_0d234b43d1_o.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back